Owning a Mosin Nagant Rifle.... (Anyones advice) - Page 2

--

April 25th, 2005  
Kilgore

Well, right now im still waiting for my licence to come up which should be around shortly. Things got a little delayed because i missed a small part in the paper work, but once that is sort out, i'll process the papers for obtaining the firearm and pick it up as soon as i get the go sign.

I agree about the 7.62x54 round being something not to joke about. I bought 10 rounds and they are huge! I wonder how i'll cope with the Mosin Carbine rifle.
April 25th, 2005  
Desert_Eagle

Just remeber to keep the thing clean and it should stay as accurate as the day you bought it.
April 26th, 2005  
Kilgore

Well it sort of works different with WW2 rifles out here. Normally when you buy them they are some what dirty. The first thing i'll do after buying it, is to disassemble it and clean every part there is.
--
June 13th, 2009  
Scott

Topic: shoulder pain

Hello everyone I am new to this web sight and a priud owner of a 1915 Mosin Nagant rifle, I really enjoy reading about the differant rifles you have. Go on line to Official Soviet Mosin -Nagant Rifle Manual @www.paladin-press.com this manual will tell you everything about your rifles and the year that they were made.
June 13th, 2009  
Scott

If you would go to Davids collectables on line you will find a rubber butt plate that will help with the kick.
June 13th, 2009  
Scott

Go to Davids collectables you will find a rubber butt plate for your rifle that will take the punch out of your shoulder.
June 13th, 2009  
Scott

Topic: special rifles

These rifles are very accurate for up to one mile that is if you can hold it still that long, put a good sand bag infront for the weight of the barrel and you will find your target every time. I don't know who said these rifles are'nt very good for shooting well Guns & Ammo says differantly they highly recomend these rifles not only for the price but how they put meat on the table. The prices are so low on these rifles is becaue when the German army captured them they put differant parts and differant serial numbers on them that's the reason they are so cheap.And who could complain on really owning a rifle that has so much history behind it.When I took my rifle to the range the first time I had so many people asking all about it that I almost ran out of time for shooting but that's what I enjoy so much about these rifles is telling others about there history.
November 24th, 2010  
mosin9130

the kick on these things isnt bad. i've shot mine hundreds of times, and it doesnt even make my shoulder sore. i have a 1938 91/30 from the izzy armory that i got for $120 at a gun show. the 7.62x54r is the nato round classification for a 30.06, and the round and rifle is accurate if you go non surplus ammo like winchester. if you go with surplus, more then likely the gun powder or grain is different in every round. buy a box, take them all apart, weigh the powder, then repack with the average weight. if you damage the round or the casing when removing DO NOT USE IT! i dont know about non surplus ammo, but ALL surplus ammo is semi corrosive!! if you do not clean it immediately after shooting, it will rust and etch into the metal, mostly around the firing pin area. if you cant clean immediately, spray some Windex or anything with ammonia down the barrel to neutralize the corrosion. contrary to what someone said above, round recievers CAN be scoped, you just have to have a gunsmith do it. I have a scope on my round, and it works great. one other thing, DO NOT refinish your stock!! this makes the collectors value plummet. most collectors want original, so if its been refinished, dont pay over 60 bucks for it. this rifle is accurate, and fun, you just need to do some research before you buy to make sure you're not getting screwed. hope this helps some of you guys
November 24th, 2010  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin9130
the 7.62x54r is the nato round classification for a 30.06,
Nope! They're both in the same power category but compleatly seperate rounds. The R means it's a rimmed cartridge, 30-06 is rimless. 30-06 is .308, the 7.62X54R is .311 30-06 in metric is 7.62X63(best I recall).