outbreak of WWI

lljadw

Next friday(1 august) will be the hundredth (or the ninety-ninetieth ?) anniversary of the outbreak of WWI.

What is the opinion about the responsability for the outbreak ?

Many eminent scholars and historians have debated this topic and continue to debate it. Germany had the total blame for WWI placed on them, but it was not that simple. Several European countries were spoiling for a fight, were armed to the teeth and planned on a short, sharp campaign that would leave them on top. Not only did it not work out that way, the real shock was that once the war started nobody knew how to stop it. Certainly there was nothing at stake in that war that was worth the cost, but nobody could come up with a formula to restore peace. No wonder a whole generation of men who survived the war simply gave up on civilization. The so-called "lost generation". These were men who survived the war in body, but not in mind or spirit, many of them later embraced Communism or Fascism.

I believe the "Lost Generation" refers to the Generation that so many of whom ended up dead ("lost") in the war.

Revisionism is ruling again;it has become PC to deny German responsability,and the suspected ones (Clark,McMeekin) are dominating .

The truth is ,not that Germany had a big part of the responsability for the outbreak of WWI (as is saying Fischer),but that Germany was the only responsible :Germany started intentionally WWI.

Revisionism is ruling again;it has become PC to deny German responsability,and the suspected ones (Clark,McMeekin) are dominating .

The truth is ,not that Germany had a big part of the responsability for the outbreak of WWI (as is saying Fischer),but that Germany was the only responsible :Germany started intentionally WWI.

Sounds to me like you aren't much interested in opinion...

Loaded question much?

I asked a question about the responsability for the outbreak of WWI.There was one answer (by Remington 1858),on which I disagree,and I gave my opinion .

I asked a question about the responsability for the outbreak of WWI.There was one answer (by Remington 1858),on which I disagree,and I gave my opinion .
My understanding is...Serbia agreed to all but one Austrian demand and Austria-Hungary declared War anyhow. Then all of the Treaties of support came into play.

Well, perhaps you see what I meant. It wasn't so simple that the blame for WWI can all be placed on Germany's doorstep. In those days mobilization meant declaration of war. The machinery of mobilization was so ponderous that when a nation began the process the neighboring countries felt obliged to trigger their process as well or be caught wrong footed. Emperor Franz Josef was determined to smash Serbia. He wanted Germany's support before he did so. The German's never thought it would go beyond a small scale punitive expedition, and gave a go-ahead. Germany completely underestimated the repercussions of an attack on Serbia. However, the responsibility for WWII, in Europe anyway, belongs to Germany alone and to one man in particular, Adolph Hitler.

A interesting tidbit of history. Stalin was hesitate to mobilize in the face of the German buildup in the early summer of 41, since it was the Czar's mobilization that caused the Germans to mobilize on the eastern front with in WW1.

Well, perhaps you see what I meant. It wasn't so simple that the blame for WWI can all be placed on Germany's doorstep. In those days mobilization meant declaration of war. The machinery of mobilization was so ponderous that when a nation began the process the neighboring countries felt obliged to trigger their process as well or be caught wrong footed. Emperor Franz Josef was determined to smash Serbia. He wanted Germany's support before he did so. The German's never thought it would go beyond a small scale punitive expedition, and gave a go-ahead. Germany completely underestimated the repercussions of an attack on Serbia. However, the responsibility for WWII, in Europe anyway, belongs to Germany alone and to one man in particular, Adolph Hitler.

This is a traditional but flawed POV.

Mobilisation did not meant war .

There had been several mobilisations before WWI,without resulting in war .

1914:
AH mobilised against Serbia,and Russia did nothing : no rupture of diplomatic relations, no ultimatum,no DOW.

Russia mobilised against AH : no reaction of AH,neither from Germany .

France mobilised 45 AC on the border with Germany, no German reaction.

Russia mobilised 9 AC on the border with Germany : immediately a German ultimatum,followed by a DOW.

And,when Germany mobilised , no one declared war on Germany .

George is on tract. It all started with Austria -Hungry declaring war on Serbia which caused Russia to declare war on Austria - Hungry and a whole set of dominos fell into place setting Germany and Austria-Hungry against Russia, Britain and France. They all held up to the original alliances except Italy who opted out for a bit then changed sides. Later other players such as Turkey and Romania joined the fray.

Actually you are right

Russia did NOT declare war on A-H.

However Russia attacked A-H and Germany, after Germany attacked Belgium - France. The whole thing was related to treaties and alliances that ended up dragging the powers mentioned earlier into the fray.

Last edited:
Russia attacked Germany AFTER the German DOW on Russia : there are no indications that without the German DOW, Russia would have attacked Germany .

About AH : it was AH that on 6 august declared war on Russia,and,as far I can remember,there was no fighting between Russia and AH in the period 1/6 august ..

Russia attacked Germany AFTER the German DOW on Russia : there are no indications that without the German DOW, Russia would have attacked Germany .

About AH : it was AH that on 6 august declared war on Russia,and,as far I can remember,there was no fighting between Russia and AH in the period 1/6 august ..

DOW means what? Who knows. It's rather ridiculous, how the whole thing started. I basically think Germany was armed to the teeth and just waiting for a chance to use it's muscles. A-H would have been better off if the war never occurred. Later as you mentioned Russia gave them a severe defeat until Germany sent in reinforcements. I think they even had trouble with Serbia without German Aid, the same on the Italian front. Actually the Italians fought bravely in WW1, although they suffered from poor leadership. In the A-H army orders had to be issued in 16 different languages.

Last edited:
Back