Owning a Mosin Nagant Rifle.... (Anyones advice)

Kilgore

Alright, i know this forum isn't just political, but it is also dedicated to the red army. Of course, im a fan of the red army and thats primarily why im in this forum. Its odd how i don't participate in military discussions here but i go to several other military forums anyway.

Brief overview of the rifle
This topic is about the most mass produced bolt action rifle in WW2. It fires 7.62x54mm bullets and is made mostly in Tula and izhvesk factories. Some say it is a bit of an ugly rifle but i like its shape and it drips with history

mosin.jpg

AIM: To own a mosin nagant which is moderatly accurate in shooting, but also not too expensive.

Ok, here is the situation... I just sent in my firearm licence application form and damn it took a while to sign because i needed to get some high ranking members of society writing statutory comments and such. Im torn between two mosin nagants, one that is from another state (New South Wales, Sydney) and there is a more expensive and more better in aspects of quality finnish mosin. Lawrence Ordnance which is the store in Sydney, sells loads of Russian Mosin Nagants (Izhvesk) that have been refurbished after WW2 for $360. Whats even more surprising is that it comes with a bayonet, sling and a cleaning kit. Im a bit suspicious about this rifle because its rather cheap. Likely to be an inaccurate rifle when shooting. Here is the link to the rifle(s) in sydney.

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/new/rifle.html

As for the better finnish one. It is a Mosin M1921. I believe its a possible finnish capture during the revolution and has a shorter barrel, so its possibly made for cavalry troops. The Dealer is charging this rifle for over $450 and informs me that if i wish to hit targets accurately, i should get this mosin. It looks very nice and a close friend of mine dealed with this guy before, getting an accurate Lee-enifled/Longbranch.

Im confused with which one i should go for and if i had a job now, it would be the finnish one. However i wish for a russian mosin nagant, but the problem is that if the russian mosin is faulty, it would be hard to return it because i got this from another state. I also like to ask whether if this rifle (Mosin Nagants in general) is a good rifle anyway. Is it reliable and accurate in general?

I also like to ask whether if this rifle (Mosin Nagants in general) is a good rifle anyway. Is it reliable and accurate in general?

Cant really say much about the full length version but I had the shorter "Dragoon Rifle M1891" (although I thought it had a 10 round mag) and it was a very nice little weapon however it had one hell of a kick to it.

As for which one to go for well if you are a fan of the red army then I would get the Russian version over the Finnish one.

I am looking at my Mosin Nagant Rifle right now 8)

Last year my brother and I bought 2 of them last year for about $115 each. I believe they were both refurbished. Mine was built in 1932. We bought them from the gun pages here in the US. I have the hex reciever so I can add a scope at a later time. The round recievers cannot have a scope. Keep that in mind.

As for accuracy they are both dead on. At 100 meters with Iron sights, I had one hell of a shot group. I cannot wait to add a scope. When you fire, make sure you hold it right. Firing a 7.62x54 will let your shoulder know when you are holding it wrong.

The only problem we had was one of the rifles had a hard trigger pull. We took both weapons apart, cleaned them, and filed down a piece on the trigger and there was no more hard trigger pull. Good luck on taking apart the bolt. It still takes me a few minutes to get the thing back together.

Got anyother questions?

Dragoon is still much like the original WW2 mosin, only just a bit shorter. I have heard stories about how the shorter ones really pack a punch for the shoulder though. :lol:

Im actually going to sydney in 2 weeks time. I'll go to the store and do a bit of inspecting and ask them the template number of the rifle i like best. So when ready, i can send it down to my local firearm store.

Thats great to hear Doody. I have been a little reluctant to own one since i had several people telling me how crappy they are at accuracy. My friends told me that a gun store owner had a mosin and said they are for people who watch too much enemy at the gates. He also said it is unreliable, inaccurate and the woof chips easily. Who knows really... it could even be one of those very old versions, built in the late 1800's or built in china. (Sorry chinese)

I saw how hard it is, when disassembling the bolt from surplusrifle.com. I think the bolt can even fly out of ones hands when pressed against a piece of wood. Well thanks for letting me know how good they are. Like i said, i always get mixed opinions on the rifle.

Mosin Nagant's are cheap, I go to Big Five Sporting Goods store and buy one for less than $100, explain this too me. because there's so damn many of them probably, although an M1 Garand or My M1903 Springfield cost a hell of a lot more.

