Which one do I pick?

No he has not.
SAS and SBS requires a minimum of 18 months of service.

Indeed.

He said they need previous experience, which for British SF, Delta and Rangers is correct.

I disregarded the numbers stated as they were irrelevant.

I believe what 42 is getting at is that I was incorrect. And I was incorrect, I didn't account for UKSF (R), United Kingdom Special Forces Reserve, do not require any military experience, as I believe a civvie can join their ranks. I do not know whether the United States Special Operations Command, i.e: Delta Force, SEALs, US Army Rangers, etc have any "Reserve" units. Again, I could be wrong - feel free to correct me.

Anyway, to the Original Poster: Now that you've heard the views of the community and had some time to think over what we've said. Have you had any more thoughts on your Special Forces ambitions?

I believe what 42 is getting at is that I was incorrect. And I was incorrect, I didn't account for UKSF (R), United Kingdom Special Forces Reserve, do not require any military experience, as I believe a civvie can join their ranks. I do not know whether the United States Special Operations Command, i.e: Delta Force, SEALs, US Army Rangers, etc have any "Reserve" units. Again, I could be wrong - feel free to correct me.

Male civilians aged between 18 and 32 can join a UKSF(R) unit. (Or up to the age of 34 if you have military experience).

If my memory serves me correctly, US Army Special Operations Forces (ARSOF) units do have a civilian element.

Why would that be so.
Because you have learned a lot of bad habits which is not desirable in an SF environment. It is easier to mold raw material. Military skills can be learned - it is the appropriate brain they look for.

Anyway, to the Original Poster: Now that you've heard the views of the community and had some time to think over what we've said. Have you had any more thoughts on your Special Forces ambitions?
Try to read your post again. You admit several times that you are not sure that what you say is correct. What Froggy is trying to say is that none of you have the knowledge needed to guide this young man with regard to SF. Should we not let those who know with 100% certainty answer. What the rest of us think we know is insignificant. Fact above all.

I'm not disagreeing with you in that respect.
However, the main SF that I know of, take from within the services.
Even the RAF!.
And why wouldn't they.

Because you have learned a lot of bad habits which is not desirable in an SF environment. It is easier to mold raw material. Military skills can be learned - it is the appropriate brain they look for.

Very valid points.

British SF units will only look at those with previous military experience and they aren't in anyway disadvantaged, are they? One might say they are some of the truly elite units in the world.

What Froggy is trying to say is that none of you have the knowledge needed to guide this young man with regard to SF. Should we not let those who know with 100% certainty answer. What the rest of us think we know is insignificant. Fact above all.

No one is denying Froggy's knowledge. To do so would be foolish and disrespectful.

However, there are a number of other members on this forum with many years of first hand experience and knowledge.

um4fcd0dc8.jpg

It might be confusing when it comes to the Seals; they accept civilians, but not to be a member of the Seal Team 6.

Do the SAS and the SBS accept people from all branches to apply and test to be a member?
I thought a service man was forced to serve longer than 18 months before he could be considered as an Operative in these two forces

Back