one night at the hospital with the kid...

Mark Conley

If you have dependants in the military you know the drill, right? Its three in the morning, the kid hurts and now, its go to the civilian emergency room because there isn’t one on the Air Force base anymore.

Well that was the drill for me one morning. i had barely gotten home from one of those darling midnight at the base hazardous waste spills when the wife announced the girl was sick, and we needed to go to the hospital. So we did. It was 3 in the morning, id been dressed in my Battle Dress Utility (BDU) all day, and I needed a cigarette. So I went out and sat on the hood of my car...minus the hat.

You know the hat. AKA cover or topper. That piece of cloth that sets on your head to keep it from being misplaced. As luck would have it, a doctor was in his car. He noticed me, and came ripping up in his hunk of junk to where I was at. Putting on his most official voice, he engaged me in convesation, for the benefit of the two passengers in the car with him.

After about 15 hours at the base, and 3 hours in the emergency room i wasnt all that conversational. Ill relate the whole conversation as it occurred...

Sergeant, where’s you're hat?

It’s in my pocket sir.

Why isn’t it on your head?

Because my head wont fit in my pocket sir.

The two passengers in the car looked at me in amazement...and then started laughing their heads off. This was a classic basic trainee to drill instructor answer... And I had just delivered it to one of the heads of the aerospace medicine clinic at my base. And I had just got away with it.

Needless to say...the look on the doctor’s face as his wife and friend laughed at him was precious. The rest I got the next day in commanders stand-up wasn’t.

The moral of this story? Cigarettes are bad for you. Don’t Start. :pirate:

Last edited:
But I bet you felt good when you said it, always thinking that later "this will hurt, just a bit.."

Back