Omg!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JulesLee said:
I have like 3 ribbons.. I should have like 8 by now..
No, you SHOULD have the number of medals you deserve. If that happens to be 3, then fine. There is no written regulation that says you HAVE to get a medal. If there was, then they wouldn't be so special.

yeah. I guess its integrity and self pride. If i know im doing good , I dont need recognition to do better because I will do it anyways and I will give excellence in all I do.

I say...just wait. Awards aren't everything, but they flow like booze in the Bahamas eventually. Just wait till you're a first-class or a Chief...you won't want anymore because they're so damn annoying to put on the uniform.

Oh, and Fox, threats of "busting" are no good here...we're not on duty, and if you carry through with the threat, discussion dies- no one wants to talk if they'll get in trouble for what they say.

So let's just keep it civil without outside repercussions, alright? Let the mods and admins handle discipline in forum matters.

You American Cadets with all those ribbons go about looking like bloody war heroes. In Australian cadets they don't get anything like that.

Originally Posted by Navy Boy
I still didn't get any medals at the bankwit and this is like my 2nd year in NJROTC and still no medals WTF!? I work I polish shoes for other cadets.
And cadets that screw around get medals WTF!? Now I can understand that the senors get a medal for serving 4 years in the program,but the cadets that screw around!?

What the hell?

You American Cadets with all those ribbons go about looking like bloody war heroes. In Australian cadets they don't get anything like that.

Thats right. Back when I was a cadet I did 6 years and got no medal of any sort. Didn't expect one either... because medals are reserved for soldiers... not cadets. The only award I got was the Adventure training award, and you had to earn it, not get it through time served.

Interesting...I didn't know that anything about cadets in Australia. But that's interesting. I got 7 medals. I get those medals what I've earned.

RAInf said:
Damn I never knew that.:???:

RAInf said:

I, for one, would prefer our organizations to be like that. When I first joined I was like yay ribbson; now I hate those that are given for doing my job, which, imho, is any medal/ribbon out there.

well navy dont feel to bad i just got back from my military ball and im the unarmed NCO and i DIDNT even get a drill team ribbon

most likely grades and the fact i could only go to 1 comp becuz my sgt kept cancleing the ones i could go to and when i couldnt go we actualy went to the comp but i was at practice all year and my friend who was on color gaurd and also only went to 1 comp and didnt do the football games and all that got her color gaurd ribbon and its freaking stupid how that works

Sad to see how some of you completely disregarded Doody's great post and still complain about little chest candy that doesn't mean anything. You kids have a very long road ahead of you, hopefully your attitudes will change when you're older, more mature and have less of a sense of entitlement.

armlesscadet said:
most likely grades and the fact i could only go to 1 comp becuz my sgt kept cancleing the ones i could go to and when i couldnt go we actualy went to the comp but i was at practice all year and my friend who was on color gaurd and also only went to 1 comp and didnt do the football games and all that got her color gaurd ribbon and its freaking stupid how that works
I see that is what is propably going to happen to me next year,but maybe I can ask my band teacher to go with the NJROTC unite one football game and with the band on the next football game.

I STILL don't see why you're so blind and stupid to outright disregard other posts and flat out ADMIT that you're going to try and do extras for medals.

Doody said:
I hope I do not ruffle anyone's feathers with my opinions

I do see whining about not getting any candy for your uniform to be becoming of a good soldier. In my opinion, you do your job. If you choose to go above and beyond, that's up to you. But to do hard work with the expectation of getting an award is rather distaseful. I would advise you to read the recent book detailing the lives of soldiers who earned the Medal of Honor. A common characteristic shared by all of them is a sense that they did nothing that anyone esle had done. One guy in the Korean War thought he was getting court martialed when he was called into see some officers after he was no longer a POW.

As for other people getting awards that don't deserve it, welcome to life and the military. How many times have you witnessed someone getting an award that did not deserve it? I worked my butt off on setting up the 55th Anniversery of the 101st dropping into Normandy dinning out for 30 days. A freind of mine came in the night before and wrote the names of VIPs on little name cards for the tables. He gets an AAM and I got jack. That senario is repeated time and time again in the military. As I said, welcome to life.

Lastly, No offense to JROTC, but I firmly believe that they give out too many awards. Last year I was involved with a veterans day parade. One of the high school ROTC groups were there. The leader of them had more awards than Patton. I have never seen so many awards hanging off that guys uniforms. Every soldier standing in our formation shook their heads.
For me, Doody says it all.
Stop your whining and grow up!
:evil:

Or, to put it another way:

Medals are AWARDS not REWARDS.

An Award is something that you'll get as recognition for hard work and dedication. It's something that's not there as motivation or something you should be purposely sucking up for. It is something you CAN be given, not something you deserve. Example: Medals

A Reward is something you get for doing your job properly, and like you were supposed to. Example: Free Time for passing your bunk inspection.

The two are different. If medals come down to being a Reward when they should be an Award, then the cadet program is going down with it.

Last year it was a main goal of mine to get ribbons, this year, i have turned down 3 awards, because it isnt worth it. Its just another thing to put on my uniform, another thing to possibly get marked off for on inspection. I just do what im told, or get lower ranking men to do it. Depends on the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back