One of the most under-rated military movies... - Page 2

--

June 8th, 2011  
GHR

In my opinion producers or script writers are too lazy to do any research so their stories are severely lacking when it comes to reality. It is always easier to make up things for dramatic effect than to face the reality that can be less dramatic. But I like to watch war movies. Seen from a professional soldier's view then most movies are hilarious. The Rambo series is an excellent example of a producer's stupidity and ignorance. Ask any combat veteran.
June 11th, 2011  
84RFK

I enjoyed Heartbreak Ridge for it's dark sense of humour, at least that's my approach to liking the movie.

The Rambo series however was hampered by a total lack of humoristic sense...
June 15th, 2011  
fredleander

I like war movies which have a real background. Several such were made after the war in Norway. Just to mention Shetlands-gjengen. This is about the Norwegian unit working for the SOE out of Shetland, operating a ferry service, so to speak, to occupied Norway. The person standing out is, of course, Shetland-Larsen himself - Leif Larsen - the highest decorated allied naval officer during WW2.

Another is: Tungtvanns-aksjonen, the operation to destroy the heavy water the Germans were producing in Norway for a future nuclear bomb. Later also in a Hollywood-version with Kirk Douglas - disgusting..! Nothing wrong with Kirk Douglas, though....

The original even had some of the original participants acting as themselves.

Finally, Ni Liv - Nine lives, about the Norwegain resistance fighter Jan Baalsrud and his escape to Sweden when he had to ampute hos own toes due to frost-damage.
--
June 16th, 2011  
84RFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredleander
I like war movies which have a real background. Several such were made after the war in Norway. Just to mention Shetlands-gjengen. This is about the Norwegian unit working for the SOE out of Shetland, operating a ferry service, so to speak, to occupied Norway. The person standing out is, of course, Shetland-Larsen himself - Leif Larsen - the highest decorated allied naval officer during WW2.

Another is: Tungtvanns-aksjonen, the operation to destroy the heavy water the Germans were producing in Norway for a future nuclear bomb. Later also in a Hollywood-version with Kirk Douglas - disgusting..! Nothing wrong with Kirk Douglas, though....

The original even had some of the original participants acting as themselves.

Finally, Ni Liv - Nine lives, about the Norwegain resistance fighter Jan Baalsrud and his escape to Sweden when he had to ampute hos own toes due to frost-damage.
Sekondl°itnanten.
June 16th, 2011  
fredleander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
Sekondl°itnanten.
Yes, that's a good one....
July 19th, 2011  
Yossarian

I saw it when I was young, even then thought it was okay,

Best parts are the Clint Eastwoodisms ha

But for those who say the movie was not realistic,

A many of realistic war films are considered documentaries.

Realism just doesn't do it at the box office, people nowa days seem to have ever shorter attention spans,

It seems a lot of the mainstream audience wants either stoner movies or action films that present the viewer with a siezure of explsions and nude scenes.

If I remeber well, what is considered PG 13 today was an"not until your older" movie 15 years ago.
October 17th, 2011  
namvet

Eastwood never did portray a soldier very well. but the flick did have a lot a humor in it.