You are so damn lucky! For aussies like me, mosins are a few. WW2 rifles are no longer being imported to the country too.

Good news! I went to a militaria show on saturday and i found a decent Mosin Nagant 1938, built by izhevsk. Though the 1938 model is shorter than the traditional ones made for the infantry, the 1938 is still a decent rifle used by artillary, armor and truck troops in WW2. The stock has a few dings and the barrel needs some cleaning, but for $200 dollars, im very wrapped.

It looks much like this. The only problem though is that when i fire this, its going to kick like a horse. Oh my shoulder will regret this.

M38.jpg

Kilgore said:
Good news! I went to a militaria show on saturday and i found a decent Mosin Nagant 1938, built by izhevsk. Though the 1938 model is shorter than the traditional ones made for the infantry, the 1938 is still a decent rifle used by artillary, armor and truck troops in WW2. The stock has a few dings and the barrel needs some cleaning, but for $200 dollars, im very wrapped.

It looks much like this. The only problem though is that when i fire this, its going to kick like a horse. Oh my shoulder will regret this.

nice to see you found a good deal. I told you that 7.62x54 round ain't no joke. How accurate is it?

Well, right now im still waiting for my licence to come up which should be around shortly. Things got a little delayed because i missed a small part in the paper work, but once that is sort out, i'll process the papers for obtaining the firearm and pick it up as soon as i get the go sign.

I agree about the 7.62x54 round being something not to joke about. I bought 10 rounds and they are huge! I wonder how i'll cope with the Mosin Carbine rifle. :?

Well it sort of works different with WW2 rifles out here. Normally when you buy them they are some what dirty. The first thing i'll do after buying it, is to disassemble it and clean every part there is.

shoulder pain

Hello everyone I am new to this web sight and a priud owner of a 1915 Mosin Nagant rifle, I really enjoy reading about the differant rifles you have. Go on line to Official Soviet Mosin -Nagant Rifle Manual @www.paladin-press.com this manual will tell you everything about your rifles and the year that they were made.

Last edited:
If you would go to Davids collectables on line you will find a rubber butt plate that will help with the kick.

Go to Davids collectables you will find a rubber butt plate for your rifle that will take the punch out of your shoulder.

special rifles

These rifles are very accurate for up to one mile that is if you can hold it still that long, put a good sand bag infront for the weight of the barrel and you will find your target every time. I don't know who said these rifles are'nt very good for shooting well Guns & Ammo says differantly they highly recomend these rifles not only for the price but how they put meat on the table. The prices are so low on these rifles is becaue when the German army captured them they put differant parts and differant serial numbers on them that's the reason they are so cheap.And who could complain on really owning a rifle that has so much history behind it.When I took my rifle to the range the first time I had so many people asking all about it that I almost ran out of time for shooting but that's what I enjoy so much about these rifles is telling others about there history.

the kick on these things isnt bad. i've shot mine hundreds of times, and it doesnt even make my shoulder sore. i have a 1938 91/30 from the izzy armory that i got for $120 at a gun show. the 7.62x54r is the nato round classification for a 30.06, and the round and rifle is accurate if you go non surplus ammo like winchester. if you go with surplus, more then likely the gun powder or grain is different in every round. buy a box, take them all apart, weigh the powder, then repack with the average weight. if you damage the round or the casing when removing DO NOT USE IT! i dont know about non surplus ammo, but ALL surplus ammo is semi corrosive!! if you do not clean it immediately after shooting, it will rust and etch into the metal, mostly around the firing pin area. if you cant clean immediately, spray some Windex or anything with ammonia down the barrel to neutralize the corrosion. contrary to what someone said above, round recievers CAN be scoped, you just have to have a gunsmith do it. I have a scope on my round, and it works great. one other thing, DO NOT refinish your stock!! this makes the collectors value plummet. most collectors want original, so if its been refinished, dont pay over 60 bucks for it. this rifle is accurate, and fun, you just need to do some research before you buy to make sure you're not getting screwed. hope this helps some of you guys

Last edited:
the 7.62x54r is the nato round classification for a 30.06,
Nope! They're both in the same power category but compleatly seperate rounds. The R means it's a rimmed cartridge, 30-06 is rimless. 30-06 is .308, the 7.62X54R is .311 30-06 in metric is 7.62X63(best I recall).

Back