Over There

1337kane

Does anyone know this great series?
It's about some new army-guys who have to compete during operation iraki freedom. It is very realistic, there are no heroes, and no there are no "one-man-army-rambos"
so, if you can get it, watch it!

if it was so great why did it last only one season? Oh... and yes I have seen it. It is NOTHING like the real thing.

This is probably the worst show I've ever seen and it's definately the most unrealistic. Hmm, where should I start... first of all it has every bogus Army stereotype ever. The women are sleeping around, all the wives are cheating on their husbands, and some of them are alcoholics. It's just crazy. They have 2 PFC females supporting some infantry guys (which is just insane) and they drive around a 5 ton by themselves with no machine guns...wtf? They take an absurd amount of fire from a mosque but claim they cannot fire back because it's against the rules....excuse me? There's the stereotypical special forces guys torturing some people for information... I mean come the f on. It's the worst show I've ever seen in my life. If you want a lot more realism, watch Generation Kill. It's Marines so it's still a bit out there, but at least they had some of the actual Marines involved in making it. I was impressed how accurate it portrayed Iraq.

Generation Kill are obviously way better than Over There.

Just glad that they cancelled the show for good.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed "Generation Kill" as it kept pretty much to the book and was based on actual events

Havn't seen "Over There" but from the sounds of it I'm not missing much

Now just waiting for BOB "Pacific", that looks alright.

Really enjoyed "Generation Kill" as it kept pretty much to the book and was based on actual events

Havn't seen "Over There" but from the sounds of it I'm not missing much

Now just waiting for BOB "Pacific", that looks alright.

It's very similar the "The Unit", lots of Hollywood added into it.

Generation Kill is darn good. I have an Uncle that was in the Corps and he swears by it, that and Jarhead, his TIS was 90'-94', he was with Delta then Gulf Battery, 2nd of the 10th Marines, then he did a stint with the 26th MEU on the USS Saipan for fleet duty.

Last edited:
"The Unit" has got to be the biggest pack of crap I've ever seen.
I can't say much for the operators themselves (I'm assuming it's mostly fake) but the way they modelled some of their enemies or allies in the countries/territories I'm familiar with was just outright hilariously/dangerously wrong.
The part that bothers me is that Americans will actually "learn" from this sort of garbage.

Over There would be accurate if you sent a bunch of poets to fight a war.

"The Unit" has got to be the biggest pack of crap I've ever seen.
I can't say much for the operators themselves (I'm assuming it's mostly fake) but the way they modelled some of their enemies or allies in the countries/territories I'm familiar with was just outright hilariously/dangerously wrong.

The Unit didn't last long in the US, only four seasons. So it wasn't all that popular. I've yet to meet anyone that actually liked it, obviously there were some, but I think it got old fast.

The part that bothers me is that Americans will actually "learn" from this sort of garbage.

:lol: Dude, we're not THAT stupid and uneducated.

Dude, we're not THAT stupid and uneducated.
Don't fool yourself. Obviously you don't read some of the posts on this site and others. No, they are not all "over the top" but there is a noticeable degree of surrealism in many of them.

There are many members here who really do know the truth of the matter, but it is the posts of some "bright eyed" young dreamers that show exactly how much Hollywood moulds the imaginations of our youth, and a lot of "couldabeen", "wannabee" weekend warrior adults.

Last edited:
Don't fool yourself. Obviously you don't read some of the posts on this site and others. No, they are not all "over the top" but there is a noticeable degree of surrealism in many of them.

There are many members here who really do know the truth of the matter, but it is the posts of some "bright eyed" young dreamers that show exactly how much Hollywood moulds the imaginations of our youth, and a lot of "couldabeen", "wannabee" weekend warrior adults.

Yeah, but that's different. That's not getting an education about countries, cultures, enemies etc via a TV show. That's doing what most greenhorn kids that have large dreams of shooting bad guys in the face just like they do no Modern Warfare 2 do. And for the wannabe adults, well, they'll accept anything as fact if it will assist them in making that 25 year old blonde feel sorry for them that they're the only one from their team to survive a harrowing firefight. They are paying attention to the action, the titles and wanking it to the thought of someday being able to grow a beard and carrying around super "cool" weaponry.

What they take from shows/movies like that and what (I believe, maybe I misunderstood) 13th Redneck was talking about are two completely different things.

:lol: Dude, we're not THAT stupid and uneducated.

I think folks like yourself who have been there, seen this and done that would know much better but again let me tell you about my Chinese-Indonesian friend who's student visa was not renewed because of his country of citizenship.
The people that America is worried about also wish to target Chinese-Indonesians, though currently their focus is more on the Western foreigners.
His request to renew his student visa was denied largely because of his country of citizenship. He had to complete his studies in Australia instead.
Being a recent immigrant to Indonesia, he even has a Chinese last name (long story about why Chinese-Indonesians who have been there before the 1960's and 1970's don't have Chinese last names anymore) and he got rejected. This is about as stupid as rejecting a visa renewal request made by a Jew of German citizenship in 1941 out of fears that he might be a Nazi. It's THAT retarded. Yes, like rejecting a Mr. Isaac Goldberg from Berlin for being a German citizen.
When I pass through an American airport, I am asked repeatedly if I am a North Korean or if I am Indonesian. That is ridiculous. How would you like it if every time you went to a different country they pulled you aside for additional questioning and asked if you were Mexican, obviously worried that you'd be a member of some drug/human trafficking gang?
I do not believe all folks get their "education" about the world via TV but believe me, many more do than we are comfortable with. Mix guns, violence, politics with an unrealistic and inaccurate representation of friends, enemies, countries etc., and that is a bad combination.

Back