Our MRE CookBook

Chyllaxen

Well, Since im a soon to be Soldier I would like to start getting MRE (Meals ready to eat) Recipies. I figure with enough people here we can make our own CookBook.

So please Add your recipies here.

Please Include:
1.Ingedients
2.Directions
3.Any other important Info

~Chyllaxen

MRE's, cook book!!!! Hehehehhehohoho.
Your assuming that its foood!!!! Poor SOB.
Supplement with lots of jack rations matey.
Good luck by the way with your enlistment.

Dont worry, you can survive off the cheese and crackers. Skittles, ranger bars, and some of the pound cakes can net you good **** off your buds.

sounds very similar to the NZ rat packs

cabin bread crackers will bung you right up, and the chocolate will (hopefully) unbung you lol

Wanna not Crap? Eat the cheese or peanut butter.

Wanna Crap? Drink the coffee or the coco?

There ya go field movements 101:peace:

This makes perfect sense. The time I didn't have the coffee I had serious constipation problems and man I thought I was going to explode out the wrong way. When I had coffee (with the creamer I believe) it wasn't so bad and my **** was a bit more cooperative.

South Korean rations come in two main types... one is one that you need to boil in the bag it's in... it's not bad but it's unwieldy to use in the field as it is very bad to eat when cold. At least MREs you can eat cold and it won't be too big of an issue. The other type are these chocolates, caramels, some compressed seed cubes and some things that taste real good but I have no idea what the heck they are (neither does anyone else for that matter). They're both pretty bad but the good news is that they don't cause constipation.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was the type of cookin i grew up with (sorry Mom!) or what but the MREs we are issued today aren't that bad... at least some of them. i try to stay away from the jumbalia and stick with the chickenn and beef. As far as a recipe is concerned i do this:

Hold on to any "shakes" as they are gold

Cocoa: only use half as much water and you have yourself what seems to be a concentrated all be it cold frapaccino.

BBQ- eat this without the top bun or it doesn't taste as well.

Pound Cake- I don't like these but amazingly every one else does so I keep these for bartering.

Good luck with your Enlistment!

the most amazing MRE i ever encountered were the Aussie MREs, damn things have breakfast lunch dinner and desert. oh and they have that Vegimate (sp?). dont know how Aussies can stomach that stuff. to each there own i guess.

the most amazing MRE i ever encountered were the Aussie MREs, damn things have breakfast lunch dinner and desert. oh and they have that Vegimate (sp?). dont know how Aussies can stomach that stuff. to each there own i guess.

NZ has very similar one....far far superior to the US MRE's IMO

ratpack1l.jpg

New Zealand 24 hour Army
Combat Ration Packs, each pack contains the following:
Breakfast
1 x 100 grm muesli cereal with milk powder.

Snacks
2 x choc bars
2 x muesli bars
2 x pkt sultanas

Lunch
1x instant noodles
1 x pkt cream crackers
1 x cheese spread
1 x fruit salad

Dinner One of the following 300 grm meal - packs
mushroom risotto- vegetarian
chicken & pasta with vegetables
chicken teriyaki
beef & vegetables
lamb and mint gravy
beef satay

all with 1 x 85 grm instant noodles

Condiments
1 x salt sachet
2 x sugar sachet
2 x coffee sachets
2 x tea bags
1 x sports drink
1 x sweetened condensed milk

Total weight 1200 grams
Energy content per pack + 13,700 kj
Shelf life 2 years
All meals can be eaten hot or cold, no chemical heater involved-just boil in a bag,

Last edited:
NZ has very similar one....far far superior to the US MRE's IMO

One thing about the US MREs is that they are Bland as all get out. Anything with taste even if it is a bad taste can be "better" than the US MRE. So it wouldn't take much. LOL

Well if they don't taste like anything then I suppose the Army does not have to worry about people not liking the grub.

Found those NZ meals for sale online for about $40 a pop. Tempting actually. I haven't even tried the US MRE's in a good (emphasis on good) 15 years.

I remember my father telling me about C-Rats in Vietnam. He always had a good idea of how to live off the land and a steady source of Tabasco and A-1 Sauce from the States. He'd collect several B-units from the rest of his squad, throw in everything from bamboo shoots to the local variety of cabbage and add a bit of the local fauna if it was catchable (chicken, pork, reptiles, rodents, etc.) Once the rest of his squad got over their fear of the added local bits, he became a pretty popular guy.

Instant noodles... you would need to light a fire to cook it wouldn't you? It's one of the really good things I found about the MRE, you can eat the whole thing without ever touching the match or lighter.
Also I could get one packet for $4. Sure as hell beats the $40 price tag.
Personally, I don't think combat rations need to be that elaborate but I wouldn't complain if the South Korean service had something like that.

Korean-Ration-2.jpg

This one requires hot water to cook. The result is very good. The contents are the main course, an egg soup and a packet of M&Ms style chocolates. During my time in the military, I came across this one twice I think.

Korean-Ration-new.jpg

This is the new one. Never got to get my hands on one so I have no idea what it's like but the contents in the picture are as follows: Meatloaf, Kimchee, Pound cake, Meat loaf, Wiener sausages, Chocolate balls, Heat pack, spoon and also a paper food tray. For the first time, South Korean troops have a combat ration that can be eaten warm without having fire lit.

None of these two I found on the web were the ones I had most in the RoK Marines.

japanese-ration.jpg

This one's from the Japanese Self Defense Force.

Last edited:
Back