Operation Phantom Fury, The Attack on Fallujah

It happens because of so many fake wounded, surrendering etc. enemies. You have a split second to decide whether or not to shoot, challenge... etc.
Or maybe that wounded guy left behind is going to blow up.... Very unfortunate still.

My sources tell me that 101st Airbourne may be heading over to Iraq or the Stan next April. Not confirmed as yet.

Another deployment? How many more men and resources command is requesting?

Well at least he didn't cut his head off while video taping it and screaming god is great. I dont look down on that marine in the slightest, people need to step out of their comfortable lifes and think what its like fighting in a city seeing your buddies drop.

Big_Z said:
Well at least he didn't cut his head off while video taping it and screaming god is great. I dont look down on that marine in the slightest, people need to step out of their comfortable lifes and think what its like fighting in a city seeing your buddies drop.

Exactly how I feel, I remember how pissed I was when I saw the pictures in the paper of the charred remainsof 11 dead Marines and civilian contractors hanging from a bridge in Iraq, not much mention in the media, yet when CIA and Army personel use some questionable techniques (torture) to try and attain information from resistance fighters to save the lives of Americans and Iraqi's and their was talk about the UN taking actions against those soldiers. Anybody else see a double standard there? For one thing this is not a UN operation, they have no jurisdiction over American troops in Iraq, and second of all, the Leaque of Nations proved that any interational organization that intended to use force if necassarry was powerless without US support.

I have a 4 minute long video clip on the firefights in Falluja but I don't know the website for it. I just have the file....
Any ideas how to post it?

The marines are doing what's necessary to win the battle, protect themselves and their buddies.

Lucky TV wasn't around during ww2.

At the end of the day, will we win the hearts and minds of the Iraq people?

aussiejohn said:
Lucky TV wasn't around during ww2.

My thoughts exactly, I have heard many people say that if the media in 1940 was anything like the media of today we would have lost WWII, I have heard my Grandpa, who fought in Korea, say things along those lines. This gets me in trouble alot in my World History class, I say that Liberals control the major news networks, she (Democrat, big time) says that is not true and says that if it were true then Fox would not be the only broadcast station facing a major lawsuit, my respones: "Have you ever watched the news? When was the last time they told of the good things the troops in Iraq are doing? All you hear about is death and scandal, subtle things like that." She changed the subject quite quickly.

aussiejohn said:
At the end of the day, will we win the hearts and minds of the Iraq people?

Probably not, the propaganda and the perception of this just looks bad to arabs/and/or/muslims. Quite frankly I think most of Iraq populous is either too ignorant or too uninformed on exactly what we and their Iraqi army are fighting for. By the end of the day, Fallujah was the alamo.....

I personally think this makes the Allawi government look stronger, cruel in their eyes, but stronger. Perhaps the hearts will be lost but........not the mind. They will side with the strongest, IMO.

Does anyone here have an email account or something that can take in a file just under 5 megabytes?
Hopefully a mod so they can find a way to have it posted here.

scott.moore said:
Links men we need links. I thought this was started so people could post links to different sites in regards to the current Operation in Iraq instead it has turned into a talk fest with no links. I dont mind the chatter but put your links in.
PLEASE

Agree!

This thread is for news from Fallujah, WITH links/sources please.

An update on the progress of the investigation.
The judge advocate general heading the investigation, Lieutenant Colonel Bob Miller, said that depending on the evidence, it could be reasonable to conclude the Marine was acting in self-defence.

“The policy of the rules of engagement authorise the Marines to use force when presented with a hostile act or hostile intent,” Miller said. “So they would have to be using force in self-defence, yes.”

“Any wounded – in this case insurgents – who don’t pose a threat would not be considered hostile,” said Miller.

Charles Heyman, a senior defence analyst with Jane’s Consultancy Group in Britain, defended the Marine’s actions, saying it was possible the wounded man was concealing a firearm or grenade.

“You can hear the tension in those Marines’ voices. One is showing, ‘He’s faking it. He’s faking it,”’ Heyman said. “In a combat infantry soldier’s training, he is always taught that his enemy is at his most dangerous when he is severely wounded.”

If the injured man makes even the slightest move, “in my estimation they would be justified in shooting him.”
http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3765272

Well the video's out now on the new thread.

Plus I don't think the Marine who shot that wounded guy should be jailed or punished. There have been too many incidents of "wounded" or "surrendering" guys popping up a nasty surprise.

Plus I don't think the Marine who shot that wounded guy should be jailed or punished. There have been too many incidents of "wounded" or "surrendering" guys popping up a nasty surprise.

Sorry, but I strongly believe that soldier should be seriously punished. His orders were clear. The commanders gave clear restrictions of not to shoot unarmed Iraqis. That Soldier disobeyed rules of engagement.

Discipline is above else more important than expressing emotional rage.

“The policy of the rules of engagement authorise the Marines to use force when presented with a hostile act or hostile intent,” Miller said. “So they would have to be using force in self-defence, yes.”

Judging from that video, there was no possible hostile intent taken place from that man.

He could have been lying there waiting for Americans to show up so he could blow up when enough were close by.

Tough call dude.

Then again if you don't punish this, this might prompt others to just shoot at will.

He could have

He could have, but never had because he was unarmed. Although it would may seem that this Marine have made a mistake, whether he did for intent or by accident this Marine deserves to be punished.

Secrecy said:
He could have

He could have, but never had because he was unarmed. Although it would may seem that this Marine have made a mistake, whether he did for intent or by accident this Marine deserves to be punished.

Ever been in Combat Stud?

If you haven't you've got no business questioning the actions of this Marine or any other service member with boots on the ground there.

Back