Which one do I pick?

iGun_Nut

Hello,

I am 14 years old, and I have wanted to join the military since before I can remember. I come from a military family (primarily navy), although my father was already out of the navy when I was born. I was always interested in the military and I've always had a passion for guns. I'm not sure why, but ever since my dad taught me how to shoot when I was around 8, Ive been hooked. I want to join the military after colledge, but I'm not sure which branch I should join. When I join I want to be in a combat role, not because I want to kill people, its just that I want to fight, not sit at a desk the entire time.

I don't have any medical conditions or allergies, and I'm tall for my age with broad shoulders. I suppose I am pretty intelligent, I take all advanced level classes, with a college class also. I dont usually study and get all "As and Bs.

The two main branches I'm considering are the Navy and the Army. I dont intend to join the marines, but I will always consider it. The airforce isnt an option for me. The only reason I would join the airforce would be to become a pilot, which I'd rather do in the navy anyway.

If I joined the navy, it would be for the SEALs without a doubt. I've read a lot of SEAL books, and they are my first choice, mostly because I know the most about them.

As far as the army goes, I would want to be a ranger, and possibly become army special forces, or even Delta.

I heard that if you fail the bud/s, you get shipped to the fleet for 2 years, and I really don't want to be a sailor. Although, I am pretty confident with proper training beforehand, I could pass. I live in Virginia Beach, and there are classes you can take that are run by former SEALs that are ment to prepare you for bud/s.

The army is something I'm interested in also, and I'm pretty sure you can go directly to ranger school (I think).

Also, I know that if you go to college you are automatically an officer, but I read in a book about SEALs that the officers don't go on nearly as many missions, so can anyone confirm that?

Anyway, thankyou for reading this, and please leave a reply if you have any advice to give me.

Best of luck to you, I am in a similar position - although in Canada and four years older.

Unfortunately, you have seen far too many movies... the films glorify the sh*t out of the USSOCOM (United States Special Operations Command). Tier One units such as the Army Rangers, 1 SFOD-D (that's 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta), and the Navy SEALs require and expect the best.

And you, at... what... eighteen when you finish school? Are certainly not the best, you would go in having ZERO experience. That's bad, BUDs and the other courses will most likely destroy you. As you have no experience of what it demands.

These Special Operations units are combat units. They're like the British SAS and SBS, who themselves, I believe, require at least 2 years of combat experience. And such Tier One units operate in some of the most dangerous places on earth and often are sent out on the most dangerous of operations.

I do not know much about the US Special Operations units, but I would say with a fair of amount of certainty, and someone do correct me if I am wrong - that you need AT LEAST 2-5+ years of experience before you are eligible to be considered by the US Navy SEALs/SFOD-D/Army Rangers?

Get a bit of experience under your belt, mate. My advice would be to go and speak to a recruiter. Get all the necessary information. Don't mention the SEALs, matey will probably say, "You've been watching far too many movies." And I imagine your recruiters will take a dim view of your application to even join the Regular Force, given the fact that you've said, "I want to join the Special Forces!"

They'll think that you've been turned, like so many young men, by the telly and movies and games and stuff, into thinking that the Special Forces are cool and the cream of the crop, which, they are. But they are "Special" for a reason - they demand the best. And, sorry mate, but with ZERO combat experience and not being out of school yet... you aren't it.

You're apparently a smart kid, why not go to University? College? Then, if you still want to join up, join the Reserves.

But, you are only fourteen, focus on school for now. Perhaps enroll in some form of cadet programme, just to give you a taste of what it's like?

That's all from me - time for this slightly hungover person to trudge back to bed.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
As for your comment on SEAL operatives not going on many mission, they probably do, because of the nature of their work, though, the operations are highly classified and aren't often publicized.

Oh and one more thing, "I want to be in a combat role. Not because I want to kill people, but because I want to fight. Not have a desk job." Don't undermine the importance of those sitting at a desk, you're in a combat unit - those logistics personnel enable you to do your job. Which, is often to eliminate the enemy.

