Pakistan accused of training Taliban bombers

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source

Following a recent spate of attacks by Taliban-al Qaeda groups in Afghanistan, a provincial governor has accused Pakistan of training and equipping Taliban suicide bombers who have killed at least 33 persons in Kandahar province, reports said on Wednesday.

"The suicide bombers are trained and equipped by Pakistan and then sent to Afghanistan for sabotage activities," Kandahar Governor Assadullah Khalid was quoted as saying.

He said Pakistan was "sheltering and allowing senior Taliban officials on its soil and, in some cases, the suicide bombers are even Pakistani nationals".

Khalid was quoted as saying "since all senior Taliban (leaders) have got their houses there (in Pakistan) and use some of them as training camps, the government should know what is going on".

Escalating violence has caused some NATO members to agonise over plans to send more peacekeeping troops to Southern Afghanistan to allow the US-led forces trim their presence there.

In a related report, it said the United Nations has closed its offices in Balochistan province of Pakistan following threats mentioning al Qaeda network...

Peace
-=SF_13=-

DK might send 200 extra troops down there... we just need the governments and NATO's agreement which we will (most likely) get... :)

anyways... its very disturbing news...

This isn't really a surprise, Pakistan was only one of three countries that recognized the Taliban as a legitimate government. During Operation Anaconda, Pakistani soldiers were found embedded with Taliban forces as they were making their escape across the bored. Pakistan was supposed to be blocking the exit. They also had and still have a tendency to pop a mortar or two over the border at US troops operating in the Konar and Paktika provinces.

Phoenix is right, I think that it is a known that Pakistan has had its hand in the terrorist cookie jar for some time now. Withing meaning to sound harsh, I'm not really sure why they are an "ally" of the United States. If anything, they are a hinderance to our efforts in the Global War on Terrorism. Sure, they toss out a few bad guy bones for us every now and again, but for the most part they are shady in their handling of affairs.

Morten said:
DK might send 200 extra troops down there... we just need the governments and NATO's agreement which we will (most likely) get... :)

anyways... its very disturbing news...

I understand that British troops will be replacing the Americans in southern Afghanistan!

Canada will also send up to 2000 troops within the next few months to take care of the business so Americans can reduce their presence in the region as well.

This is a great achievement!

Hi,

Source:Associated Press

Afghans Protest Pakistan After Bombing

SPINBOLDAK, Afghanistan - More than 5,000 people chanting "Death to Pakistan!" marched through two Afghan border towns Wednesday to protest a suicide bombing they blame on the neighboring country.

The blast at a wrestling match on Monday killed 21 people, making it the deadliest suicide attack since U.S.-led forces ousted the Taliban in 2001. No one has claimed responsibility, and a purported spokesman for the Taliban rebels denied involvement.

"Death to Pakistan! Death to al-Qaida! Death to the Taliban!" the protesters shouted as they marched to the towering Friendship Gate that marks Waish's border crossing with Pakistan.

The protesters also made their way through the larger town of Spinboldak, another key border crossing. Most shops in the two neighboring towns were closed because of the protest.

Afghan officials have repeatedly claimed that the Taliban and other militant groups have training bases in Pakistan and are receiving support from that side of the border — an accusation Islamabad denies.

An Afghan tribal elder who spoke at the demonstration said that attackers in Monday's bombing had trained in Pakistan.

"They kill us Afghans. They kill tribesmen and they want tribesmen living in Pakistan and

Afghanistan to fight with each other," said Akhtar Mohammed Qabail.
Hours before Monday's explosion, President Hamid Karzai told reporters he believed most of those responsible for about 20 suicide attacks in the past three months have been foreigners, though he did not say from where.

Pakistan strengthened security on its side of the border during the protest and the crossing was closed temporarily until the demonstrations subsided.

Source:BBC News

Afghans protest at bomb attacks

_41229638_bomb_203b_afp.jpg
The attack in Spin Boldak killed more than 20 people

Hundreds of Afghans have demonstrated in the southern town of Spin Boldak, where at least 20 people were killed in a suspected suicide bombing on Monday.

