Olympic ranking vs Military powers

godofthunder9010 said:
Yes, but China is starting to be strong in areas that they were not previously. For instance, who had ever heard of there being firstclass Chinese sprinters? But this time around, they won 110 meter hurdles and on top of that, tied the world record. Pretty impressive.

Once China further increases the diversity of the medals it wins, they'll prolly catch up to Russia.

lol, nice sig.

Yes, where as if we started to try in those sports nobody cares about, like Ping Pong or Air Pistols (wtf?) or Air Rifle we would have a lot more medals, if you get rid of sports like those that have no place in the olympics and suddenly China is 6 or 7 on the list.

But we already beat Russia, we have 32 Gold, Russia only 27. ONLY Gold counts, silver and bronze are all LOSERS.

Don't be too confident about USA, China will overtake USA very soon, believe me, in Olympics.

Oh I saw that Willim Wang, that is pretty good :lol:

Yes, where as if we started to try in those sports nobody cares about, like Ping Pong or Air Pistols (wtf?) or Air Rifle we would have a lot more medals, if you get rid of sports like those that have no place in the olympics and suddenly China is 6 or 7 on the list.

You are talking too confident about you can win PingPong, it is a very hardly game which needs a lot of training and technics. Since I believe you don't know this game, therefore you think it is easy to win Gold, if you try to play, then you will know how hard it is. It is also much much enjoyable than the stupid 100 meter running where you don't need much technic you simply need good legs which the REMOVED are good in :D
I alway call those "sports" stupid running :D

Mod edit: Racist comments will at no time be tolerated on this site. On another note, once you earn a place on an Olympic team, let alone a medal, perhaps you will be able to call those who have earned that "losers."

FlyingFrog said:
But we already beat Russia, we have 32 Gold, Russia only 27. ONLY Gold counts, silver and bronze are all LOSERS.
Most would disagree with this statement. I think there is some kind of "official" system that weighs the count of medals based on what kind they are.

Oh I saw that Willim Wang, that is pretty good :lol:
I was certainly impressed.

You are talking too confident about you can win PingPong, it is a very hardly game which needs a lot of training and technics. Since I believe you don't know this game, therefore you think it is easy to win Gold, if you try to play, then you will know how hard it is.
Know the game and have played against some very good people. To say that it's "easy" is laughable, especially if you've ever actually seen a match on the olympic level. Those people do freaky spins on the ball ... China has owned table tennis for ages.

It is also much much enjoyable than the stupid 100 meter running where you don't need much technic you simply need good legs which the Black People are good in. I alway call those "sports" stupid running :D
If Black People are somehow "genetically superior" in such events, so what? It hasn't kept the Russians from giving them a run for their money every time. Why shouldn't "fastest sprinter in the world" be important? If you think that there is no technique, then you are doing the same thing that others did with ping-pong. Speaking without knowning the facts.

For the USA to remain dominant in the Olympics, we too are going to have to diversify into events that we haven't done well in before. Judo and Tae Quon Do are some excellent examples. We also need to get ourselves into these sports or we're going to get left behind.

I gotta agree with Damien on one thing. If trap shooting is getting the ax, why not air rifle and air pistol? I personally think that the IOC shouldn't remove any of them.

The racial discussion ends here. Any further comments of this nature will result in immediate action.

FlyingFrog said:

No, Gold's are not the only one's that matter, I bet it if was the opposite way in the medal count you would be saying the exact opposite.

What do you think the numbers next to the medal count meant? PLACING.

FlyingFrog said:
You are talking too confident about you can win PingPong, it is a very hardly game which needs a lot of training and technics. Since I believe you don't know this game, therefore you think it is easy to win Gold, if you try to play, then you will know how hard it is. It is also much much enjoyable than the stupid 100 meter running where you don't need much technic you simply need good legs which the REMOVED are good in :D
I alway call those "sports" stupid running :D

I never said it was easy, just that the Olympics celebrate physical accomplishments, things like Archery, Air Pistols, Ping Pong, Air Rifles, Curling, are not physical accomplishments, they do not belong in the Olympics, Rugby is very Physical, and Football, those two should replace those sports, or at least one of them, presonally I would rather see Football in but it is not played very much outside the US, where as if Rugby was played in the US it would be eligible for the olympics, since that would fulfill the requirements, something about being played on 4 continents and 70 nations for men, North America would make it 4 continents, I think.

