Only in America

Don't get me wrong, we have our fair share of troubles up here, but yes, I love this country to death.

Good you should love your Country. But it never ceases to amaze me that People who do not reside here know whats best for us.

But it never ceases to amaze me that People who do not reside here know whats best for us.

Yes, perhaps the international world does know what's best for us. In exchange, we should continue to understand what is best for other people throughout the world as well.

Pertaining to the right to bear arms I believe that this constitutional right should continue to exist, however, it must be controlled strictly. I can assure you that a majority of Americans don't want mentally ill or murderers acquiring firearms.

Speaking from personal experience, my fellow neighbor, who was a NYPD police officer, was shot and killed by an unknown criminal in front of my old apartment's sidewalk. Several years ago, my friend and I accidently drove into disputed gang-held territory in LA and later pinned down by AK-47s. Luckily, we were able to escape unharmed.
After these two incidents, I was beginning to question the constitutional right to bear arms. But, that was only 5-6 years ago and I still feel no strong objection to this right.

Secrecy said:
But it never ceases to amaze me that People who do not reside here know whats best for us.

Yes, perhaps the international world does know what's best for us. In exchange, we should continue to understand what is best for other people throughout the world as well.

I have a hard time believing that the "international community" knows what is best for US. Although thats what the UN would like us to believe.

I do not advocate the curtailment of rights or the ignoring of US interests just to give certain nations a warm fuzzy feeling.

secrecy, that unfortunate those things happened to you. but even the strictest gun laws won't prevent weapons from getting into the country or people from acquiring them. look at japan for example. they have very strict gun laws but people are still able to get ahold of automatic weapons.

secrecy, that unfortunate those things happened to you. but even the strictest gun laws won't prevent weapons from getting into the country or people from acquiring them. look at japan for example. they have very strict gun laws but people are still able to get ahold of automatic weapons.

A law that is not properly enforced results instances like this.

Secrecy said:
A law that is not properly enforced results instances like this.
it's still illegal to bring in assault rifles into the states, but enforcing that is just as difficult as stopping drugs from coming into the states. if you're trying to say that law enforcement isn't working hard enough, or that federal agents don't put their time in, then you really have to reassess what's going on. i know a few agents and officers and they work their asses off, so don't insult them by saying they can't enforce laws in this country.

it's still illegal to bring in assault rifles into the states, but enforcing that is just as difficult as stopping drugs from coming into the states. if you're trying to say that law enforcement isn't working hard enough, or that federal agents don't put their time in, then you really have to reassess what's going on. i know a few agents and officers and they work their asses off, so don't insult them by saying they can't enforce laws in this country.

What are you talking about? did I mention about agents and officers? And what do you mean "few"? There are many agents and officers that are working their asses off!

The reason why laws are not properly enforced is because of the government shows very little effort in doing so. It is still legal to hold assault rifles in the states. The Assualt weapons ban has expired and the Bush Administration did virtually very little of trying to limit the amount of assualt weapons.
ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms) agents have done a superb job and will continue to do a good job if they continue to have strong and competent leaders.

Yeah, the ol' gun control debate -- its lovely and all. The point is that, although we certainly have problems, it has not led to a state of total anarchy and civil war -- it hasn't been a GIANT catastrophe. Obviously there are SOME problems, but that's to be expected.

Interesting bit about my home town. Its a tiny Wyoming town of about 8000 people. Frequently, people will move in (they seem to come and leave at the same rate), they are generally pretty freaked out. Every Pickup has a Gunrack with at least 2 rifles and usually 1 shotgun in it year-round. They're convinced that they're going to get shot anyday. So what's the murder rate in ol' Cody, Wyoming? Oh, maybe once every 20 years or so, and it may or may not involve a gun. Having lots of guns around is not necessarily a guarantee that there will be a problem.

Seems that the larger the town, the more likely that there is a problem with the misuse of guns. Rural America doesn't really need a lot of gun control most generally. Urban America generally does.

Rural America has less chance of people misusing firearms because the population is much smaller compared to the cramped urban America. In Ubran America, there is a higher chance of domestic violence because of several factors such as the enviroment, social interactons, etc.

Why do I got the feeling that in Rural America there is another form of respect and understanding for firearms then in the Urban America? I got the feeling that Urban America is more like sweden it is often Liberal Democratic and they dont like guns at all? :lol: If I would move anywhere in america I would like to live in the Rural arreas thats for sure. Maby I dont have Internet then, but heck I will have the shooting range instead. :D

Cheers:
Doc.S
:viking:

Doc.S said:
Why do I got the feeling that in Rural America there is another form of respect and understanding for firearms then in the Urban America?
Pretty simple (I've lived in big cities and small towns BTW). Small town, Rural Amercia mostly shoots at animals with their guns (unless somebody's breaking into their house etc). Urban America has something of a lack of wild game to shoot at. Also, something about being crammed all together -- I'd swear it makes people crazy. So their guns get used on each other ... and stupidly. Half of them never even learn to shoot straight if they actually own a gun. Most aren't even instructed on how to use it at all.

Doc.S said:
I got the feeling that Urban America is more like sweden it is often Liberal Democratic and they dont like guns at all?
Well, all those stupid moron gangbangers seem to like guns okay -- and its people like them that are the problem. Conscientious city dwellers usually come to the same conclusion -- "Guns are evil." While I'm can't fault the logic that led them to that, the problem is almost always the person who owns the gun. And no matter how restrictive city governments get, the fact that small-town america is very relaxed on gun control means that they CAN get them easily -- with a little extra effort.

:lol: If I would move anywhere in america I would like to live in the Rural arreas thats for sure. Maby I dont have Internet then, but heck I will have the shooting range instead. :D

Cheers:
Doc.S
My only complaint about Rural America -- not enough jobs. If you can manage it, you'll find Rural America much safer in almost all categories.

Thanks godofthunder9010 A couple of years ago I watched a documentary about a place called Almost Heaven in north-west Idaho somewhere. My wife falled in love with that place almost instantly and I wonder if that might be a good place to move if I want to come closer to the nature and on the same time get the feeling of Rural America? Or maby that place is dangerous? What do I know. The people living there was asfar I can see very nice people to be honest. Maby that is a place only for people that got enough money so they dont have to work for a living? I want to avoid every nature-catastrophic areas as far as it goes, including places with military targets and nuclear power plants on, I prefer to have them in a safe distance, any suggestions? And please if you have any information about Almost Heaven Idaho please send a post-card over here. :D

Cheers:
Doc.S

So their guns get used on each other ... and stupidly. Half of them never even learn to shoot straight if they actually own a gun. Most aren't even instructed on how to use it at all.

We heard numerous automatic fire from those rifles, but many of them went astray. So which means those guys obviously never knew how to operate automatic rifles at all. Although we really can't see what sort of firearms they were using, the report of the AK-47 can be easily distinguished immediately from the distance. But, that's not what I had in mind when during that situation, I was scared to h*ll!!!

The part about how to use a gun that they missed and the very first thing that my father taught me: The barrel never ever ever points at another person ... ever.

I don't doubt that those maniacs know how to use the weapons, they're just idiots. Inner city can do all the gun control they want as far as I'm concerned.

Back