Protesters urged civilians to be spared and condemned the Taleban and Pakistan, which Afghans say shelters militants.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has ordered an inquiry into the bombing.

Meanwhile, the UN has reopened offices just over the border in Pakistan. They shut on Tuesday after a threat which officials now say was not credible.

QUICK GUIDE
inline_dashed_line.gif

Afghanistan

Shops and markets in Spin Boldak were closed and the nearby border with Pakistan much quieter than usual amid fears of further attacks.

Two other suspected suicide bombings in Kandahar on Sunday and Monday killed at least seven people, among them a senior Canadian diplomat.

Wrestling match

Kandahar governor Assadullah Khalid said the protesters had gathered to express their outrage at the bloodiest of the three attacks, in Spin Boldak.
_41222106_afghan_kand_spin_map203.gif

The protesters chanted "death to Pakistan, death to al-Qaeda and death to the Taleban" as they marched through the town.

Afghan officials say the suicide bomber who carried out Monday's attack came from Pakistan, where they allege militants live and receive "training".

It is an accusation that has been made before and one that Islamabad denies.
Monday's bombing, which killed civilians at a wrestling match held to mark the Muslim holiday of Eid, has caused real anger and shock in Spin Boldak, the BBC's Catherine Davis says.

Attacks in southern Afghanistan are not unusual. But they generally target foreign troops or Afghans linked to the government.

'Enemies'
President Karzai said he had called for an investigation into where those behind recent attacks had been trained and who supports them.
He blamed the bombing on "the enemies of Afghanistan".

Afghan intelligence officials say their information indicates a group of fighters entered the country at the end of last month.

Amid the rise in violence in Afghanistan, the UN suspended operations just over the border in Pakistan on Monday after a telephone threat to its offices in Quetta.

But on Wednesday, UN staff started going back to work.
"It turned out not to be a credible threat," UN humanitarian co-ordinator in Pakistan Jan Vandemoortele said.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

"Death to al-Qaida! Death to the Taliban!" the protesters shouted

its bad with the suicide bombings, but it seems like the people in Afghanistan is beginning to understand who the "enemy" is... or not?

Hi,

Morten said:
its bad with the suicide bombings, but it seems like the people in Afghanistan is beginning to understand who the "enemy" is... or not?

Morten , Afganistan was Always been Against Taliban or Al Quida ......... Taliban was a Pakistan Sponsored (Pakistani Students that's what the word means Students from pakistani Madarsas)b acked by Pakistan Army and Intelligence , that Took Over Afganistan ........... it was Forced upon them.

India and Afganistan Were Traditionally Close to each other .............. After Taliban took Over India has Armed , trained and kept the Northen Alliance Alive .......... without India's and Iran's Support it would have been Difficult if not Impossible for them to Fight the Pakistan Sponsored talibanis for So long .

Peace
-=SF-13=-

Last edited:
SwordFish_13 said:
Hi,

Morten , Afganistan was Always been Against Taliban or Al Quida ......... Taliban was a Pakistan Sponsored (Pakistani Students that's what the word means Students from pakistani Madarsas)b acked by Pakistan Army and Intelligence , that Took Over Afganistan ........... it was Forced upon them.

India and Afganistan Were Traditionally Close to each other .............. After Taliban took Over India has Armed , trained and kept the Northen Alliance Alive .......... without India's and Iran's Support it would have been Difficult if not Impossible for them to Fight the Pakistan Sponsored talibanis for So long .

Peace
-=SF-13=-

thx m8!.. always nice with some new info :)

phoenix80 said:
just compare the behavior of Afghans with their liberated muslim brothers in Iraq!
Now don't say that Pakistan send militants there too! :sarc:

PJ24 said:
This isn't really a surprise, Pakistan was only one of three countries that recognized the Taliban as a legitimate government. During Operation Anaconda, Pakistani soldiers were found embedded with Taliban forces as they were making their escape across the bored. Pakistan was supposed to be blocking the exit. They also had and still have a tendency to pop a mortar or two over the border at US troops operating in the Konar and Paktika provinces.

