Only an Army Ranger would know...

Whispering Death

It's a long shot I know, but I've got a situation in which a person applying for a position has claimed to be an army ranger. I was wonder if ya'll knew anything specific about the life of an army ranger that only someone who has been an army ranger would know.

Something like "what color are the walls in the mess hall" or something like that.

Long shot I know, but you guys are pretty knowledgeable.

Why would you have any doubts as to the correctness of the information that they have supplied for applying for this position?? If you are the person doing the hiring then ask for referees if they have not already been supplied and give them a call. Otherwise you may be starting off on the wrong foot with the future employee.(thats if you are the employer).

Or be upfront and ask them face to face.

It's an aplicant for a command position in a 5,000 man paintball wargame, the largest of its kind in the world. Since communication is done over the internet we mostly communicate through email and anyone can claim to be anything over the internet.

As a tribute to the heros of DDay, the event draws a good number of past and present servicemen but almost never anyone of such high stature so we want to be sure he's legit and not a scheister. And as everybody knows the world has many more scheisters than army rangers.

Ask him if he's a tabbed Ranger or a Batt Boy.

Ask him the name of the O Course at the Ranger School.

If he's a vet, ask for a DD214 and say it's SOP for a command position. If he's presently in the service, he should be wearing dog tags with a number on it that's easy to check. Even if he has a set made, he'll know that a serial no. is easy to check out.

Yeah his Ranger Tab and Jump Wings will be on his DD214.

But he may have no clue what a Serial/Service # is since they use the ssn now. I've run into Prive's who get a blank look on their face and say "Huh?" Oh you mean my Social :roll:

Thing with Challenge Coins is you can buy them all day from the PX, Mail Order Companies and on line.

82ndMechanic said:
Ask him about the three different phases.

Ask him about the blueberry pancakes.

You know, that's so vague it's killing me to know what about three different phases and what the hell do the army rangers have to do with blueberry pancakes?

As for the pancakes, it really wouldn't be helpful to anyone to answer your question about the pancakes. This is a question often used to trip pretenders up, as simple as it is. Some things, you'll just have to experience to know.

Your best bet is to ask for a copy of his DD-214 with all of his PERSEC information but his name blacked out. If he is unwilling to send that, as I would be for paint ball:

Ask him the standard questions .. what batt and when.

Ask him where RIP was conducted.

Ask him what his Ranger Class number is.

Ask him who the Regt CSM and CO were.

Don't bother coining him - you won't know how to tell the difference between a Regt. issued coin and a vendor coin anyway.

If he doesn't answer your questions - then chances are, he's not a Ranger.

Report back with your replies, and I can give you a quick yay or nay.

If he doesn't answer your questions - I'd say go with your gut feeling and tag him a pretender. You can PM me his name if he doesn't, and I'll throw it out in the community - it's pretty small, and if someone isn't known to you, you'll certainly know someone that does know them. I won't call RTB for confirmation based on paint ball, however.

Back