Pak buys 36 advanced China's J-10 fighter jets

longriver

Pakistan seems to have donned the role of a guinea pig-***-promotion agent for China's arsenal experiments, as it is all set to buy at least 36 advanced fighter jets from China in a landmark deal for about $1.4 billion (Rs 6,500 crore), reported the Financial Times.

Pakistani officials confirmed the deal and said they might buy "larger numbers" of the J-10 fighter aircraft in the near future.

As part of the initial agreement, China will supply two squadrons of the fighter jets.

"This agreement should not simply be seen in the narrow context of Pakistan's relations with China," said Abdul Qayyum, a retired Pakistani general told the paper.

"There is a wider dimension. By sharing its advanced technology with Pakistan, China is also saying to the world that its defence capability is growing rapidly."

Though China has earlier supplied Pakistan with fighter jets, this is the first time that it is supplying advanced jets to Pakistan in such large numbers.

According to defence experts, it is not just a deal, but also Pakistan's stamp of approval on China's advancing military power and will help in increasing China's sales of the fighter jet.

"Countries like Iran and possibly some of the Middle Eastern countries would be keen to deal with China if they can find technology which is comparable to the west," said a western official in Islamabad [ Images ] told the paper.

"Pakistan will work as the laboratory to try out Chinese aircraft. If they work well with the Pakistani air force, others will follow," he added.

Over the years, Pakistan has spent billions buying fighter jets from leading military powers.

In the 1970s, it bought Mirage fighter jets from France [ Images ], and in the 80s, it turned to the US for F-16s. The Pakistani air force has at least 45 F-16s, and will receive 18 more of the upgraded version of F-16 and 12 of the older version from the US soon to be used in the war against the Taliban [ Images ].

China and Pakistan have also jointly built an advanced fighter jet, JF-17, commonly known as 'Thunder'. Pakistan also plans to buy at least 250 of the Thunder jets over the next few years.

While China has already come up with its indigenous aircraft, Pakistan will reportedly release its version of 'Thunder' in a few weeks.

source:http://forum.globaltimes.cn/forum/showthread.php?t=8692

I think Pakistan should NO buy Chinese aircraft, instead they should by western aircraft such as the F-18 and more of the F-16's.

Thats pretty much the only thing that could be able to hold up a bit of a fight against an Indian MKI.

This is superb.
Better to fly J-10,s against the Taleban then nothing.

I can´t see another conflict in the near nor forseable future for Pakistan.
India are way to strong to attack and I doubt India are crazy enough to do so.

The words clear up your own mess first comes to mind.

Pakistan worries me, they must have paid a pretty penny for those jets, and with the instability in some regions of the country combined with them having nukes? and not so hot relations with another regional nuclear power? This will be interesting.

I dont think the IAF should worry against the Pakistani airforce. I mean seriously...

Once India selects its new fighter aircraft and gets more Su-30MKI, by 2016 they will be pretty kickass.

Back