Opinions Wanted: Tactical Shotgun

major liability

I'm thinking of putting together a tactical pump-action shotgun soon, meaning it will have a cylinder choke, pistol grip stock, and ghost ring sights, hopefully with a tritium insert up front. After I save up a bit more, I may add a Knoxx SpecOps stock to help with Super Magnum slugs. Anyways, I have narrowed it down to three possible purchases: a Mossberg 590, Remington 870 (preferably with a 3 1/2" Super Magnum chamber), or a Benelli Nova Tactical. I've heard some bad things about the Mossberg 500 from friends, who also stated that Benelli's chokes are difficult to attach, remove, and clean. Another thing I heard was that the Nova Tactical foregrip has some play to it and wobbles audibly. I like the looks and feel of the Nova, but the Remingtons seem to be cheaper and more well-liked by the few people I know who've tried both.

Since there are a lot of avid gun collectors and enthusiasts on these forums, I figure this is a good place to look for input from people with hands-on experience. Technical data from the internet isn't what I'm after. If you help me out, Thanks in advance.

I had a Mossberg 500 for 10 years and put over 2-3000 rounds through it without any trouble. 18 inch barrel with the pistol grip fore and aft. I dont see why you would be worried about a choke with something like this as its for close combat and if you want a tight shot group just go with 3" magnum slugs. :) If you want something to be guaranteed lethal use bird shot. The person will bleed out because there are far too many holes for even the best trauma team to fix. I always alternated loads, first round was a slug then bird shot then 00 buck this was off advice from a few deputies in the family.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound bad. I'll have to get the feel of the Mossberg next time I head to the gun shop.

Anyone know about the Remmy 870?

BTW, Merry Christmas!

870 is a nice, sound gun. You can drag it behind a Mack for two hours, pick it up, and knock down a clay with it. Mine's been in use for about a decade- as a club, boat paddle, firearm, etc.

While we're on the subject of tactical weapons, is it legal for me to buy a pistol-grip stock and use it for duck hunting?

Yup, it's all legal. At least in my state.

Well, the Mossberg and the Remington 870 are kinda a little hard to compare simply because there are sooooo many types and builds of those to shotguns. As for the Benelli Nova Tactical. They are the GLOCK of shotguns. Light weight and super cool. Only catch with them is the diesgn of the stock/receiver being one piece. Really can't change it. Hence why many folks still go with either a Mossberg or a Remingotn.

If you want to go a little old school, might I recommend a Winchester Model 1897 Trench or Winchester Model 12 Trench. Ypou can mount a 17 inch bayonet on them and hit folks from across the yard.

Anyways back to business here.

The Mossberg 500 is a good shotgun but it's not a military shotgun. If you want a military shotgun. The Mossberg 590A1 is the true militart shotgun. Remington never submitted the 870 for the combat shotgun trails for one reason. Business, they had nothing to gain but everything to lose. If the Remington lost out in the trails to Mossberg, it would have been over. But since they didn't they never lost any face with the public at large. Also, after the trails. The military still bought Remington 870s for combat use.

Here is a good page about the two best shotguns on the market right now.

http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/content_nonsub/shotguns/compare_870_590.html

Well, I went to the gunshop to put a cheap Romanian SKS on layaway till I'm 18, and I narrowed it down to the Benelli Nova and this flippin awesome OD green 870 with the mag extension, ghost ring sights, and a Knoxx SpecOps stock. Pretty much exactly what I was gonna do to it myself. Now it just depends on how much money I have when I turn 18, the more I have the more likely I'll go for the Remington.

Back