Other Side of the Coin

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
I spend a lot of time pointing out various irritating and slightly disturbing short-comings in my host country and thought it only fair to point out some of the good things about this place because its not ALL bad. :)

To begin with laws and regulations be damned, ANYTHING is possible if you have the connections or cash to make it happen. Case in point my mother in law over stayed her visa and by law this carries a 500RMB a day fine with no maximum and deportation. I take a day off of work and venture down to my local police station and talk to the boys in blue. I have been friends with them since day one, I am NOT as stupid as I look ;). After some tea, conversation about my son and a few cigarettes the honcho tells me its no problem. He makes a phone call to a university friend of his and writes down the address of where I am to go to sort this out. I show up and they ask for the assorted documents, photos and the MIL's passport. A smile and "come back in a week". I show up one week later and it cost me 160 RMB total ($20 USD) for a new two month visa for her and NO fine.

Two years ago I and a friend from Alabama who was here for a visit witnessed some girls who appeared to be being taken away in a van against their will. We had been drinking and were both pretty decent sized boys and we set to playing the hero. Four Chinese in the hospital, two with fractured skulls, very nasty business and two Americans in custody. I had the PSB (Public Security Bureau) Chief's card and called him. I was tutoring his daughter in English on the weekend and he came at a run. We were released and heard nothing more of the matter. The Chief was pretty impressed and ended up having us teach him a bit of good ole boy street fighting cuz it turned out two of the Chinese in the hospital were his policemen. In this country its who you know.

The business evironment is no different... more to follow.

bulldogg said:
To begin with laws and regulations be damned, ANYTHING is possible if you have the connections or cash to make it happen. Case in point my mother in law over stayed her visa and by law this carries a 500RMB a day fine with no maximum and deportation. I take a day off of work and venture down to my local police station and talk to the boys in blue. I have been friends with them since day one, I am NOT as stupid as I look ;). After some tea, conversation about my son and a few cigarettes the honcho tells me its no problem. He makes a phone call to a university friend of his and writes down the address of where I am to go to sort this out. I show up and they ask for the assorted documents, photos and the MIL's passport. A smile and "come back in a week". I show up one week later and it cost me 160 RMB total ($20 USD) for a new two month visa for her and NO fine.
That is pretty cool; a bit corrupted but nonetheless cool.

bulldogg said:
Two years ago I and a friend from Alabama who was here for a visit witnessed some girls who appeared to be being taken away in a van against their will. We had been drinking and were both pretty decent sized boys and we set to playing the hero. Four Chinese in the hospital, two with fractured skulls, very nasty business and two Americans in custody. I had the PSB (Public Security Bureau) Chief's card and called him. I was tutoring his daughter in English on the weekend and he came at a run. We were released and heard nothing more of the matter. The Chief was pretty impressed and ended up having us teach him a bit of good ole boy street fighting cuz it turned out two of the Chinese in the hospital were his policemen. In this country its who you know.

The business evironment is no different... more to follow.
Wait wait, the police chief was glad his two boys were beat down?!! Kind of odd, but kind of hahaha in the same way.

Despite my adamant hatred for oppressive totalitarian regimes, my brief stay in China for my school's exchange program was really cool too; not to mention the multiple visits I make there with my family almost every summer ever since 1996. I'd agree with you 200% that money (especially USD) goes a long way there. You can buy almost anything (and I do mean anything) there if you have the right price. My most memorable memories of China would have to be my stay there as an exchange student. No one would believe the amount of mischief a group of 7 American college students could get into. Just about every single time, all we got off with was a brief cultural and language exchange of American-taught Chinese with native Chinese to fluent English with broken English with the local cops and a hearty handshake. Now those guys know how to play ball :cheers:.

He wasn't happy but wanted to know how it went down as they all "practice" gong fu... honestly it was a simple matter of our mass being double theirs.

As for corrupt, hell yes but when in Rome you do as the Romans. NO business in China is successful without playing the game, its just the way it is. Some of them use proxies to do the dirty work so they have a little distance but its a specious distinction when it comes down to it.

