Only in America - Page 6

--
Boots

November 20th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Yeah, the ol' gun control debate -- its lovely and all. The point is that, although we certainly have problems, it has not led to a state of total anarchy and civil war -- it hasn't been a GIANT catastrophe. Obviously there are SOME problems, but that's to be expected.

Interesting bit about my home town. Its a tiny Wyoming town of about 8000 people. Frequently, people will move in (they seem to come and leave at the same rate), they are generally pretty freaked out. Every Pickup has a Gunrack with at least 2 rifles and usually 1 shotgun in it year-round. They're convinced that they're going to get shot anyday. So what's the murder rate in ol' Cody, Wyoming? Oh, maybe once every 20 years or so, and it may or may not involve a gun. Having lots of guns around is not necessarily a guarantee that there will be a problem.

Seems that the larger the town, the more likely that there is a problem with the misuse of guns. Rural America doesn't really need a lot of gun control most generally. Urban America generally does.
November 20th, 2004  
Kane

Rural America has less chance of people misusing firearms because the population is much smaller compared to the cramped urban America. In Ubran America, there is a higher chance of domestic violence because of several factors such as the enviroment, social interactons, etc.
November 20th, 2004  
Doc.S

Why do I got the feeling that in Rural America there is another form of respect and understanding for firearms then in the Urban America? I got the feeling that Urban America is more like sweden it is often Liberal Democratic and they dont like guns at all? If I would move anywhere in america I would like to live in the Rural arreas thats for sure. Maby I dont have Internet then, but heck I will have the shooting range instead.

Cheers:
Doc.S
--
Boots
November 21st, 2004  
FlyingFrog

I cannot help to ask: what does ol' mean?

Anyone to help?
November 21st, 2004  
Kane

I think it subtitutes the word "old".
November 21st, 2004  
FlyingFrog

OK, thanks, so when ppl say "Ol'd boy" it's "Old Boy"
November 21st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.S
Why do I got the feeling that in Rural America there is another form of respect and understanding for firearms then in the Urban America?
Pretty simple (I've lived in big cities and small towns BTW). Small town, Rural Amercia mostly shoots at animals with their guns (unless somebody's breaking into their house etc). Urban America has something of a lack of wild game to shoot at. Also, something about being crammed all together -- I'd swear it makes people crazy. So their guns get used on each other ... and stupidly. Half of them never even learn to shoot straight if they actually own a gun. Most aren't even instructed on how to use it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.S
I got the feeling that Urban America is more like sweden it is often Liberal Democratic and they dont like guns at all?
Well, all those stupid moron gangbangers seem to like guns okay -- and its people like them that are the problem. Conscientious city dwellers usually come to the same conclusion -- "Guns are evil." While I'm can't fault the logic that led them to that, the problem is almost always the person who owns the gun. And no matter how restrictive city governments get, the fact that small-town america is very relaxed on gun control means that they CAN get them easily -- with a little extra effort.

Quote:
If I would move anywhere in america I would like to live in the Rural arreas thats for sure. Maby I dont have Internet then, but heck I will have the shooting range instead.

Cheers:
Doc.S
My only complaint about Rural America -- not enough jobs. If you can manage it, you'll find Rural America much safer in almost all categories.
November 21st, 2004  
Doc.S

Thanks godofthunder9010 A couple of years ago I watched a documentary about a place called Almost Heaven in north-west Idaho somewhere. My wife falled in love with that place almost instantly and I wonder if that might be a good place to move if I want to come closer to the nature and on the same time get the feeling of Rural America? Or maby that place is dangerous? What do I know. The people living there was asfar I can see very nice people to be honest. Maby that is a place only for people that got enough money so they dont have to work for a living? I want to avoid every nature-catastrophic areas as far as it goes, including places with military targets and nuclear power plants on, I prefer to have them in a safe distance, any suggestions? And please if you have any information about Almost Heaven Idaho please send a post-card over here.

Cheers:
Doc.S
November 21st, 2004  
Kane

Quote:
So their guns get used on each other ... and stupidly. Half of them never even learn to shoot straight if they actually own a gun. Most aren't even instructed on how to use it at all.
We heard numerous automatic fire from those rifles, but many of them went astray. So which means those guys obviously never knew how to operate automatic rifles at all. Although we really can't see what sort of firearms they were using, the report of the AK-47 can be easily distinguished immediately from the distance. But, that's not what I had in mind when during that situation, I was scared to h*ll!!!
November 21st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The part about how to use a gun that they missed and the very first thing that my father taught me: The barrel never ever ever points at another person ... ever.

I don't doubt that those maniacs know how to use the weapons, they're just idiots. Inner city can do all the gun control they want as far as I'm concerned.