Origins of Myth: M-16 VS AK

There are many types of M 16s, each with a different mission to be accomplished.

And I dont know about you, but there are dozens of different types of "AKs"

The myth most likely started out when some Army planners got the First M 16 A1 off the line , and test fired the first horrible test version and fired it in front of the top brass.

I dont know about you, but, the M 16 Has changed big time since then, so has the family of Kalashinova weaponry.

The "AK" is a family of weapons, witch the M 16, is a more specific weapon, in witch many weapons have been spawned off of, such as the CAR 15, M 4, and the A3 , A4, as well as the most common 3 round burst A2 model.

Its hard to compare a whole weapon range, such as the "Ak" family, is hard to compare to a very smaller weapon range, such as the M 16 and M 16 varients.

I dont know, but by today's standards, thats a hard to read myth. But then it was most likely applied to the release of the 3 generation of the Ak 47 , the most common "Ak" of all. And I bet Vietnam had something to do with it, and the horrid orginal M 16 A1s service record.

Both groups are fearsom weapons, and it really comes down to how well you are comfortable to kill, and how well you clean your rifle. Both are weapons, with the capacity to kill. So theres one similarity.

You mean M16, the M16A1 was the revamped version.

I can name a vwide varity of M16 ariants.

AR-15
CAR-15
M16
M16E1
M16A1
M16E2
M16A2
M16A3
M16A4
M4
M4A1
XM177
XM733E1
SR-25

and the list goes on.........5.56x45mm can probably belt them all out.

Last edited:
The Assault rifle itself was a compromise between a full battle rifle and a submachine gun.
The M-16 family of weapons stuck with the more traditional rifle model.
The AK-47 types went more with the submachine gun type of model. I don't know why their effective range is considered to be 400m because the accuracy on that thing is supposed to be pretty horrible compared to the M-16.
With iron sights 250m is a more realistic range to take any aimed shots within a period of under 5 seconds (from a standing postion to a prone postion) so if the AK can give me an almost identical accuracy at 250m, then I'd say the AK-47 is a better weapon.

Just being a fussbudget here, but would some of our contributors please stop referring to the Kalashnikov series of weapons as Kalashnikova.

Kalashnikova is female, Mikhail Kalashnikov certainly isn't.

They are both great weapons in their correct place.

I like the M16 series of weapons but feel that the AK has the advantage when it comes to survivability in a dirty environment, or with untrained personnel

Last edited:
Ah but Senojekips in Russian the man is Mr. Kalshnikov but the weapon is referred to in the female as the Kalishnikova. Its my second language. :) Kinda like how some people refer to their cars in the female pronoun or even names.

Yes Bulldog I thought of that,.... but wouldn't wish a female gendered weapon on my worst enemy, although some of them do cause as much trouble. I just don't feel that the AKs qualify in this regard :lol:

Last edited:
5,45mm or 5,56mm?
Maintenancevility or Accuracy?
That is not ploblem.
AK series is widely used all over the world.
M-16 series is minority.

5,45mmor 5,56mm?
Maintenancevility or Accuracy?
That is not ploblem.
AK series is widely used all over the world.
M-16 series is minority.

Point?? So what if the AK-47 is widely manufactured?? That doesn't make it better. You not making sense. The only reason for it being so widely used is it's cheap cost and easy to make.

KALISHINOVA 47
VS.
M 16

Order on Paperview today!! For only $49.95, call or order now to recive this limited offer!

Keeps going and going and going.....

Sukio, Is that Mrs. Kalashnikov VS. Mrs. M16 or Mr. M16, or what?:p

Personally I give my vote to Mr. Kalashnikov.

I was issued a VN era M-16A1 when I was first in Basic, then I had later versions of the M-16A1 throughout my checkered career. Also when I was in 9th MI/109th CEWI I did stints in OPFOR and had familiarization courses and shoot ins with assorted Warsaw Pact small arms up to and including the DsHK.

I never had a jam with any weapon (except stoppages with the DsHK, and also the M2HB) and I really did not like like the M-16s at all. They felt toy-like and 'not real' to me. Although I still would not like to be on the receiving end of it.

I didn't like the AK/RPDs to much either. It was 'chunky' and did not 'feel' right to me.

I did fire expert in the G-3 when in Germany and I loved that weapon vastly over each of the others. But when push came to shove, I would take an M-16 and pounds and pounds of extra bullets any day.

The worst weapon I ever toted though HAD to be an M-60 MG when I was assigned to the Lt's jeep as driver. That hawg hurt my back and shoulder so much. It was a blast (pardon the pun) to shoot though.

The M-16 is only effective in the hands of a professional, the AK is for the amateurs.

There you have it, a dumbed down explanation of their differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukio

The myth most likely started out when some Army planners got the First M 16 A1 off the line , and test fired the first horrible test version and fired it in front of the top brass.

If you took the time to read you could actually stop making assumptions and be informed... but that would be less fun I guess than making completely ignorant suppositions which could not be more wrong.
:shoothea:

wow........:bang:

so how many of you have personally tested these weapons in a combat situation? My respects to those who have, but to those who haven't , id like to invite you to spend a night at my place. you just might get the chance here in down town Houston...

P.S. Id take an AK over M-anything... it dont matter what its problems are, if aimd at you it can kill you... I.E. total objective.

Last edited by a moderator:
An AK aimed from a distance of more than 50 meters has serious issues with putting rounds on target junior. Try backing yourself up, leave the gang banging at the door and read the articles... hell you might learn something.
:)

FYI with an M-21 certain people on this forum could pierce your ears from 800 meters.

I never said you could hit something from a mile away with it, its just much more effecient for most people. But I had to throw that last line in there for those M lovers. Me personaly, I'm not a very good shot, thats why I own 2 shotguns.

Anyone ever watch the AK v M16 Special?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0
very good presentation.
On a more non ignorant note... Each Gun has its pros and cons.

I don't need to watch a youtube video, I've got some hands on with them, but thanks just the same. Did you read the articles at the front end of this thread?

yes i did, i have hands on as well, AK, but not the M16... variants of it but not an actual m16... i used one once in bootcamp... it was pretty nice.

I was issued a VN era M-16A1 when I was first in Basic, then I had later versions of the M-16A1 throughout my checkered career. Also when I was in 9th MI/109th CEWI I did stints in OPFOR and had familiarization courses and shoot ins with assorted Warsaw Pact small arms up to and including the DsHK.

I never had a jam with any weapon (except stoppages with the DsHK, and also the M2HB) and I really did not like like the M-16s at all. They felt toy-like and 'not real' to me. Although I still would not like to be on the receiving end of it.

I didn't like the AK/RPDs to much either. It was 'chunky' and did not 'feel' right to me.

I did fire expert in the G-3 when in Germany and I loved that weapon vastly over each of the others. But when push came to shove, I would take an M-16 and pounds and pounds of extra bullets any day.

The worst weapon I ever toted though HAD to be an M-60 MG when I was assigned to the Lt's jeep as driver. That hawg hurt my back and shoulder so much. It was a blast (pardon the pun) to shoot though.

Not to pick at you but why does it seem that everyone says VN M16A1?? It's just M16 or AR15, the M16A1 variant didn't come until later with the cromed barrel and birdcage flash suppressor. I'm not trying to nit-pick here but, it says stuff like than on airsoft gun boxes.

Back