P6M - Cold War Aircraft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P6M_SeaMaster

I kind of miss the old Cold War aircraft. They were so varied and showed the kind of imagination that was going on in the design bureaus to win the defense contracts and beat the Soviets.

A flying boat strategic bomber. WOW! Now that's a thought isn't it?

Even Hollywood got into the whole cold war fighter thing, remember Firefox, one of the Clint Eastwood movies I actually enjoyed, I consider it a cold war classic.

180px-MiG-31_Firefox.jpg

Yeah that thing too. A water skimming transport errr... boat I guess because it can't really fly and uses ground effect to get a cushion of air under its fuselage... hull... err whatever.
So it was a transport vehicle equipped for ASW? Interesting... almost sounds like a completed model of a heated argument!
But like I said, stuff like these added to the color of the Cold War.

What is funny - that <thing> (`Lun'`) can be seen in Google Earth... take a look on sea shore near Kaspiysk... ;-)

How'd you find that? Google Earth a hobby of yours?
I guess I read somewhere it is stored in Kaspiysk (it was a while ago, you just actualize the topic)... so only thing left to do was to take a look on aquatory near that city.

If continuing the theme `Cold War and Google Earth`, take also look on what is at:
51°18'18.41"N
30° 4'1.33"E

;)

It is certainly not boat and not plane, but VERY connected to Cold War...

Back