One Miner is alive Only

phoenix80

Banned
well, I have to edit the piece

only one has made it out alive as CNN just announced

Last edited:
Very sad. Here's my string of SITREP emails (redacted for OPSEC and PERSEC) -- there's a break from 0605 yesterday to 0022 this morning only because I'm working nights, and was off from 0700 to 1900.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chen, Andrew (HHS/OS) On Behalf Of Secretarys Operations Center
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:37 AM
Subject: RE: Update on WV Mine Explosion

In a stunning development, all three networks reported just before 0300 that there had been an error, and that only one of the remaining 12 miners had survived, which was confirmed at a news conference shortly after 0300. Out of 13 miners total, 12 are confirmed dead and one is in critical condition at a local hospital. No requests for federal ESF-8 assistance have been received; no further reporting unless conditions warrant.

Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:22 AM
Subject: RE: Update on WV Mine Explosion

As of 0015, all three major news networks (CNN, MSNBC and FOX News) are reporting that 12 of the 13 trapped miners have been found alive; one has been confirmed dead. Awaiting news conference for further details.

Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:05 AM
Subject: Update on WV Mine Explosion

As of 0600, CNN is reporting that rescuers have yet to reach the trapped miners. A drill is expected to reach shortly where the miners are expected to be, and a camera-equipped probe will be sent to take air samples as well as search for the miners. No requests for federal ESF-8 support have been made to the SOC. Updates will follow as the situation warrants.

did watch the news conference. this guy said that we dont know who got the word out that the miners were alive and then says that the rescue team got the word out by an audible loudspeaker...kinda contradicting no?

I think he meant that the rescue team reported that they had found the miners over the loudspeaker in the command center, but that the command team never officially released a confirmation to the public while they tried to get more details/information.

I don't understand why they changed the news or they didnt disclose the truth in the first place to the families!?

Something about trying to get the exact number of dead vs. alive. Boneheaded move -- they should've immediately told the families that something was up. OTOH, it's possible that they weren't quite 100% aware that "good news" was spreading like wildfire...

C/2Lt Henderson said:
did watch the news conference. this guy said that we dont know who got the word out that the miners were alive and then says that the rescue team got the word out by an audible loudspeaker...kinda contradicting no?

CNN showed the guy. He was one of the locals working in the governor's office or something

Back