Back home I am a law abiding citizen. Were I to behave that way here I and my clients would be dismal failures.

bulldogg said:
Back home I am a law abiding citizen. Were I to behave that way here I and my clients would be dismal failures.

Hmm, I think I have to alter my views on you Bulldogg..... I never took you for a miscreant! :)

OK, at the risk of going off-on-topic. What was the deal with two police officers kidnapping young girls, or did I misunderstand?

The "girls" were part of the crew of prostitutes employed by a nearby bar. The policemen were at their off-duty job, a very common practice as they are paid less than any other public servant. The system not only encourages but expects corruption on the part of police officers in order for them to just pay their bills let alone get ahead in this jungle. The police here oftentimes are hired off duty to enforce the rules of certain people. As it was explained to us by the Chief the men were "taking them home after work and the girls were a little drunk and uncooperative".

Take it for what its worth, it's China. :roll:

As for business I love this place because I am living in history. This place functions exactly like the business environment of the US during the time of Teddy Roosevelt before the muckrakers and the reforms they helped to foment.

The fines for polluting a river are so low as to be less than 1/500th the cost of appending the factory to prevent it in the future. Air pollution? HA! That is the biggest *cough cough* joke throughout China but once again I am living in history. The air quality here is no worse than the industrial cities of Japan post WWII or Pittsburgh, PA during the late 40's when you could look at the sun at noon on a "clear" day in July for hours without hurting your eyes owing to the massive quantities of particulate pollution in the air. It is history but instead of reading it I get to see it first hand, that's just oh so exciting.

The other really cool thing here is that I am doing business with the whole world on neutral ground. I have worked or working for now people and companies from Dubai, Qatar, Oman, Iran, Syria, India, Nigeria, Italy, Australia, Russia, Ukraine and England. My mind has been expanded from the contact with these people and businesses and when I finish my time here I will have amassed a set of skills and knowledge of business in these places that will fit nicely onto my CV. Let alone getting to know about belief's and culture in a non-threatening environment, people open up more and are more forthcoming in their answers in this situation.

More to follow...

Last edited:
A quote is AN EXACT DUPLICATION of the words stated by the original author.

You got something to say don't beat around the bush, come out and say it.

If its easier for you to talk face to face my previous offer still stands. You can bring your friends if you're scared. :)

I am crushed... heart-broken... suicidal even at your rebuff of my well-intentioned advances. Muah! ;) I shall now pine away the hours till the end of my days in remorseful contemplation of my unrequited love.
:)

I can not imagine only a dude from Alabama who teaches English in China can give out so radiculouse funny f***ing words.

Sexulal intercause just in your own mind mere to satisfy your own vanity and your tensity.

As we all know that all the elites are always busy all the time , but a man who always indulging himself in the forum and always doing the country bashing words can mere a man without happiness in the world of reality, or he want to shirk from the real world. But try to dodge himself behind the screen of the computer.

TO moderator:
If there is still someone always doing the country bashing words ,I think it wil be better for you to do someting.

To bull dog:
I suggest that you should change your country under your avator from china into usa . Everyone know that you are from usa, why do you always do this ? Do you want to show the virture of the usa spirit?

*Rule 4. Flaming, Name Calling, Country Bashing, Spamming, Hate or Racism related posts are not accepted!

Last edited:
If you look closely at the "Country" portion of your profile you will see it says "Country you are in" not "Country you are from".

Thanks for your well-intentioned psychological analysis of me. Sorry though, I am quite happy and quite busy but have learned to manage my time to allow for fun. My invitation to you to meet in person also is a standing offer.

If you look closely this is not a thread criticising China in any way, shape or form. I am posting about the things I LIKE in China, the good things.

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Last edited:
yingying said:
I can not imagine only a dude from Alabama who teaches English in China can give out so radiculouse funny f***ing words.

Sexulal intercause just in your own mind mere to satisfy your own vanity and your tensity.

