PA Lt. Gov attents Marine's funeral, speaks against war

Duty Honor Country

Here is one for dumbest political moves of the year

Knoll apologizes for funeral misunderstanding
By Sandra Tolliver
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll issued a contrite apology Monday to the widow of a fallen Marine from Westwood, saying she didn't mean to offend his family by attending his funeral, giving her business card to his aunt and speaking against the war in Iraq.

The apology came after hundreds of outraged people from Pennsylvania and across the country swamped Knoll's and Gov. Ed Rendell's offices with phone calls and e-mails, many demanding Knoll's resignation or impeachment and others faulting the governor for telling the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the state takes no position on the war.

"I don't know anything about your state, but this lieutenant governor should be run out of the state, maybe the nation," wrote Gary Dirks, of Redding, Calif., in one of dozens of e-mails sent to the Trib. "Judgment is critical for persons in public positions; she has none. Gosh, I have not heard anything so idiotic occurring in a while."

"Your lieutenant governor should be impeached and removed from office," Tom Ferstl of Belton, Texas, said in another e-mail. "Is that the image you people wish to send to the terrorists?...

READ MORE

I don't know what's more miserable. The fact that she did it, or that she didn't think it would be offensive.

Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll --> :shoothea:

Back