Operation Anaconda: The Battle of Roberts' Ridge - Page 4

--

May 1st, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
There were lots of people there. In fact, the world's record sniper kill was set by Canadians who were operating in support of US troops during Anaconda. The kill was confirmed at 2430 metres.

Dean.
The "Battle of Robert's Ridge" is referring to a specific battle that occurred during Operation Anaconda on Takur Ghar. It does not encompass the entire operation, and very few were actually directly involved with this battle outside of the US Navy, Air Force, and Army.

The Battle of Takur Ghar is one of the many heroic and tragic battles that were waged during Operation Anaconda.

Quote:
Hi, can anyone tell me all of the servicemen who were interviewed on this program (Operation Anaconda: The Battle of Roberts' Ridge)? I didn't catch the program and would like to know who was interviewed. I'm conducting research on the battle. Thanks for your help!

Very few members were actually interviewed, there is still an active gag order on most of the guys that were there. I don't like putting guys names on forums, even if they have been in the lime light, but if you do a search on the articles out there, you'll see two or three names that are pretty standard for interviews, those were the same guys interviewed for the show.

The entire story of this particular battle is not out and won't be for some time.
May 26th, 2006  
Easy-8

I read a book about US Army Special Forces in Afghanistan. The invasion was not well organized. They had to use pick up trucks because the Air Force refused to lend them choopers. Kinda reminds me of op Urgent Furt with the lack of services supporting each other.
May 26th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy-8
I read a book about US Army Special Forces in Afghanistan. The invasion was not well organized. They had to use pick up trucks because the Air Force refused to lend them choopers. Kinda reminds me of op Urgent Furt with the lack of services supporting each other.
USAF Helos were very busy during Op. Anaconda, our HH-60s and MH-53s are now worse for wear because of Afghanistan service. Whatever book you read gave you not only incorrect information, but just plain wrong information. We used pick-up trucks for another reason. It's pretty silly to even assume you could use a pick-up truck in place of a helo, anyway.

--