Which one do I pick?

I'm not disagreeing with you in that respect.
However, the main SF that I know of, take from within the services.
Even the RAF!.
And why wouldn't they.
RAF SF???

Very valid points.

British SF units will only look at those with previous military experience and they aren't in anyway disadvantaged, are they? One might say they are some of the truly elite units in the world.

No one is denying Froggy's knowledge. To do so would be foolish and disrespectful.

However, there are a number of other members on this forum with many years of first hand experience and knowledge.
How much experience do you have after 18 months?

As 42 said, previous military experience can be a drawback.

Yes, there are people here with SF background and also many with long service and experience outside of SF. I have been in the service for most of my life and have a lot of experience in my field. But ask me about artillery or tanks, and I know very little. So unless you have been SBS I will make the claim that you only know the tip of the iceberg.

The problem in this case is in my eyes that two people without military background speak out about something they have no experience or correct knowledge of.

It might be confusing when it comes to the Seals; they accept civilians, but not to be a member of the Seal Team 6.

Do the SAS and the SBS accept people from all branches to apply and test to be a member?
I thought a service man was forced to serve longer than 18 months before he could be considered as an Operative in these two forces
Yes they do. You must serve 18 months before you can apply for selection.You are not an Operative after 18 months. After having passed training you are on probation for one year or longer.

Do the SAS and the SBS accept people from all branches to apply and test to be a member?
I thought a service man was forced to serve longer than 18 months before he could be considered as an Operative in these two forces

You must do a minimum of 18 months. As a rule of thumb, you would normally serve a lot more than 18 months (at least 2 years) before even being considered.

SBS used to only recruit from within the Royal Marines or the Royal Navy, but these days you be from any of the services. The SAS recruit from any of the services.

RAF SF???

I believe he meant you could join any of the SF units if you've served in the RAF for example.

How much experience do you have after 18 months?

As 42 said, previous military experience can be a drawback.

Yes, there are people here with SF background and also many with long service and experience outside of SF. I have been in the service for most of my life and have a lot of experience in my field. But ask me about artillery or tanks, and I know very little. So unless you have been SBS I will make the claim that you only know the tip of the iceberg.

The problem in this case is in my eyes that two people without military background speak out about something they have no experience or correct knowledge of.

You're right, after 18 months you barely know anything other than your basic training. You only have to look at the ages of those within SF to see it takes more than 18 months service.

I served 22 years, which is a few years off being half of my entire life so I like to think I do know some things.

Last edited:
Back