Orwell

antiquary

From the database:

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- Attributed to George Orwell
(I have found no evidence that he really did say this)

Neither have I, and I think some of the wording - 'rough men' especially - is rather unOrwellian. All the same the sentiment was certainly one he would agree with. This line from his essay 'Notes on Nationalism' (1945), expressing his opinion that pacifism is hypocritical, is as close as I can get to finding the quoted passage in Orwell's works:

Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm a huge fan of Orwell, though I'm afraid he couldn't care less right now. Anyways, thank you for your insights.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a great fan as well; he's a good example of the principle that you can write clear prose only by thinking clearly. I think his reluctance to settle for easy answers is what marks him out from most of the other political and social commentators of his time. He seems to be quoted more and more as the years go by, his anti-authoritarian message seeming just as relevant to many people now as it did in the 1940s.

Yes, I agree. Only thing, I beware of new fashions or trends: Most of those who quote George Orwell today haven't read deeply into his works and books or haven't looked at his life as carefully as they should have done. Just my 2 cents here.

Italian Guy said:
Yes, I agree. Only thing, I beware of new fashions or trends: Most of those who quote George Orwell today haven't read deeply into his works and books or haven't looked at his life as carefully as they should have done. Just my 2 cents here.

I think this doesn't just apply for Orwell IG. Somehow I get the idea that "looking at the deeper aspects" is something not done anymore. And in my opninion that is a frightening thought! (And quite a different topic, sorry for the high jack)

Back