The Origin of the Beret

--

December 9th, 2004  
catalinargonzalez

Topic: The Origin of the Beret

I was pondering this question last night, and I conducted a search to see if anyone had written on this topic. Needless to say, I didn't find anything and this is why I'm posting my question:

Does anyone know, the origin of the beret as military gear? Who decided that the military to should wear berets? Was there a particular purpose that they served or is there some historical fact behind it?

if anyone one knows, please let me know.
December 9th, 2004  
EuroSpike

Topic: Re: The Origin of the Beret

Beret is the worst military hat i know. 100% stupid invention. Ok, maybe it can look good in a parade if weared well and properly but doesn't fit any other use.
December 9th, 2004  
beardo

Pride
--
December 9th, 2004  
egoz

For some reason I'm thinking it came from the British and the US took their que from them. It's a bit cloudy right now but I think that's what one of my professors mentioned a couple weeks ago while we briefly discussed some special forces teams.
December 9th, 2004  
Trevor

I'm pretty sure it originated from the french. Not sure when the military strated picking it up, though.
December 9th, 2004  
catalinargonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm pretty sure it originated from the french. Not sure when the military strated picking it up, though.

Yea, I kinda figured it did come from the french (twinge of sarcasm), but what I'm interested in knowing is how, why, what even led to the military (US in particular) adopting it.
December 9th, 2004  
CPrime

Acording microsoft's Encarta, de beret whas first in military use by the fench Alps regiments and several Scotish regiments. It doesnt who really had it first. Just that they both already had it as a part of there military uniforms before 1940.

By the way, I think it is a great idea.
December 9th, 2004  
Missileer

Here is the straight skinny on the origin of the beret, at least in US military use. I think you will be surprised by the answer. It seems that it was as close to a bare head as one could get and still have room for insignia. No starch or plumes to catch on brush so concealment was easier.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/.../u/unform5.asc

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/gener...rethistory.htm
December 9th, 2004  
beardo

the beret was in use in the Royal Marines long before that, they were using it in the Boer War
December 9th, 2004  
devilwasp

The beret is fantastic, i mean its great for concealment at night or day.
You can stay hidden even with out cam on it because of its colour.
I dont see why people think it is stupid.