Phoenix is right, I think that it is a known that Pakistan has had its hand in the terrorist cookie jar for some time now. Withing meaning to sound harsh, I'm not really sure why they are an "ally" of the United States. If anything, they are a hinderance to our efforts in the Global War on Terrorism. Sure, they toss out a few bad guy bones for us every now and again, but for the most part they are shady in their handling of affairs.
And suddenly you fail to realize that Pakistan provided bases to US military for bombing missions in Afghanistan and shared intelligence with your nation's forces!

Also Musharraf even replaced the ISI chief (As he was Pro-Taliban) with another more trusted one.

Then after some militants entered our territory, our forces nabbed hundreds of them and gave them to you with passage of time, who are now sitting in Camp-X in Cuba for interrogation purposes.

You also failed to realize that despite the resistance of some political parties and people, our government continues to co-operate with US in this "War on Terror".

It is very easy to dis-credit an ally but my advice to you is to take Media reports with less importance.

The Afghan-Pak border (Durand Line) is 1600 KM long and very difficult to be manned completely because of large number of rugged mountainous regions there.

Also, you fail to realize that their are some elements in Afghanistan who are causing problems for your troops and Afghan government.

Musharraf has been telling Americans to raize the number of troops in Afghanistan but they don't do that. Why?

We have deployed over 75000 troops on Durand Line. And fought with hundreds of militants and killed them in that region.

My advice to you is to correct your imagination and knowledge before posting!

SwordFish_13 said:
Sir! not all Taliban arrived from Pakistan.

Most of the Taliban comprises of Afghans!

Their training began in our country during the period of Afghan-Soviet War. And not to forget that CIA funded this move! :sarc:

Since then, this thing continued!

And you are also forgetting that after the war ended, US left both Pakistan and Afghanistan for nothing. They even did not tried to establish Democracy there.

And do you know what happened then?

Civil War broke out and many people were being being killed on daily basis, which was also having a bad impact on our western provinces. Instability was increasing with steady pace. So we needed to do something before things would get out of hand. These mujahideen even bombed our 30 Truck convoy heading for trade related purposes.

Thus Taliban was the only group that was co-operating with us.

And my advice to you is to get your facts straight as well and stop propagating about us! :sarc:

I am really getting tired of this non-sense!

Last edited:
SwordFish_13 said:
Hi,

Peace
-=SF-13=-

Pakis are very extremist muslims and I read stuff on Paki soldiers escaping the operation enduring freedom theater to avoid capture by American soldiers.

It means that Pakis were fighting along with the taliban in Afghanistan.

TBA_PAKI said:
And suddenly you fail to realize that Pakistan provided bases to US military for bombing missions in Afghanistan and shared intelligence with your nation's forces!

Also Musharraf even replaced the ISI chief (As he was Pro-Taliban) with another more trusted one.

Then after some militants entered our territory, our forces nabbed hundreds of them and gave them to you with passage of time, who are now sitting in Camp-X in Cuba for interrogation purposes.

You also failed to realize that despite the resistance of some political parties and people, our government continues to co-operate with US in this "War on Terror".

It is very easy to dis-credit an ally but my advice to you is to take Media reports with less importance.

The Afghan-Pak border (Durand Line) is 1600 KM long and very difficult to be manned completely because of large number of rugged mountainous regions there.

Also, you fail to realize that their are some elements in Afghanistan who are causing problems for your troops and Afghan government.

Musharraf has been telling Americans to raize the number of troops in Afghanistan but they don't do that. Why?

We have deployed over 75000 troops on Durand Line. And fought with hundreds of militants and killed them in that region.

My advice to you is to correct your imagination and knowledge before posting!

I gotta be honest with you I find your hostile and arrogant tone to be a little offsetting. Maybe I'm not aware that you are the omniscient being on all things Pakistan and Pakistan related. Or maybe you aren't aware that other people have experience in the region. Either way, I'm not interested in a pissing match. It's kinda a waste of time.

I am well aware of our current agreenment with Pakistan. I was deployed there and staged out of Jbad at the start of OEF. No where did I fail to recognize anything. You're trying to excuse the actions of Pakistan by deflecting the subject to Afgahnistan. It just doesn't work.

