Pakistan official: 'Permanent cease-fire' in Swat

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source:AP

MINGORA, Pakistan – A Pakistani official says the government and the Taliban have agreed to a "permanent cease-fire" in the restive Swat Valley.

Syed Muhammad Javed, commissioner of the Malakand region which includes Swat, made the announcement at the Swat Press Club in Mingora. Both sides had agreed to the decision, he said, but would not give more details.

The Taliban on Sunday declared a 10-day cease-fire in a show of good will meant to bolster ongoing peace talks between the government and a Taliban-linked group. The government has already agreed to impose Islamic law in Swat if the militants stop fighting.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (AP) — An official says a roadside bomb apparently targeting an oil tanker exploded along a Pakistani supply line used by U.S.-led troops in Afghanistan.

Local government official Ameer Zada Khan says one person died and two people were wounded in the Saturday blast. Khan said the tanker was intended for use by NATO forces in Afghanistan.

The bomb was remote-controlled and exploded near Landi Kotal in the Khyber tribal region. Western forces in Afghanistan rely heavily on the Khyber Pass route that runs through the area, and militants have increasingly attacked it.

:bang: Some one need to take a lesson from history , these deals have never worked and it just gives them a chnace to regroup

Peace

True, but if, and it is a big if, the Pakistani govt has a decent plan to exploit the peace as well they could make some gains. It could buy time to improve infrastructure as well as on the ground resources. The Pakistan govt hasn't given up anything that they didn't have in the Swat valley - but it is the perception of what is happening that could be more damaging.

There is another thread about this, I also mentioned in that 1, that the Pakistani president would not ratify this, unless all the militants declared peace. I'm still trying to work through the significance, that the agreement was with Sufi Mohammad, father in law to leader for the Pakistan taliban in that area..

So I think provided the Pk govt has a clear plan and is ready to move quickly this could buy time. My gut and brain tell me that this is the thin end of the wedge.

Back