Operation Phantom Fury, The Attack on Fallujah

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
Operation Phantom Fury

Just starting a thread of it's own about news from the attack on Falluja.

Here's a couple of articles about the attack:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....toryID=6754237&src=rss/worldNews&section=news
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/09/iraq.main/index.html

Reuters did also report that a US helicopter (unknown type) has been shot down, but this has been rejected by the US forces.

About 40 "terrorists" and 15 civilians have been killed so far, but I've heard nothing about and US casualties.

I did however hear on the radio this morning that two US Marines that were a part of this operation did drown in an accident on the Euphrates river.
This has not been confirmed yet.
Edit: found some more info here:
http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/33746.htm
Initial reports indicated that two Marines and 42 rebels were killed in the opening battles, but the numbers are expected to dramatically increase. The Marines drowned when their bulldozer flipped over in a river.

A hospital inside Falluja has also been hit according to civilian sources inside the city.
This is not confirmed either, since the US forces have not been able to reach that hospital yet..

Please post any news you see/read/hear about operation Phantom Fury in here (with sources please).

One thing of interest is I keep seeing people say "elite Iraqis" or "Iraqi commandos". I wonder if these are the guys that American SF trained?

Snauhi said:
USA will deny any loses too

...this is based on...? just the chopper thing?

Anyways, it seems a large portion of the terrorist are dispersing around Iraq. At least the "Alamo" will be gone...

Good thread, so can we keep all Fallujah related stuff here.

BEIJING, Nov. 9 (Xinhuanet) -- Fierce battles continued in the Iraqi city of Fallujah on Tuesday as US marines pushed into the heart of the besieged city.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-11/09/content_2195058.htm

xinsrc_5121101091942609197766.jpg

Sat map of Fallujah:
xinsrc_3421101090839703123198.jpg

On the military front, Fallujah is encircled by up to 20,000 US and Iraqi troops as US warplanes and artillery pounded the city, known as "the capital of resistance," when battles continued between US-Iraqi forces and fighters bent on defending the city.

As of this AM, U.S. forces hold 70% of Fallujah, nice job.

(AP) - U.S. forces bottled up insurgents in a narrow strip of Fallujah on Wednesday after a stunningly swift advance that seized control of 70 percent of the militant stronghold. Kidnappers abducted two members of Prime Minister Ayad Allawi's family in Baghdad. The speed of the U.S. drive may indicate that most Sunni fighters and their leaders abandoned the city before the offensive and repositioned themselves to carry on the fight elsewhere, officers said

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=World&cat=Iraq

Insurgents cannot withstand frontal attacks by U.S. Military

Quick victory is common in this type of war, but it will be short lived. Once Fallujah is secure, the insurgent fighters will once again start destabilizing the region. This is Guerilla warfare guys, the insurgents don't have the will nor resources to hold the line. Once the entire city is swept across and blocked, further violence will follow...and I can assure you that will happen again. :roll:

I heard they kidnapped Allawi's wife and a relative. Say they will behead them if Allawi doesn't withdraw troops from Falluja.

Re: Insurgents cannot withstand frontal attacks by U.S. Mili

Secrecy said:
Quick victory is common in this type of war, but it will be short lived. Once Fallujah is secure, the insurgent fighters will once again start destabilizing the region. This is Guerilla warfare guys, the insurgents don't have the will nor resources to hold the line. Once the entire city is swept across and blocked, further violence will follow...and I can assure you that will happen again. :roll:

I beg to differ. quick victory is not very common in a guerilla war. It wasn't quick when I was in Vietnam. Each conflict is unique. I'm sure the terrorists want to regroup and destabilize the whole area but we're there to prevent that. Each victory will make life more difficult for the bad guys. I still maintain that our forces are doing a great job in Fallujah during this operation.

I beg to differ. quick victory is not very common in a guerilla war. It wasn't quick when I was in Vietnam. Each conflict is unique. I'm sure the terrorists want to regroup and destabilize the whole area but we're there to prevent that. Each victory will make life more difficult for the bad guys. I still maintain that our forces are doing a great job in Fallujah during this operation.

Unfortunetly, Iraq is not Vietnam. The situation and tactics implied are totally different. I recognize your gallant service and experience in Vietnam, however that does not support the urgency for new tactical outlay to secure Iraq on a longer scale.

You see, the opposition forces in Iraq are not fighting like Terrorists at all, more like Urban Guerilla fighters and ragtag militias. When you are referring to Terrorists, Car bombings and unsuspected destruction in civilian areas is catergorized as Terrorism.

To stay on topic, the fighting in Fallujah is still going to be short lived if only the entire nation of Iraq has a strong and able national guard. From what I see right now, the current Iraqi armed forces are still ill equipped and poorly trained resulted from the rushed training process.[/code][/list]

I have also been to Iraq and as I stated "Each conflict is unique". I know something about how terrorists are fighting in Iraq. Technically, the definition of the word terrorism is "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion". It sound just like what the "insurgents" are doing to me.
Yeah, Iraq is not Vietnam. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
"A new tactical outlay"? What on earth are you saying. Are you trying to tell me that it's not 1970 anymore. Hey thanks again, I was getting confused again ;)
Seriously, you couldn't possibly believe that I was proposing that Iraq and Vietnam were the same? Please read my original post again before pontificating.
Unfortunately, if we haven't learned anything from our prior experiences fighting guerillas (and oh yes there was plenty of urban fighting there too) then we're doomed to repeat the same mistakes. I believe we learned our lessons well. I also believe that guerillas always use terror as a major weapon and if there is anyone who doesn't believe that, it will jump up and bite them one day, guaranteed. I hope nobody I know is near them when that happens though.
I can only speak from personal experience. You can believe what you want.

Back