Operation Phantom Fury, The Attack on Fallujah - Page 11

--

November 16th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrecy

Quote:
“The policy of the rules of engagement authorise the Marines to use force when presented with a hostile act or hostile intent,” Miller said. “So they would have to be using force in self-defence, yes.”
Judging from that video, there was no possible hostile intent taken place from that man.
But do we have any video of the one's who did turn around and shoot our guys in the back? No. They might have looked axactly the same right before pulling out a grenage or pistol and taking some cheap shots at our troops.
November 16th, 2004  
Young Winston

The Marine will be dealt with under the rules of engagement.

It makes you wonder what value there really is in having embedded TV crews with the Marines.

Unfortunately incidents like this happen all the time in all theatres of war. I'm not saying it's right but war isn't a nice clean game with a simple set of rules to follow.

Reports state that the Marine had been wounded the previous day and was obviously suffering battle stress.

If we are going to the conduct war with trial by TV on every operation then the Marines may as well pack up and go home.

I am not suggesting that TV should not be there at all. It has a role to play in covering the war objectively.
November 16th, 2004  
DTop

My sentiments exactly 03USMC. This Marine should not be questioned from the comfort of a cushy seat in some student lounge. I know that if I were in the same position and if I suspected any danger, I would not put my fellow soldiers' lives at risk either.
I agree with you aussiejohn, things like this do happen in all wars. The only difference here is that there was a camera this time.
--
November 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Here's something I know... if the Iraqis didn't use their dead and wounded as booby traps, that Marine probably wouldn't have opened fire.
November 17th, 2004  
MadeInChina

the iraqi reblels are pretty stupid, they should empoly hit and run tactic, concentrate their forces aginist small amount of american troops...

and they lost alot of equipment and soldiers, what a pity.....
November 17th, 2004  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision
the iraqi reblels are pretty stupid, they should empoly hit and run tactic, concentrate their forces aginist small amount of american troops...

and they lost alot of equipment and soldiers, what a pity.....

Yeah it's a cryin shame ain't it.

Semper Fi
November 17th, 2004  
MadeInChina

they have pretty stupid leaders thats for sure.. i mean cmon, at least concentrate their forces and fight with strategy
November 17th, 2004  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision
they have pretty stupid leaders thats for sure.. i mean cmon, at least concentrate their forces and fight with strategy
If they concentrate their forces that will only make our job easier. And how do you know that they did not concentrate their forces in Falluja, nobody really knows how many insurgents are in Iraq.

They are using strategy buddy, their strategy is to use terror tactics to achieve their goals, which like it or not can be very successful.
November 17th, 2004  
Kane

Quote:
Ever been in Combat Stud?

If you haven't you've got no business questioning the actions of this Marine or any other service member with boots on the ground there.
Thats not up to me to or you or any service member in the US military to decide. It's up to this Marine's responsibility to decide. It's his business. But in my eyes, he made a mistake.

Quote:
The Marine will be dealt with under the rules of engagement.

It makes you wonder what value there really is in having embedded TV crews with the Marines.

Unfortunately incidents like this happen all the time in all theatres of war. I'm not saying it's right but war isn't a nice clean game with a simple set of rules to follow.

Reports state that the Marine had been wounded the previous day and was obviously suffering battle stress.

If we are going to the conduct war with trial by TV on every operation then the Marines may as well pack up and go home.

I am not suggesting that TV should not be there at all. It has a role to play in covering the war objectively.
Correct.
November 17th, 2004  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrecy

Thats not up to me to or you or any service member in the US military to decide. It's up to this Marine's responsibility to decide. It's his business. But in my eyes, he made a mistake.

It's not me who seems to be judging him . He made a mistake? How do come to that conclusion? From 2 minutes and 30 seconds of video?

Glad to see college students are still capable of passing judgement.