Operation Phantom Fury, The Attack on Fallujah

Well said. In terms of experience, these Terrorists or Insurgents don't fight like the V.C. or the NVA.

And heck yeah, we learned a lot from the Tet Offensive and Somalia. But, again there are new challenges and I think we are unprepared for this...guard duty. No matter what, this is war is questionable from the start.

If that's what you truly believe, then you're entitled to your opinion but I must respectfully disagree.

I'm not about to say that I know HOW it should be done, but Fallujah is a problem that must be solved if there is to be any hope of stability for the future of Iraq. You can criticize how its done, say this or that against opperations, but that's one fact I can't think of anyone disagreeing with. Fallujah must be stabilized.

As far as the USA "misreporting" ... well, it may take awhile to confirm and reconfirm things, but they're generally going to be pretty straightforward eventually.

It's been said that the leaders of the insurgents have already melted away. They will probably resurface in another town and begin their 'activities' all over again. It's going to take a while before this civil unrest dies away I'm afraid. :(

If anything their ability to operate is disturbed and in some ways destroyed when they get uprooted.
They have to start creating their security network from scratch. They may have lost key stuff while moving.
Higher risk of people ratting on them.
etc.

quite some injuries

1_injured.jpg

injured_2.jpg

injured_3.jpg

injured_1.jpg

It's common sense they would hussle to another city, but why was there no plan for countering it? Afterall, key rule of war is to never let your enemy escape.

But then, i'm not the hotshot at CENTCOM.

Not to downplay the Fallujah mission, it's still importaint, but it makes one curious.

That's true, I guess it boils down to one thing: not enough troopers

but you can't bring more in, bad public perception by the US, world, Iraqi's, etc. As if we were losing so "send more"

Here's the latest info -

(AP) - The top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. George Casey, told President Bush on Wednesday that his troops are "making very good progress" securing Iraq, as U.S. forces and their Iraqi allies essentially paralyzed insurgent forces in Fallujah and cut off their escape routes from the city. "He said that things are going well in Fallujah," Bush said on a day when U.S. forces cornered insurgents after a swift advance that seized control of 70 percent of the militant stronghold.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=World&cat=Iraq

Coast is somewhat clear in Fallujah for now. Now lets hope the situation gets under control at other places.

Re: Insurgents cannot withstand frontal attacks by U.S. Mili

DTop said:
Secrecy said:
Quick victory is common in this type of war, but it will be short lived. Once Fallujah is secure, the insurgent fighters will once again start destabilizing the region. This is Guerilla warfare guys, the insurgents don't have the will nor resources to hold the line. Once the entire city is swept across and blocked, further violence will follow...and I can assure you that will happen again. :roll:

I beg to differ. quick victory is not very common in a guerilla war. It wasn't quick when I was in Vietnam. Each conflict is unique. I'm sure the terrorists want to regroup and destabilize the whole area but we're there to prevent that. Each victory will make life more difficult for the bad guys. I still maintain that our forces are doing a great job in Fallujah during this operation.

I agree wholeheartedly Top. I have read that there are 600 bodies in Fallujah all of which belong to the fighters who were dumb enough to stay. There are others on the run but we're on their collective butts. It's pretty hard to regroup when several hundred Marine snipers are just waiting for you to slow down. These guys are not able to reform into effective fighting units and have almost no communication which is crucial. I read where Mosques are no longer being protected. If fire is traced to one, the bombers are called in. Our Commanders are moving at a pace designed to maximize casualties on our their side and protect our guys.

Hegario said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3997461.stm

I can't see Ramadi being an issue at the moment, if anything, it's a diversion. I don't know if we're lacking troops in the area, but we seem to be doing fine everywhere else. If we need more troops I'm sure the commanders will get them with or without a consensus.

So in other words, the U.S. is experimenting on new tactics to see whether it works or not.

Once the siege is over, what lays ahead? Time will tell ladies and gentlemen.

Secrecy said:
So in other words, the U.S. is experimenting on new tactics to see whether it works or not.

Once the siege is over, what lays ahead? Time will tell ladies and gentlemen.

Please, don't even attempt to understand tactics used by the finest Military minds on the Earth, you will only become more exasperated than before.

Back