My information doesn't come from the media, which is why I didn't provide any links to sources. What I know comes from my experiences. Like it or not, Pakistan has a double face when it comes to the War on Terrorism. On the one hand, they allow us with strict guidlines and restrictions to use their territory and air space but on the other hand, they fund and support terrorist activities. Sure they'll throw us a bone every now and again and nab a guy, but for the most part, Pakistan is a huge supporter of terrorism. I stick by my comment that Pakistan is no true ally to the United States.

Until Pakistan changes their ways, they will always be a terrorist supporting nation. You don't need a newspaper to tell you that.

Welp, my imagination is burnt out from pretending to type all of this. So I'll go on and cut it off here. :mrgreen:

Hi,

phoenix80 said:
It means that Pakis were fighting along with the taliban in Afghanistan.
That is no Secret .... How can people who were so Much Embedded into each other just split ..... there were many who were left behind. :mrgreen:

After 9/11 and the Mussarafs U-turn in its policy of support for the Taliban was complete turnaround from twenty years of clandestine support to jihadi parties and the growth of a jihadi culture, which has sustained its policies in Kashmir and Central Asia .......... The Culture Dosen't Die in One day ....... Mussaraf Didn't had many choices at that Time.

Most Taliban emerged from madrassas in Pakistan ....... Musharraf has always treated the Taliban differently than he did al-Qaeda ....... For instance, even though Pakistan has arrested and handed over to the US many senior al-Qaeda leaders, not a single senior Taliban commander has been handed over by Pakistan to either the US or the Afghan government

It is an open secret in Pakistan that virtually the entire leadership of the Taliban military hierarchy lives and operates out of Pakistan in and Around the City of Quetta.

Direct Military Support
Observers interviewed by Human Rights Watch in Afghanistan and Pakistan have reported that Pakistani aircraft assisted with troop rotations of Taliban forces during combat operations in late 2000 and that senior members of Pakistan's intelligence agency and army were involved in planning major Taliban military operations.103 The extent of this support has attracted widespread international criticism. In November 2000 the U.N. secretary-general implicitly accused Pakistan of providing such support.104 The U.S. government was sufficiently concerned about the possibility of Pakistani involvement in the capture of the town of Taloqan by the Taliban in September 2000 that it issued a démarche to the Pakistani government in late 2000, asking for assurances that Pakistan had not been involved.105 The démarche listed features of the assault on Taloqan that suggested the Taliban had received outside assistance in planning and carrying out the attack. These features were uncharacteristic of the Taliban's known capabilities, including the length of the preparatory artillery fire, the fact that much of the fighting took place at night, the Taliban's willingness to sustain heavy casualties, and the disciplined halting of the offensive after the city fell.106 This would not be the first time that the Taliban suddenly showed new military prowess and innovation. On several occasions between 1995 and 1999, the Taliban's military skills improved abruptly on the eve of particularly pivotal battles, and in one case, declined just as abruptly after a credible threat of intervention was made by an outside power. During its offensives in 1995 against Herat and in 1996 against Kabul, for example, the Taliban suffered heavy losses after mounting attacks against veteran government forces. Initial defeats were followed by a period of quiet; then Taliban troops mounted new attacks, displaying capabilities that had been conspicuously lacking before. At Herat in April 1995, a 6,000-man Taliban army was defeated by government troops after it ran short of ammunition and other logistical support; the rout was such that some analysts predicted that the Taliban phenomenon had run its course.107 Instead, after retraining and refitting, in August 1995 Taliban troops retreating in the face of an offensive by government troops suddenly counterattacked, ambushing the government's spearhead forces while mobile units mounted in 4x4 pickup trucks outflanked the government army and cut the roads connecting it with its rear-area supply depots. Retreating government units tried and failed to establish a defensive line as Taliban units in pickup trucks-many armed with antiaircraft cannon and rocket launchers-repeatedly outflanked the new positions and attacked from the rear, leaving the paved roads at will and driving their vehicles across open ground and rugged, hilly terrain. The pickup trucks, whose delivery was facilitated by Pakistan, introduced a kind of mobile warfare that had not been seen in the fighting before.
If you are Interested you can read the Complete Human Right watch Report Here HRW

PEace
-=SF_13=-

Last edited:
phoenix80 said:
Pakis are very extremist muslims and I read stuff on Paki soldiers escaping the operation enduring freedom theater to avoid capture by American soldiers.

