Olympic ranking vs Military powers

It is best known the Aussies are the best sporters in the world. They have everything (even desert) to be on top in sports.

Locke said:
lets face it, the americans should do well in any sporting competition because they have the money and the facilities to train anyone to an amazingly high standard. its helps that they have such a massive populations.
ditto china
ditto russia has the population, im not sure what the economic status is like
japan has the money, and the population
And India remains as the unwitting victim of this generalization. They don't focus heavily on the Olymics, but logic says they should be better than they are. I expect that'll change in the future. It happened to China.

When Indian government puts focus on national glorry in sports, they will be in top 5 of Sports Nation in some 30 years, maybe 50 years, being good in all sports like in Olympic Games, you need a lot of time to train, starting from kids, but India will be there. We should not be short-sighted, we must look a bit forward to judge a nation.

One of the funny things about the Olympics, Americans don't care. I was watching the news, if showed people celebrating because they had beaten the Americans in the World Cup, the American's response was "We have a team in the World Cup?" China, consolidating those sports that nobody reall cares about, Ping Pong, Air Pistols, Air Rifles, who knew those were sports?

Damien435, are you really serious when you are typing in those words? :twisted:

Paralympics medal table

Medals: Overall Last updated Sat Sep 25 23:04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1. China 45 41 24 110<
2. Great Britain 28 21 22 71<
3. Australia 20 27 24 71<
4. United States 19 19 30 68<
5. Ukraine 19 9 14 42<
6. Canada 18 15 17 50<
7. France 16 18 22 56<
8. Germany 15 21 29 65<
9. Spain 14 15 18 47<
10. Czech Republic 12 7 6 25<

Complete Table:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/disability_sport/medal_table/default.stm

FlyingFrog said:

Pretty much, especially when it is on the other side of the world. The time delay sucks.

And we just don't care. And look at the "big" sports, the Track and Field, which is all that should be included, we dominate in the sprinting, we would have two more Golds if it were not for 2 bad handoffs. From my observations Americans are much more interested in the Winter Olympics, the "Miracle" team helped alot with that, and with the exception of Curling all the sports of the Winter Olympics actually require one to be in peak physical condition.

Damien435 said:
FlyingFrog said:

Pretty much, especially when it is on the other side of the world. The time delay sucks.

And we just don't care. And look at the "big" sports, the Track and Field, which is all that should be included, we dominate in the sprinting, we would have two more Golds if it were not for 2 bad handoffs. From my observations Americans are much more interested in the Winter Olympics, the "Miracle" team helped alot with that, and with the exception of Curling all the sports of the Winter Olympics actually require one to be in peak physical condition.

See, you only like sports in which you are good in :lol:

And you say "WE" don't care, maybe it is only "YOU" who don't care, while in fact a lot of other Americans care a lot about the Olympic Games.

"Ping Pong", you have no clue what PingPong is, it is very popular in many many countries, not only China, but also Japan, Korea, Holland, Sweden, Germany, etc etc.

NEVER say something is not important only because you don't like it :D

FlyingFrog said:
See, you only like sports in which you are good in :lol:

And you say "WE" don't care, maybe it is only "YOU" who don't care, while in fact a lot of other Americans care a lot about the Olympic Games.

"Ping Pong", you have no clue what PingPong is, it is very popular in many many countries, not only China, but also Japan, Korea, Holland, Sweden, Germany, etc etc.

NEVER say something is not important only because you don't like it :D

Did I say I didn't like Ping Pong? No.

Did I say I like Track and Field? No.

When I say "We" I am referring to everyone that lives near me or that I have talked to. And look at how we did in Basketball, that is a great example of us not caring.

The hipocricy in your statement is quite evident. "Never say something is unimportant becuase you don't like it." I suppose you think Ping Pong is important because it is a Gold for China every year.

The hipocricy in your statement is quite evident. "Never say something is unimportant becuase you don't like it." I suppose you think Ping Pong is important because it is a Gold for China every year.

lol, really lol

I think PingPong is important cuz I play pingpong a lot, and unluckily although I am good at pingpong, but I just can't win from my Dutch friend, he is simply better than I am in PP.

Btw, China lost PP to Korea in man's single final in this Olympic, so not every year we can win all the Golds. Other countries are getting much better too every year.

FlyingFrog said:

lol, really lol

I think PingPong is important cuz I play pingpong a lot, and unluckily although I am good at pingpong, but I just can't win from my Dutch friend, he is simply better than I am in PP.

Btw, China lost PP to Korea in man's single final in this Olympic, so not every year we can win all the Golds. Other countries are getting much better too every year.

I play Ping Pong too, but I still don't think it should be an Olympic Sport, and I shoot Air Rifles, that should not be an Olympic sport either. I like to play Ping Pong but I just don't think it is one of the things that the Olympics represents, Ping Pong is a lot more mental than Physical, I never see the guy who can hit the ball so hard that it dents the ball win, I see the guy who can spin the ball so it does a 90 degree turn win.

I think China's Olympic medal gain this time was amazing , I heard they made ppl from all age groups in China to compulsarily participate in atleast one sport of their interest so that the hidden talent could come out, in India sports are always neglected apart from cricket.I think in Beijing Olympics China will most prolly take over USA , but i think americans will train themselves harder cos i think it must have been a bit alarming seeing China get that many medals, so nothing can be said really.

Back