Opera Web Browser

wolfen

Ok I downloaded it, got a few widgets for it, so far so good, not quite as good as my good old reliable FrieFox, but its something to play with .

Ok I downloaded it, got a few widgets for it, so far so good, not quite as good as my good old reliable FrieFox, but its something to play with .

I have always liked Opera it is not as compact as Firefox but I like the inbuilt email option over Firefox's separate Thunderbird.

Hey guys, Opera is the only web browser I've never used, I've always been a IE, Netscape, FF guy
But I hate AOL, and AOL bought Netscape a long time ago, so I've been useing FF since then, and now AOL has their hand in FF, so just in case I tried Opera.
I did have FF3.0.3, but every time I clicked my bookmarks, it tried to bookmark my homepage, then I did a little research and found a link to Mozilla on AOL's Netscape site, so I've imported my FF bookmarks to Opera now, and so far I'm very pleased with the Preformance, I use a certain webiste to test my webbrowsers, its aces high's main site, IE shows a small video with no sound, FF shows nothing, and Opera shows the video WITH sound. It would seem that Opera has taken teh best of IE and FF and combined it into a web browser that works on multi platforms and operateing systems.
Only thing FF has that Opera doesn't is spelcheck on websites liek this one, so I mispell a word or two now and then bear with me till I learn to spell LOL.

I have always liked Opera it is not as compact as Firefox but I like the inbuilt email option over Firefox's separate Thunderbird.

the Compactness isn't an issue with me I have a 250 gig Hdd. I had no problem setting up my email acct, now all I have to do is figure out how to make the mail work and put read messages in the folders (filters) I want to keep hem in and how to send the email there when I want to.
So far I like Thrundebird better as a email client

Last edited:
the Compactness isn't an issue with me I have a 250 gig Hdd. I had no problem setting up my email acct, now all I have to do is figure out how to make the mail work and put read messages in the folders (filters) I want to keep hem in and how to send the email there when I want to.
So far I like Thrundebird better as a email client

Hehe I have about 1.2TB of HDD space but I still prefer my software to be compact and efficient as I see it as a sign of a well written bit of software.

I like Thunderbird (and still use it) but I do prefer the idea of a single button browser/mail client and Opera provides that, the only thing that put me off Opera initially was a strange incompatibility that used to see it crash and require a full HD scan before my comp would function again, but that was about 7 or 8 versions ago and it seems very stable now.

Well the version I have is the latest one the put out (9.6) and my browser home page has a local news section from Channel 3 that scrolls, neitheer IE or FF do that. Liek said before all I need is the spelcheck feature, and I'm sure thats a widget somewhere.

But, monty, how do I set the email to save email in certain folders instead of all in one?
And when I try to put something in say the "keep" filter I made it only copys it tothere and if I delete it from the recieven filter its gone from both.

I use Opera on a daily basis, it's very customizable and one of the first browsers to introduce tabbed browsing, if not the first period. It has a built in pop up and ad blocker, and many scripts that use IE exploits don't work on Opera, so it's quite safe. Runs smooth on both Linux and NT. Comes with great zoom features for viewing fine print or pictures/videos. IMO, it looks A LOT better than both IE and Firefox, especially the latest version.

Free download: http://www.opera.com/

Opera

Hi Lunatik
Just downloaded Opera seems quick and do like the interface of the mail program. But don't like how everything just opens within itself, took me too long just to get back to the browser. It's going to take a little while playing around to get the feel.

Well the version I have is the latest one the put out (9.6) and my browser home page has a local news section from Channel 3 that scrolls, neitheer IE or FF do that. Liek said before all I need is the spelcheck feature, and I'm sure thats a widget somewhere.

But, monty, how do I set the email to save email in certain folders instead of all in one?
And when I try to put something in say the "keep" filter I made it only copys it tothere and if I delete it from the recieven filter its gone from both.

Ok the way to do it is:
1) Right click in the folders area of your mail client and you should see an option call "New Filter", select that.

2) Right click in the "New Filter" and select "Properties".

3) In the "General" section enter a new name for the filter and then go to the "Rules" tab and enter the rules as you want them.

4) You are all set, however if you want to use those filters on your existing inbox select the "Filter Existing Messages" option and you should be all done.

In terms of a spell checker there is one available and it works reasonably well although I think by comparison to Firefox it is a little clumsy.

Hi Lunatik
Just downloaded Opera seems quick and do like the interface of the mail program. But don't like how everything just opens within itself, took me too long just to get back to the browser. It's going to take a little while playing around to get the feel.
It's called efficiency brother. That's what Opera's all about. 8)

You know who else uses opera? Colin Farrell. Hehhe. There's a cool CIA/intelligence type movie called "The Recruit". He co-stars in it with Al Pacino. There you can see him play around with one of Opera's earlier versions. :camo:

132622__recruit_l.jpg

Last edited:
Ok the way to do it is:
1) Right click in the folders area of your mail client and you should see an option call "New Filter", select that.

2) Right click in the "New Filter" and select "Properties".

3) In the "General" section enter a new name for the filter and then go to the "Rules" tab and enter the rules as you want them.

4) You are all set, however if you want to use those filters on your existing inbox select the "Filter Existing Messages" option and you should be all done.

In terms of a spell checker there is one available and it works reasonably well although I think by comparison to Firefox it is a little clumsy.

Ok that much I understand, but please explain what teh rules are ina language a old seadog can understand :)

When you create a filter it makes a folder which corresponds to that rule so if for example you want to put all email from "Joe Bloggs" into one folder automatically you would:

1) Create a filter.

2) Right click on the "New Filter" folder and select "Properties".

3) Name the folder whatever you like say "Joe Bloggs"

4) Select the "Rules" Tab and you will see text that says something like... "Match messages where subject contains", select that and you will see the drop down boxes below it become adjustable.

5) Change the boxes as you require, in this case you would set the boxes to read "From Header" - "Contains" - "Joe Bloggs" (you will have to type that yourself).

6) Select "Filter existing messages" and that will run the filter on your existing inbox.

And you are done.
Any time you get an email from Joe Bloggs it should be automatically placed in that folder.

You can add further variables if you want but I suspect it is best just to get the basics up and running first.

Thanks Monty :) I'll start pideling with that tonight, I reinstalled FF3 and it does teh same thing it did when I uninstalled it, so I'm definetly in the market for a new browser.

What sucks about it?
So far I like it better than Firefox 3.0.3 every time I install ff3 and click my bookmarks, it tries to bookmark my home page so for now till they answer my email I'm using Opera and FF 2

And btw Operas spell checker might be a little hard to find, but it is better than FF's
but I'm always open to ideas and opinions about web browsers, I need the safest fastest one for some of the things I do here.

I think Opera sucks. I've tried it, and I'm not doing that again. I like Firefox and safari. :2guns:

I am pretty much hooked on Firefox but Safari is just bloody horrible (even if it is very fast), the one browser I have been meaning to try out is Chrome but I can never get it to download so I have pretty much given up.

Back