It means that Pakis were fighting along with the taliban in Afghanistan

Phoenix dude!

Those were not Pakistani soldiers but local and mis-guided people sent from the border regions!

PJ24 said:
I gotta be honest with you I find your hostile and arrogant tone to be a little offsetting. Maybe I'm not aware that you are the omniscient being on all things Pakistan and Pakistan related. Or maybe you aren't aware that other people have experience in the region. Either way, I'm not interested in a pissing match. It's kinda a waste of time.

I am well aware of our current agreenment with Pakistan. I was deployed there and staged out of Jbad at the start of OEF. No where did I fail to recognize anything. You're trying to excuse the actions of Pakistan by deflecting the subject to Afgahnistan. It just doesn't work.

My information doesn't come from the media, which is why I didn't provide any links to sources. What I know comes from my experiences. Like it or not, Pakistan has a double face when it comes to the War on Terrorism. On the one hand, they allow us with strict guidlines and restrictions to use their territory and air space but on the other hand, they fund and support terrorist activities. Sure they'll throw us a bone every now and again and nab a guy, but for the most part, Pakistan is a huge supporter of terrorism. I stick by my comment that Pakistan is no true ally to the United States.

Until Pakistan changes their ways, they will always be a terrorist supporting nation. You don't need a newspaper to tell you that.

Welp, my imagination is burnt out from pretending to type all of this. So I'll go on and cut it off here. :mrgreen:
Well! you should be happy that our government is co-operating with your country!

Otherwise, things would be difficult!

PAKI people might have two faces but you should understand that people in NWFP share ethnic relationship with people in Afghanistan. So they will sympathize for each other!

Afghanistan is not a united nation as well. Warlord culture is heavily pre-valent.

And in our case, we are slowly ending this culture in NWFP!

So give us a credit for that!

And of-course, we are sovereign nation and we cannot allow any nation to openly do whatever it wants to do in our territory. And you people should accept that!

Pakistan is not your colony!

And don't tell me that Americans are innocent in worldy affairs!

SwordFish_13 said:
Hi,

That is no Secret .... How can people who were so Much Embedded into each other just split ..... there were many who were left behind. :mrgreen:

After 9/11 and the Mussarafs U-turn in its policy of support for the Taliban was complete turnaround from twenty years of clandestine support to jihadi parties and the growth of a jihadi culture, which has sustained its policies in Kashmir and Central Asia .......... The Culture Dosen't Die in One day ....... Mussaraf Didn't had many choices at that Time.

Most Taliban emerged from madrassas in Pakistan ....... Musharraf has always treated the Taliban differently than he did al-Qaeda ....... For instance, even though Pakistan has arrested and handed over to the US many senior al-Qaeda leaders, not a single senior Taliban commander has been handed over by Pakistan to either the US or the Afghan government

It is an open secret in Pakistan that virtually the entire leadership of the Taliban military hierarchy lives and operates out of Pakistan in and Around the City of Quetta.

-=SF_13=-
Well! for your ignorance!

Here is the history of Taliban!

Who Are the Taliban?
Afghanistan's ruling faction, 1996–2001

by Laura Hayes (A westerner)

The Taliban ("Students of Islamic Knowledge Movement") ruled Afghanistan from 1996 until 2001. They came to power during Afghanistan's long civil war. Although they managed to hold 90% of the country's territory, their policies—including their treatment of women and support of terrorists—ostracized them from the world community. The Taliban was ousted from power in December 2001 by the U.S. military and Afghani opposition forces in response to the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack on the U.S.

The Taliban's rise to power

The Taliban are one of the mujahideen ("holy warriors" or "freedom fighters") groups that formed during the war against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan (1979-89). After the withdrawal of Soviet forces, the Soviet-backed government lost ground to the mujahideen. In 1992, Kabul was captured and an alliance of mujahideen set up a new government with Burhanuddin Rabbani as interim president. However, the various factions were unable to cooperate and fell to fighting each other. Afghanistan was reduced to a collection of territories held by competing warlords.