As we all know that all the elites are always busy all the time , but a man who always indulging himself in the forum and always doing the country bashing words can mere a man without happiness in the world of reality, or he want to shirk from the real world. But try to dodge himself behind the screen of the computer.

TO moderator:
If there is still someone always doing the country bashing words ,I think it wil be better for you to do someting.

To bull dog:
I suggest that you should change your country under your avator from china into usa . Everyone know that you are from usa, why do you always do this ? Do you want to show the virture of the usa spirit?

*Rule 4. Flaming, Name Calling, Country Bashing, Spamming, Hate or Racism related posts are not accepted!

Uhh I don't see any flaming... I just see a Chinese resident telling his anecdotes and memories of good experiences in China, and two Chinese propagandists too scared to meet him in person for a friendly chat since they're in the same neighborhood anyway...

A suggestion to yingying and achinese. I know that some articles, anecdotes or stories can be upsetting. I know so because I've heard them too, but then regarding Europe. If you want to become a Roman do like Romans do! Don't get angry at the poster, but cut the article to pieces with facts/ links/ pictures...... you get my point?

What I like to do, is to get the post and apply it to the country where the poster comes from. It works better then to agitate against the poster. You'll never win that way. It is just some advice I experienced over a 1000+ posts. Don't get mad, just get even!

It was a joke, humour, lighten up just a little... see the smiley face?

Back on topic...

The final thing I truly enjoy and the only real reason I am still working and living here is the extremely low cost of living. To put this into perspective let me explain my own circumstances. I live in a three bedroom, two full bathroom western style apartment with hard wood floors throughout, nice crown moulding, built-in cabinets and shelving. Two balconies fore and aft and the total area is 160 square meters. I have air conditioning and a kitchen with gas heated hot water in all my taps and a gas stove with oven. My rent each month is only $125 USD. My utilities including high speed broadband internet, gas, water and electrical come to less than $250 for three adults living there. I have a full time maid which costs me only $75 a month and a driver with a new Toyota Camry on call for $150 a month. I eat like a king and do not want for anything. Aussie beef, French wines, Italian cheeses... you name I buy it. I love to eat. And I spend less than $300 a month on food for three people.

In the end each month I am able to put away in savings at the bank a full one third of my monthly salary. I could not do this on my salary back in the US, even if I cut out all the opulence.

ted, I don't know where romen is, i don't want to get involve into all this, i don't know why they are being so provocative

Last edited:
Rome, the capital of Italy and the former Roman empire. It is a proverb we use: if you want to become one of them, do like them.

I know some articles can be provocative, but the art is to debate your way out. If you learn to equalize the score, you'll win the argument. All the poster take articles they see and interest them. Since Bulldogg lives in China, it is bound to involve Chinese. My advice is not to take this personal. Every country has freaks, they are in Holland, America and also China. That arm-eating story.... so what, try not to be provoked, why should you? They have cannibals all around the world. I even posted about two Germans that decided to eat the genitals of one of the two.... The world is a funny place, try to see it like that. And if you are truly upset pm one of the moderators and let them sort it out. There are rules on this forum and everybody has got to stick to them!

(edit: is this better Bulldoff ?? :))

Last edited:
Ted wrote:
I know some articles can be provocative,
That arm-eating story.... so what, try not to be provoked, why should you? They have cannibals all around the world. I even posted about two Germans that decided to eat the genitals of one of the two.... The world is a funny place, try to see it like that.
Glad that there is some one just like you and holding this viewpoint.
It seems that we are not living in a thoroughly evil earth.

In fact I do know that the people like you are the majority and the onn always critisicing China be the minority.
I know that you are holding a neutural viewpoint.

Judging from the replies of the threads started by bulldogg ,I can know that there is only a few who want to really support him.
-----------------------------------
A suggestion to yingying and achinese. I know that some articles, anecdotes or stories can be upsetting.
But when you were reading that upsetting words ,you tended to be silent ;and now when you are reading the words of mine and the words of achinese you tend to be very serious. Do you think it is true?

Last edited:
Back