Olympics

Topmaul

My opinion,

All Team sports should be cut from the Olympics it should be only single person events. There are so many world wide team sporting events but little for the individual athlete. Reserving the Olympics to single preson events would be great.

What do you guys think?

My opinion,

All Team sports should be cut from the Olympics it should be only single person events. There are so many world wide team sporting events but little for the individual athlete. Reserving the Olympics to single preson events would be great.

What do you guys think?

Well it has some merit but given the number of complete pointless sports that are included now (synchronised diving, that crap where they run around with a skipping rope, Watching paint dry aka soccer etc.) if they took the team sports out the whole Olympics would be over in a weekend.

Woah woah woah. I'll give synchronized diving and the rope thing to you, but soccer is fascinating to watch... If you've ever been to an Olympic sized pitch, you'd realize how far and how fast these men and women have to run and pass with accuracy. It's one of the hardest sports to play.

Yeah and chess is a fascinating game of strategy and cunning but it is still a boring spectator sport.

I am sorry but 90 minutes of guys kicking a ball to each other only punctuated by players taking a dive and writhing in pain every time the opposition get within 30 feet of them only to be settled by a penalty shoot out is not fun to watch unless you are in a vegetative state.

Mine too! And penalty shootouts rarely occur in high level soccer... I agree, diving is getting worse and worse these days, but it's still a good sport to watch if you know and truly appreciate the athleticism of the event.

MontyB is so on my sh*t list.
And you complain about other people being pissy...
Mine too! And penalty shootouts rarely occur in high level soccer... I agree, diving is getting worse and worse these days, but it's still a good sport to watch if you know and truly appreciate the athleticism of the event.
I see what you mean, but I think the drama is the reason that soccer hasn't caught on here in the States.

Football player gets hit hard, doesnt complain, scores a touchdown and does a chest bump.

Soccer player gets bumped, looks at the official and falls like he's been shot while writhing around in pain, scores a goal and runs around screaming like a little girl.

And they wonder why American men can't get into watching it...
I disagree, there should be team sports. Water Polo, for example. A great and demanding team sport. Same with Basketball. And they're competitive.

Though synchronized diving and the like are pretty stupid. In general, I don't care for diving, gymnastics, or even olympic boxing. The judges are so frequently biased that the guy who was best never gets the gold. It's usually the host nation, or whoever is supposed to win. I'd say get rid of judged sports before getting rid of team sports.

Football player gets hit hard, doesnt complain, scores a touchdown and does a chest bump.

Soccer player gets bumped, looks at the official and falls like he's been shot while writhing around in pain, scores a goal and runs around screaming like a little girl.
Football players also play a different game. I guarantee they couldn't play soccer. Oh, and they also have about 20 pounds of pads on. It's a lot harder to score a goal in soccer than it is to score a touchdown in football. Now I agree SOME players are wimps. Case and point, Christiano Ronaldo. BUT for the most part, soccer players accept that soccer is a physical sport, and getting more and more so.
The Other Guy said:
And they wonder why American men can't get into watching it...
Like I said, if more American men had the patience to watch it and knowledge of what was going on, they'd probably be more impressed with it.

First known picture of Michael Phelps.

phelpsjoke.jpg

Yeah and chess is a fascinating game of strategy and cunning but it is still a boring spectator sport.

I am sorry but 90 minutes of guys kicking a ball to each other only punctuated by players taking a dive and writhing in pain every time the opposition get within 30 feet of them only to be settled by a penalty shoot out is not fun to watch unless you are in a vegetative state.

Not a clue, MonyB, not a clue. But we have to excuse you because you don't live in a country which has invented and exported games which are played and enjoyed with passion all over the world. Come back with another post when you can gainsay that!:p

Soccer, Cricket, Rugby. Why - Wm Bray is recorded as playing baseball in England in 1755! Beat that.

Sophistication mate - Soccer is an acquired taste for the connoisseur; it is usually played without compulsory eye-gouging and ear-eating and a great stamping of heads. Monty - Soccer is the beautiful game; but of course, you have never been able to observe it in all its glory. Think 'Land of hope and Glory' with a ball.:p

I guess that is true enough although I find it a little sad that the nation that "invented" such sports has reached such it level of mediocrity that it is not longer the world leader in any of them.

Interestingly enough Rugby was created when Soccer players got so bored with the game that they picked up the ball and ran with it and really nothing has changed.

Well, we always feel sorry for the little guys . If we happen to be in the mood we give them a damn good thrashing just to let them know we are still watching. But we do have a world cup or two, and our Premier League is the best in the world at the acknowledged best game in the world. Having invented and developed the games, it wouldn't be wise to win everything; ever the diplomats, that's us.

As for picking up the ball and running with it, that wasn't a soccer player, that was a high falluting schoolboy.

I like rugby, went to a rugby school, and as the Americans say - it gives our little guys a chance to play.

As for mediocrity - everyone knows that we can beat anyone on our day.

C'mon now , get that imagination going - invent a great game. Then you'll be able to tweak my tail effectively.:p

No. mah-jong's already taken. Just joking you know. Anyway - I take it all back, I like all those sports, just like football a lot, a lot, a lot. And cricket. And I rate New Zealand. Sad ain't it.

And i know I shouldn't start a sentence with 'And'. I do it on purpose because I can.

Last edited:
Look I am not going to get into a national debate on the issue I am happy with the reality that soccer is a great game for effeminate males, in terms of the American point of view well I am not sure they should have a say in anything given that their choice of sport involves the top man in the team straddling a fat guy while groping for balls between his legs.

:)

I say no team sprots in the olympics only individual wins and losses. Team sports are not what the Olympics should be about it should be the finding the best person at what ever sport not the best group.

I say no team sprots in the olympics only individual wins and losses. Team sports are not what the Olympics should be about it should be the finding the best person at what ever sport not the best group.

It could be argued that the Olympics are about finding the best at each event not necessarily the best individual, however to support your argument there were no team events at the ancient Olympics.

Monty,
There are plenty of places for teams, why not a special place for the finest athlete not the finest group average.

Of course it has more to do with TV viewership than anything else.

Look I am not going to get into a national debate on the issue I am happy with the reality that soccer is a great game for effeminate males, in terms of the American point of view well I am not sure they should have a say in anything given that their choice of sport involves the top man in the team straddling a fat guy while groping for balls between his legs.

:)

"Rugby football is a game I can't claim absolutely to understand in all its niceties, if you know what I mean. I can follow the broad, general principles, of course. I mean to say, I know the main scheme is to work the ball down the field somehow and deposit it over the line at the other end, and that, in order to squelch this programme, each side is allowed to put in a certain amount of assault and battery and do things to its fellow-man which, if done elsewhere, would result in 14 days without the option, coupled with some strong remarks from the bench."

P.G. Wodehouse.

Back