Groups of taliban ("religious students") were loosely organized on a regional basis during the occupation and civil war. Although they represented a potentially huge force, they didn't emerge as a united entity until the taliban of Kandahar made their move in 1994. In late 1994, a group of well-trained taliban were chosen by Pakistan to protect a convoy trying to open a trade route from Pakistan to Central Asia. They proved an able force, fighting off rival mujahideen and warlords. The taliban then went on to take the city of Kandahar, beginning a surprising advance that ended with their capture of Kabul in September 1996.

Afghanistan under the Taliban

The Taliban's popularity with the Afghan people surprised the country's other warring factions. Many Afghans, weary of conflict and anarchy, were relieved to see corrupt and often brutal warlords replaced by the devout Taliban, who had some success in eliminating corruption, restoring peace, and allowing commerce to resume.

My addition: This means that many people in Afghanistan assisted and supported Taliban's move to power. Not just ISI!

Here is thes source: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/taliban.html

Last edited:
Hi,

You mean this

Mullah Mohammed Omar, a 35-year-old cleric who fought against the mujahideen, founded the Taliban Militia in the Maiwand district of Southern Afghanistan. Influential traders in Pakistan financed their early campaigns. The initial membership of the Taliban Militia was approximately 30 former students of madrassahs (Islamic religious seminaries, located in central Asia) who had fought against the Soviets in Afghanistan. The Taliban militia was also supported by the madrassahs in the Afghani refugee camps, businessmen and religious leaders with connections to the Pakistani religious party, Jamiat-I-Ulema Islami. The Taliban Militia has grown to approximately 10,000-15,000 men.

Rise to power

After the fall of the Soviet-backed Democratic Republic of Afghanistan in 1992, Afghanistan was thrown into civil war between competing warlords. The Taliban eventually emerged as a force capable of bringing order to the country. The rise of the Taliban helped the economy by eliminating the payments that warlords demanded from business people; it brought political benefits by reducing factional fighting (although the Taliban fought aggressively against its enemies, its relative hegemony reduced the number of factions) and brought relative stability by imposing a set of norms on a chaotic society. Although the radical ideology of the Taliban would later alienate many, several observers initially considered its emergence as a positive development.

Taliban legend has it that in the spring of 1994, upon hearing of the abduction and rape of two girls at a mujahideen checkpoint in the village of Sang Hesar near Kandahar, local mullah Mohammed Omar, a veteran of the Harakat-i Inqilab-i Islami faction of the mujahideen, gathered thirty other taliban into a fighting force, rescued the girls and hanged the commander of the mujahideen. After this incident, Taliban legend goes, the services of these pious religious fighters were in much demand from villagers plagued by unruly mujahideen, and thus the Taliban were born. (Note: This is legend. The Taliban were already making international news in such papers as the Irish Times as early as first quarter 1990. The part about Omar's involvement may be true, but not about it causing the rise of the Taliban movement as a whole.)

Following this incident, Omar fled to the neighboring Balochistan province of Pakistan, from where he emerged in the fall of 1994, reportedly with a well-armed and well-funded militia of 1,500 followers, who would provide protection for a Pakistani trade convoy carrying goods overland to Turkmenistan. However, many reports suggest that the convoy was in fact full of Pakistani fighters posing as Taliban, and that the Taliban had gained considerable arms, military training, and economic aid from the Pakistanis.

Last edited:
SwordFish_13!

Those 1500 followers were also Afghan people trained here!

Mujahideen had been trained here during Soviet-Afghan war so that move isn't surprising!

I told you before and I am telling you now that most of the Taliban Militia Force was formed of Afghan Mujahids and included some Pakistani men!

And Mullah Omar is also Afghani!

Hi,

TBA_PAKI said:
SwordFish_13!

Those 1500 followers were also Afghan people trained here!

Mujahideen had been trained here during Soviet-Afghan war so that move isn't surprising!

I told you before and I am telling you now that most of the Taliban Militia Force was formed of Afghan Mujahids and included some Pakistani men!

And Mullah Omar is also Afghani!

And he Human Right Watch Report ?. ....... those People are Biased too ..:camo:

Back