Operation Drill Bit: A Movement for cheaper gas

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
operation_drillbit_460.jpg

It’s time to reduce our dependency on foreign oil, and begin drilling our own resources… Now!

• That’s why we’re rolling out, “Operation Drill Bit”…
• Here’s what we need to do…
• Go to Lowe’s or Home Depot or whatever mom & pop hardware store you like, and buy a drill bit to send to your congressman or woman…
• In fact, buy at least 3…
• One for your Representative in the House
• And one for each of your two United States Senators.
• Tell them you are sick and tired of gas prices, and of watching this great country borrow money from the Chinese to buy oil from the Saudi’s
Click Here to find the address for your senators and congressman.
• Click around on their web pages until you find their Washington, D.C. office… Don’t send anything to a local or district office.
• Include the message: IT'S TIME TO DRILL OUR OWN OIL NOW!
• Let’s flood Washington with drill bits to let them know it’s time to drill ANWR, the Gulf of Mexico and other domestic resources.
• We’re mad as hell, and we’re not going to take it anymore!!!

To locate your Senators and Representatives using your zipcode

Also check out and sign Newt Gingrich's American Solution petition - Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less.

Schnitt Show
I'm not a big fan of Todd Shnitt and his show but I listen to it because nothing else is on the radio from 3pm-6pm.

I do believe that if we go after our own oil sources in the Gulf, Alaska, etc.... it will be a short term answer to our fuel problems. We do need to develop a fuel source that makes us energy independent from gasoline and diesel and also independent from OPEC. But right now we have oil. Let's go after it.

We should be doing the same in Britain. For ages our government has been telling us that our oil is running out. It now seems that this is not so at all. We have enough already to last another 50 years. Of course we sell the damn stuff elsewhere, and still pay some $13 dollars a gallon at the pumps. We should be drilling harder and drilling deeper. We should diminish the grip of the OPEC countries.

Hey, I've got an idea! Instead of sending drill bits to our congressmen, we could write letters asking them to invest more in alternatives!

Lets not forget about the
Oil Shale Resources

Green River Formation
Location of the Green River Formation Oil Shale and Its Main Basins
OSTS_Map1-600.gif

While oil shale is found in many places worldwide, by far the largest deposits in the world are found in the United States in the Green River Formation, which covers portions of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Estimates of the oil resource in place within the Green River Formation range from 1.2 to 1.8 trillion barrels. Not all resources in place are recoverable; however, even a moderate estimate of 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from oil shale in the Green River Formation is three times greater than the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia. Present U.S. demand for petroleum products is about 20 million barrels per day. If oil shale could be used to meet a quarter of that demand, the estimated 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from the Green River Formation would last for more than 400 years

More than 70% of the total oil shale acreage in the Green River Formation, including the richest and thickest oil shale deposits, is under federally owned and managed lands. Thus, the federal government directly controls access to the most commercially attractive portions of the oil shale resource base.

I also heard that they recently found something 4 billion barrels in Montana too. Not sure of exact number but it's something like, 4, 14 or 44 billion.

I still maintain that all we need is a lot more nuclear powerplants and incentives for the power companies to create hydrogen fuel infrastructure. Not only would we be a lot less dependant on foreign countries for the very energy that makes this country tick, but we'd pollute a hell of a lot less and the only problem would be disposing of the waste.

I think they should pick an isolated spot in the desert and just launch the stuff into sun, or at least out of Earth orbit. An isolated spot so it won't matter if the rocket explodes and spreads radioactive material to the winds.

A solar panel sized 100 square miles placed in the mojave desert could provide electricity to the entire US. Start building electric cars. Problem solved.

TOG - that's most interesting. Is it factual? I find it hard to consider - such a simple solution to such a massive problem.

TOG - that's most interesting. Is it factual? I find it hard to consider - such a simple solution to such a massive problem.
http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/991/

That's only one source. I got it originally from the documentary Who Killed The Electric Car?

But it's not that simple. Car companies don't like electric cars because they're so squeaky clean and there are so few things that can go wrong. There's a lot of money in maintenance. Suddenly, no oil changes, and there IS a reason that companies put plastic cowling all over everything and computers and weird sized bolts, etc. It's to make you come back to the dealer for maintenance work. But with an electric car, there's very little than needs to be done. And oil companies would throw a fit because, unlike several alternatives, this really would put them out of business. And, one solar panel would almost certainly require the nationalization of the US Electric business. And think of what problems that would cause...

Last edited:
Well, it's not better here, even though we are an oil producing and exporting country.
Whoops, shouldn't have said that, maybe we'll have GWB knocking on our door before we know.. :hide:

Anyway, we do sell more oil than we use, and still pay 2,7 times the fuel price you have in the US, at least. :-(
Most of our electrical supply comes from hydro-plants, and we haven't got a real shortage of it, but the electrical companies find it more interesting to sell the power off to the continental Europe when the demand is low here, instead of keeping the water in the resorvoirs untill demand is raising.
As a result we have to buy power from polluting coal or oil plants in the continental Europe when our own production is low...

And due to the Kyoto agreement and the fear of contributing to the pollution on world basis we sell liquid gas (LPG) to the continental Europe instead of making gas power plants and turning it in to electricity.
And then we but the electric power back from the coutries we sold the gas to in the first place...

So, given the mentality of our politicians I don't think that cheaper gas is within our dreams for the first centuries.
And it probably wouldn't be before the rest of the world has turned to some alternative fuel so that the demand for oil is reduced to zero on world basis...

A thing that struck me here, given the fact that US farmers is struggeling to survive on the agricultural marked, why don't they turn to growing crops suitable for production of bio-fuel instead?
Maybe not economical at the moment, but it will be someday!
And it wouldn't affect the third world food prices either, so it would be both ethicly ant politicly correct.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/991/

That's only one source. I got it originally from the documentary Who Killed The Electric Car?

I couldn't clearly read the article because of its lay-out, but it did manage to tell me that because I proffered my interest I qualified as an EcoGeek!

I was aware of the situation regarding cars, but the 100 sq. mile electricity / solar panel solution is new to me.

84RFK - Is there any will among politicians to go for it at all?

Last edited:
A thing that struck me here, given the fact that US farmers is struggeling to survive on the agricultural marked, why don't they turn to growing crops suitable for production of bio-fuel instead?
Maybe not economical at the moment, but it will be someday!
And it wouldn't affect the third world food prices either, so it would be both ethicly ant politicly correct.

The greatest fear with bio-fuels is that they are not efficient enough processes to drive down the cost of gas and that instead of lowing the price at the pump you are just going increase the cost of food stuffs that use the base material because it is clearly more profitable for farmers to sell to the highest bidder.

Lets face it if you were in business and could sell a ton of corn for $200 to a fuel company or $50 to a cornflour company which would you choose?

Last edited:
Back