"Over the Top" by Arthur Guy Empey (WWI)

Duty Honor Country

Over the Top by Arthur Guy Empey

This book was one I found by complete accident. I was browsing through at Goodwill store and found a book on WWI. The thing was beat up, but to pay $2 for an original 1917 book, I could not go wrong. As soon as I started reading it, I knew I had a Jewel.

The book is about the Author's experiences fighting for the British. Empey was in the Jursey National Guard when the Lusitanua was sunk. He though for sure America was going to war. When America did not go to war, Empey went to Europe. After arriving in England and signing up for the Army, he first worked as a recruiter. After recruiting a man with only 7 fingers, he was trained and sent to the front. The rest of the book describes Empey's experience fighting with the British in France. It ends when Empey gets a "Blighty One," a wound that sent him back to England and eventually back to the US. He wrote Over the Top in 1917, which became a best seller with over a million copies sold.

The reading was extremely easy, and I finished the book in 2 days. If you liked All Quiet on the Western Front, then you need to read this book. The detail is amazing. You can find it online (link below). I also have a link to "Tommy's Dictionary to the Trenches," which is at the end of the book. It is a list of terms that was used by the British. You'll be surprised that the opinions of the regular soldier has not changed in over 80 years.

Tommy's Dictionary to the Trenches
READ IT ONLINE

Back