Otokar's KOBRA multi-purpose IFV (with Spike ATGM)

--

December 7th, 2008  
Lunatik

Topic: Otokar's KOBRA multi-purpose IFV (with Spike ATGM)

There are many different versions of Kobra that are suitable for various kinds of missions. These vehicles were also used very effectively by Georgia while defending against the recent Russian aggression. It's exported to 10 countries. This thing's probably the most mod-able IFV ever produced anywhere on the planet. Armored. Highly maneuverable. Powerful 4 x 4. Cheaper than many less-capable competitors. Install whatever weapon platform or sensors you desire and it'll perform perfectly. Hell, there's even an amphibious variant!

ATGM Version with Spike

Aphibious Version

With 20mm Auto

With Radar

Full Recon Version

On Patrol With Various Manned Turrets

This vehicle is definitely the poor man's tank, I'm telling you.
December 7th, 2008  
Lunatik

Uh oh, picture limit. For more images (of various other variants too) see: http://images.google.com/images?um=1...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
December 7th, 2008  
A Can of Man

wouldn't call it a tank by any stretch of the imagination but a fine vehicle it seems.
--
December 7th, 2008  
Lunatik

LOL, yeah, surely they're not exactly tank hunters, but I don't know; considering its speed and maneuverability, I think it could inflict serious damage to a tank provided that it's got a good crew who knows the terrain, some smoke launchers and a couple of Spike ATGMs. But yeah, they're fine IFVs in general, can be modded to suit any mission and situation.
December 8th, 2008  
johnnyQAMR

Topic: APC not IFV

Nice vehicle, but it's a APC as a Infantry Fighting Vehicle can fight other IFV's (warrior, bradley, LAV III etc). The cobra APC can only mount MG's in its troop carrying role as it has Humvee automotive components and would be over weight with any thing bigger. The cobras with ATGW's use this weapons for defence, not for tank hunting.
December 8th, 2008  
Lunatik

The point was to produce a modular 4x4 base vehicle that can be used for every mission type the army requires. Cobra does this perfectly. Also, its V-shaped hull and special suspension system has proven surprisingly effective against certain mines and IEDs.

A cobra explosives test video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZz7jssPBQU

Saves lives.
December 8th, 2008  
johnnyQAMR

Topic: Cast hull

The cobra is not modular as it has a steel cast hull. This means each type needs its own hull for the task reqiured, not a swap of a modular component. Also a 4.8 ton 4x4 can not be used for all the tasks that any army may need to complete. There is a good reason why only the country that made them (Turkey) and Nigeria use them in numbers in their armys. Other users have cobras in the police and in Georgia's case, 100 with the interior ministry (but 2 lost to russia and unknown number captured by South Ossetia).
December 8th, 2008  
SHERMAN

Quote:
The cobras with ATGW's use this weapons for defence, not for tank hunting.
I dont understand this statment.
December 8th, 2008  
Lunatik

He must be referring to a guided anti-tank missile that defends the launching platform by destroying the enemy tank. But that is by no means tank hunting.

Watch Spike defend against a tank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdDOHgcLGRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyQAMR
The cobra is not modular as it has a steel cast hull. This means each type needs its own hull for the task reqiured, not a swap of a modular component. Also a 4.8 ton 4x4 can not be used for all the tasks that any army may need to complete. There is a good reason why only the country that made them (Turkey) and Nigeria use them in numbers in their armys. Other users have cobras in the police and in Georgia's case, 100 with the interior ministry (but 2 lost to russia and unknown number captured by South Ossetia).
The only hull that is somewhat different from the rest is the amphibic version, the rest feature the same identical hull. Only turrets, sensors and mission loads are different. That is what I meant by modular design. For instance, when the situation requires, the MG turret can be taken off and replaced with a Spike turret. Or the Intel mod can be replaced with a C4I mod, etc, etc. Also, almost all the cobras are being used by MILITARY units in their respective countries.

Same hull different mods...

A cobra in use by the Slovenian Army:

Now, are you telling me that the above vehicle belongs to Slovenia's police force? Ah, lol, come ooon!
December 8th, 2008  
SHERMAN

spike ER or LR are hardly defensive systems.