P.O.W. Escape

Springfield

During the war, no German prisoner of war escaped from Britain. Many believe that Franz von Werra was the most notable escapee but von Werra made his escape in Canada, where he was sent as a POW. (In Canada there were twenty-one Prisoner-Of-War camps set up during WW11)

The most audacious attempt was made by Lt. Heinz Schnabel and Oblt. Harry Wappler on November 24, 1941. The two Luftwaffe officers were prisoners in Camp No.15 near Penrith, Northumbria (formally the Shap Wells Hotel). Forging papers that identified them as two Dutch officers serving in the RAF, they made their way to the RAF airfield at Kingstown near Carlisle. Without difficulty they entered the station and with the help of a ground mechanic started the engine of a Miles Magister, of which there were fifty parked around the airfield. Taking off, they headed for the sea and Holland, a distance of some 365 miles. Over the North Sea they realized they could not make it (the maximum range of a Magister was 367 miles on full tanks). Rather reluctantly they decided to turn back and landed in a field about five miles north of Great Yarmouth. Back at Camp No. 15 again, the two daring escapees were sentenced to 28 days solitary confinement.

Cool story.

I'm not sure how on-point this is, but notice how in the modern day how if an al-quaida escapes prison is is really AGRIVATING... I mean, like I want him killed.

Oppose this to thes stories of German POW escapes who I see as "aw, that's a very cool story." I wonder if I'd want them executed like the al-quaida guys had I lived in 1941?

If this is a good twist on the subject then cool, if it's a hijack then sorry man.

Maybe the reason why you sometimes feel like that or whatever is because you are actually living through it and you are in the time period of when all the terrorism happend/happening. You weren't around during World War 2. (unless you are really old :p) That's my guess.

I think I've heard it before. A German POW escaped from Canadian and on the way to America border but he didn't make it America, Canadians got him before he enter America.

Whispering Death said:
Cool story.

I'm not sure how on-point this is, but notice how in the modern day how if an al-quaida escapes prison is is really AGRIVATING... I mean, like I want him killed.

Oppose this to thes stories of German POW escapes who I see as "aw, that's a very cool story." I wonder if I'd want them executed like the al-quaida guys had I lived in 1941?

If this is a good twist on the subject then cool, if it's a hijack then sorry man.

Al-Qaida members aren't POWs. They are Enemy combatants with no rights whatsoever, according to your government.

Back