I'm not trying to under-appreciate the role of logistical personell, I'm just not interested in doing that specific job. I also know that you can go immediatley to bud/s, and if you are manage to pass that, then onto training. I tried not to come off as some kid who plays too many violent video games, but apparently, I failed. No, I dont think that combat is going to be like in some cheesy action movie, nor do I think it will be anything like video games. It's very hard to explain why I want to be a SEAL, it's all I've ever wanted to do (join the military, not necessarily the seals) I read books and research on line all about forces like these, and I know that is what I want to do.

My advise is, go to school and get an education, then in a few years you might have a clearer picture of what you want to do.

You're 14. Concentrate on school and maturing not which High Speed Low Drag unit you think you're going to dazzle.

Focus on the pretty young girl you are to scared to talk to. But be safe,

Listen to your adult confidants, listen to the advice from the Armed Service members here in this thread.

Hit your books and stay away from distractions, those parties and those trendy temtptions.

You want to join the armed forces, research as much as you can, don't tell your freinds because your friends won't be out there serving wtih you despite what they say.

GRADUATE, then think about what if you are going to pursue this path, let your friends move away , and make you choice on your own.

Until then enjoy being a kid, because right now that's part of what that time in your life is for.

Study, research your options for furthering education, study for the entry test, take them if you are not sure you want to go to college or not. Research the armed forces some more.

Until that time grows closer, just be a kid, stay out of trouble and cross that bridge as you get there.

Best of luck to your endeavors. From one "Lost Generation" Youth to another.;-)

At 14 you are still very young and in a few more years you might be looking at some thing totally different. All I can say is enjoy your self while you are young and it is really up to you to make the choice of what you do rather than blame what you might see as bad advice on the internet.

Being only a few years older than you, I would suggest completing school.
I'm not sure about America, but if you want to be an Officer in Australia you must have passes in four grade tweleve subjects to be viable for entry. It is always good, however, to show that you have completed your schooling no matter the job.
Another point I would like to rise is that you have no former experience and are simply just jumping into mostly SF units such as Rangers and SEALS. Perhaps it would be beneficial to try another job and work your way up to SF level. That way you have more experience. Being thrust into an extremley hardcore enviornment at such a young age could be physically and mentally destroying. Therefore I suggest working your way up the ladder to SF. By the time you get there, you'll have a good understanding of what it is like to be a soldier, how mentaly and physcially taxing it is to be in such a job, and you will have a better understanding of yourself as a person.
Cheers and goodluck,
TangoWhiskey.

In the UK you can't go straight into SAS or SBS as you need to have some years in a fighting force before hand. No one never knows how they will face going into action or having to kill some one and I have known some chaps I thought as tough cookies crack under pressure yet the quieter ones sail through.

Pardon me!

But why do you answer this young man when you do not have SF experience. Some of you have not even been soldiers. There are definite incorrect information in some of your posts.

Do not believe, assume or guess. know!

Just my opinion.

Pardon me!

But why do you answer this young man when you do not have SF experience. Some of you have not even been soldiers. There are definite incorrect information in some of your posts.

Do not believe, assume or guess. know!

Just my opinion.

I'd be interested to know what you consider incorrect information in some of the posts.

As example enlistment in SEAL´s
You can enlist as a civilian in SEAL

Combat experience or military background is not a criterion for admission in most countries SF. I am sorry to say, but hawky's post is pure guesswork.

Combat experience or military background is not a criterion for admission in most countries SF. I am sorry to say, but hawky's post is pure guesswork.

Maybe that is the problem.
Some countries might not have the right people, in their Special Forces.
They are special for a reason.

But Hawky is correct about Delta and Rangers, and British SF units. :)

Anyway, as you were.

Maybe that is the problem.
Some countries might not have the right people, in their Special Forces.
They are special for a reason.
What do you mean
Having extensive experience as a combat soldier is not always an advantage if you want to go SF.

Back