Osprey Headed Into Combat - Page 2

--

March 2nd, 2006  
Whispering Death

I wish the best for her but all I'm saying is I'm not getting in one.
March 2nd, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
I wish the best for her but all I'm saying is I'm not getting in one.
I say that every time I get on one. That and, "hey, can we jump yet?!?"
March 2nd, 2006  
zander_0633

haha! But wad if become a main transport aircraft?
--
March 3rd, 2006  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
I say that every time I get on one. That and, "hey, can we jump yet?!?"
Airforce has Osperys?

I thought they only made leathernecks get in em'.
March 3rd, 2006  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Airforce has Osperys?

I thought they only made leathernecks get in em'.
The MV-22 is the Marine variant and the CV-22 is AFSOC's variant.

The Air Force has worked hand in hand with the Marine Corps on this project.
March 3rd, 2006  
zander_0633

WEll, IT is a hugh target and may prove to be too costly in a war if they use it!
March 3rd, 2006  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
The MV-22 is the Marine variant and the CV-22 is AFSOC's variant.

The Air Force has worked hand in hand with the Marine Corps on this project.
I didn't know that, how long has the air force used them and how many do they have, and what's the difference between the two models?
March 3rd, 2006  
PJ24

All of the AF drivers and crew have been trained on the MV variants.

The CV is tailored (kinda) to the SOF mission, where as the MV is more of a conventional troop transport. So we have all of the bells, whistles and gadgets. Advanced avionics, more fuel (about 4k lbs extra) and on and on. There are only a few out there right now, but a total of 50 is expected in all.

It is a very limited A/C at this time, and won't be able to fulfill all of the mission requirements the 47s and 53s do, despite their age. And that rotor wash is a killer.
March 3rd, 2006  
Whispering Death

You know, I get on paper how it's better than the Blackhawk and the Sea Knight with the speed/range/payload thing. But it seems to be a rather dangerous aircraft with a lot of questions. Like can it get into the same landing zones than a blackhawk can? Is it going to have to be flown by the book with kid gloves so it doesn't fall out of the sky like 4 others have?

I would be concerned stepping onto one just for a day flight down to Houston. When you're taking going into a combat zone there ain't no way!

I think it could be an excellent aircraft due to its range/speed/payload but the one thing I hope they remembered to put on that snappy list of features is to make sure it flies.
March 3rd, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
You know, I get on paper how it's better than the Blackhawk and the Sea Knight with the speed/range/payload thing. But it seems to be a rather dangerous aircraft with a lot of questions. Like can it get into the same landing zones than a blackhawk can? Is it going to have to be flown by the book with kid gloves so it doesn't fall out of the sky like 4 others have?

I would be concerned stepping onto one just for a day flight down to Houston. When you're taking going into a combat zone there ain't no way!

I think it could be an excellent aircraft due to its range/speed/payload but the one thing I hope they remembered to put on that snappy list of features is to make sure it flies.
I could go on and on about this half-breed and its problems, but the main problem is that it was pushed through, accountability on this thing is near zero. I can accept that lives are often lost in testing of new equpitment, but what I can't handle is when problems are covered up and ignored to push a project through.