A page from the past

Mark Conley

Believe it or not, this was an actual question from an officer’s test in the US Army back in the 1870's.

You are the lieutenant of a platoon of men consisting of one Non Commissioned Officer and eight private soldiers. You have been given a timber, rope, rock and support, and all fasteners required for a flagstaff forty feet high. You have been given this material and men to erect a flagpole in front of the General Headquarters building for your post. What shall your actions be to get the flagpole erected? :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The correct answer? Turn to the NCO and order him to erect the flagpole in front of the General Headquarters’ building. Any other answer was a failing grade! :D

lol... i hate those questions/answers... like the worksheets that make you do all this crap and they say read everything before doing anything... and then at the botton it says put your name on the top and thats it.... and it says to like mooo and yell your name and stuff

"Joint chiefs, erect the flagpole."
"General, erect the flagpole."
"Colonel, erect the flagpole."
"Lt. Colonel, erect the flagpole."
"Major, erect the flagpole."
"Captain, erect the flagpole."
"Lieutenant, erect the flagpole!"
"Sergeant, erect the flagpole."
"Maggots, erect the flagpole!"

As a MSgt I would have to get the order from the lieutenant and then deligate the orders to the airmen (so no sweat...atleast for me)

Back