Options in choosing battalion in infantry.

mahon

What are the options when it comes to applying for certain battalions? Can you get special consideration if you own a home in NSW, wife is well established in her job??
When you go through Singo at what point do they ask for your preference if at all? Can you put in a form to volunteer for parrachute training - and will that mean your a good chance to get into 3RAR?
Can you contact a unit directly and get them to swing it so you finish singo and go straight to their unit? IF so does anyone know rank in 3RAR who would do this? I am a reserve going full-time and I want to stay in NSW, if possible, got my own unit, just renovated it, wife happy in her job, its a tricky industry to get into and she simply won't relocate with me. I would just like to combine army and marriage... is that just a silly thought? "If the army wanted me married they'd issue a wife" - that the way it is?

Any thoughts/advice?

Mahon

mahon said:
What are the options when it comes to applying for certain battalions? Can you get special consideration if you own a home in NSW, wife is well established in her job??
When you go through Singo at what point do they ask for your preference if at all? Can you put in a form to volunteer for parrachute training - and will that mean your a good chance to get into 3RAR?
Can you contact a unit directly and get them to swing it so you finish singo and go straight to their unit? IF so does anyone know rank in 3RAR who would do this? I am a reserve going full-time and I want to stay in NSW, if possible, got my own unit, just renovated it, wife happy in her job, its a tricky industry to get into and she simply won't relocate with me. I would just like to combine army and marriage... is that just a silly thought? "If the army wanted me married they'd issue a wife" - that the way it is?

Any thoughts/advice?

Mahon

The Army will look at its needs and then look at the needs of the individual. At about half way through your training at Rifleman Wing they will ask for your prefered Bn. Remember that at some point in your career you will have to move away from the Bn for promotion. Not a good idea to contact the unit that you would like to go to directly as they will have no interest in you until you get posted to them. Plus SCMA tell you where you are going and they have the last say. Well I am married with three kids and they all enjoy traveling around, its a lifstyle thing that you family will have to get used to. Or you could go on posting as MS but I have seen a lot of families go down the tube. It is very easy to combine your military career and your family life. You just have to find what works for you and your family. You will need to sit down with your family and talk about the possibility of moving interstate before you submit your AC729. Its not all doom and gloom you should let people know about your reasons for wanting 3RAR then see what happens but remember like I said at the start the needs of the Army will come before the needs of the individual. On the parachute volunteer stuff when you joined the GRES you would have ticked yes or no to be a parachute volunteer if you cant remember then go see your CC through you chain of command to find the paper work for you. But that does not mean that you will go to 3RAR it is just a formallity.

Good Luck

Thanks mate.

Firstly big thank for the info. Its hard to get info about the Reg army from a Chocco unit. I would love to go interstate and live the life; I just should have done it when I was 17 but I went to uni, keeping the folks happy. Im 26 now; however I did first apply for ARA in September 2003 (when I enlisted as a Chocco) and nothing happened until last Friday when I got details of the transfer which I have to sign tonight. I am very happy to join - here's hoping I get 3 rar; the only other thing I can think of is try for the SFET, pass CTC and then get posted to 4rar but with only one test a year its full up; but at least down the track I can do it.
This is quite a cool forum I only stumbled upon it by accident.

Anyone recently been to ARTC for the Advanced Soldier Training? I have to do it; its things I already have done but hey It will help anyway. Does anyone know if you can use Gucci kit in either ARTC or Singo? Would it be stupid to bring an ALICE pack and frame? Bivy bag? Probably best to roll with DP1 right?

Cheers!!

At ARTC you will be re-issued with all the stuff. DONT TAKE GUCCI GEAR TO ARTC they will only take it off you. Same for IETs.
Keep it at home for when you get to your Bn. At the moment are you with 4/3 RNSWR at Holsworthy BKS????

Lips..

Nope. 2/17 (A Coy) do you know me? - I'll bring all my Dp1 previously issued gear for sure. I don't want to stand out - I went through Kapooka end of 03 and got the Advanced Soldier training end of this year - I'll have to snap back into the ARTC way, brace up for Corporals etc... still its only 35 days - could be 35 days out field in 0 degrees with rain! And I quite liked the food at ARTC!

No I dont know you, just that you were talking about 3RAR and 4RAR I just assumed you were at Holsworthy Bks.

Good luck at ARTC and Rifleman Wing. You never know I might see you at Singleton next year?!?!

Well if your army is much the same as the British one then sooner or later you going be sent all over the place, so your marriage could suffer. As far as Parachute training goes you can normally transfer across but know doubt there will be a special pre Para test to see if you are suitable for the the Airborne. Now you mentioned about the army issuing housewife's well they used to in my day and it would be laid out on the bed for inspection

Back