Over the Top Training? - Page 2

--

December 1st, 2004  
Zyca

Back in the days when Taiwan was under martial law, new recruits in the army feared being sent to the islands close to China, becuase rumor had it that the amphibian Chinese marines, referred to as "water ghosts", would sneak up and kill the nightwatch. However later it was found out that the rumor started because some recruits were tortured to death, and they had to provide reasons for the families, so the Chinese marines were a convenient excuse. What they did to the recruits though I don't quite know.
December 1st, 2004  
Trevor

Well, they do that kind of stuff with training for the CIA/FBI Don't they? Well,...not to that extent.
December 1st, 2004  
03USMC

It sounds like SERE/POW training. And it is important and good training for anyone to have.

And it appears mild sprayed with water shocked. No sleep deprivation, food and water deprivation, endless interogations, solitary confinement, etc etc.

Something just does not add up for me.
--
December 3rd, 2004  
Damien435

I would equate this to what the US Army does with the new recruits, we walk into a gas chamber filled with some sort of tear agent. (Is it tear gas?) The reason we do this is to reassure us that our gas masks will work if used properly. Being shocked is nothing new for me, I have done backflips from getting electricuted and we spent a whole month is physics shocking ourselves with forces so strong that one kid was knocked to the floor and nearly passed out, that was when we deicided we had to many people in the chain.
December 3rd, 2004  
Trevor

Apperently being tazed is worse than being shot. My friends dad who is a piloce officer tazed me (mildly) to show me what it was like. I can honestly say it was one of the worst feelings in the world.
December 3rd, 2004  
EuroSpike

"we walk into a gas chamber filled with some sort of tear agent. (Is it tear gas?) The reason we do this is to reassure us that our gas masks will work if used properly."

We did the same. Not bad and harms nobody if mask used properly. Just walk in and wander for a couple of minutes around the table where some tear gas was put on. The worst thing is to unwear rainsuit and mask clean them. A bit gas is easily left on the gear and then tastes real dark chocolade in throat.

How is the real fear caused in POW exercises? Because it is just an exercise, everyone knows that they can't be killed or really harmed or injured if accidents aren't count.
December 3rd, 2004  
03USMC

Knowing and believing are two different things. It's different than your run of the mill training. The OPFOR speaking a different language or broken language. Threats, controlled abuse. Some people can't handle it.
December 3rd, 2004  
EuroSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Knowing and believing are two different things. It's different than your run of the mill training. The OPFOR speaking a different language or broken language. Threats, controlled abuse. Some people can't handle it.
Yes but if isn't a real situation and real enemy, only threat is to get only asskicked but not killed. No fingers are cut off or not really and seriously injured or raped. But the situation could be much different when being alone in hands of enemies who are acting very violent and a recent danger to get executed is present. And yes, some peopple can't handle it if situation threatening at all.
December 3rd, 2004  
A Can of Man

How generous.
Korean Army:
Walk in with mask. Yes, your mask works. Now we will show you what happens if you don't wear the mask. Please take off your mask. No? Well we'll rip them off for you. Good. Now start doing jumping jacks. Stop. Roll on the floor and get the tear gas agent all over you. Very good. You may now step outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike
"we walk into a gas chamber filled with some sort of tear agent. (Is it tear gas?) The reason we do this is to reassure us that our gas masks will work if used properly."

We did the same. Not bad and harms nobody if mask used properly. Just walk in and wander for a couple of minutes around the table where some tear gas was put on. The worst thing is to unwear rainsuit and mask clean them. A bit gas is easily left on the gear and then tastes real dark chocolade in throat.

How is the real fear caused in POW exercises? Because it is just an exercise, everyone knows that they can't be killed or really harmed or injured if accidents aren't count.
December 4th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroSpike

But see, in the Army they make you take off the mask and take a few deep breaths to really drive the message home.