Damien435 said:
I never said it was easy, just that the Olympics celebrate physical accomplishments, things like Archery, Air Pistols, Ping Pong, Air Rifles, Curling, are not physical accomplishments, they do not belong in the Olympics, Rugby is very Physical, and Football, those two should replace those sports, or at least one of them, presonally I would rather see Football in but it is not played very much outside the US, where as if Rugby was played in the US it would be eligible for the olympics, since that would fulfill the requirements, something about being played on 4 continents and 70 nations for men, North America would make it 4 continents, I think.

Rugby is played by canada in north america so it would be eligible in that way.
Football - soccer or american football?

I was suprised to see our women take the gold in soccer seeing how America pretty much ignores it.

Big_Z said:
I was suprised to see our women take the gold in soccer seeing how America pretty much ignores it.

Surprised!?!?

The "Fab five" (not Queer Eye) have 2 World Cup wins and 2 Olympic Gold medals under their belts, I was surprised when they didn't win the World Cup, and of course everyone in the US stopped watching once that happened.

Why doesn't America hvae a baseball team in the Olympics aswell they'd pretty much pwn at that sport as well

They prolly don't let the pros play in that sport yet. Might be limited to just college players. Anyone know for sure?

Looks like Cuba won that. Yeah, MLB gets a lot of their best players from the Carribean for some reason.

Aaron said:
Why doesn't America hvae a baseball team in the Olympics aswell they'd pretty much pwn at that sport as well

Because it is baseball season and the playoffs are getting close, every win counts, another case of bad timing for America, and Baseball is slated to be removed from the Olympics anyways.

Its easyer for a bigger country with more people. Theres allways one to chose from and that person is probebly already a world compeeter, while a smaller country have a fewer amout of people to send and these might not be the elite. Sweden had a terrible OS this year :(

AlexKall said:
Its easyer for a bigger country with more people. Theres allways one to chose from and that person is probebly already a world compeeter, while a smaller country have a fewer amout of people to send and these might not be the elite. Sweden had a terrible OS this year :(
Okay, somebody round up India's olympic team and smack every one of them except whoever won that single silver medal. For shame, having such an enormous population and not winning a huge pile of medals!!

:lol: :firedevi: :lol: :firedevi: :lol:

Does it make you feel better, oh thou Sweden, having beaten out a country of over 1 billion this Olympics?

So, in the end, maybe numbers aren't everyting. :shock:

:eek:fftopic:

Feel free to start a new thread in the sports forum, and please continue on-topic here.

[Aaron=] K yeah that explains it and that the fact that i think we spend more money on sports than military in aus[/quote]

Actully, the DoD gets more money than the AIS in the Budget, we just don't have much in the budget to give out.

My Goddie, China again is so powerfull in Paralympic Games:

Paralympics medal table

Medals: Overall Last updated Thu Sep 23 20:28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1. China 30 29 21 80
2. Great Britain 22 13 16 51
3. Australia 15 22 17 54
4. Ukraine 13 7 11 31
5. France 12 13 18 43
6. Spain 11 13 13 37
7. United States 11 12 20 43
8. Canada 11 9 9 29
9. Germany 9 14 24 47
10. Czech Republic 9 7 5 21
11. South Africa 9 7 1 17
12. Russia 9 3 12 24
13. Japan 8 6 9 23
14. Hong Kong 8 6 1 15
15. Brazil 8 4 2 14
16. Poland 7 13 10 30
17. Mexico 7 2 4 13
18. Belarus 6 9 2 17
19. Sweden 6 3 3 12
20. Tunisia 4 3 2 9
21. Iran 4 1 8 13
22. Algeria 4 0 5 9
23. Korea 3 9 2 14
24. Egypt 3 4 2 9
25. Austria 3 3 3 9
26. Israel 3 2 5 10
27. Slovakia 3 1 2 6
28. New Zealand 3 0 1 4
29. Italy 2 4 4 10
30. Nigeria 2 2 1 5
31. Cuba 2 1 4 7
32. Finland 2 1 1 4
33. Azerbaijan 2 0 1 3
34. Kenya 2 0 1 3
35. Hungary 1 8 7 16
36. Netherlands 1 7 3 11
37. Greece 1 5 3 9
38. Thailand 1 4 3 8
39. Denmark 1 3 4 8
40. Belgium 1 2 2 5
41. Iceland 1 2 0 3
42. Morocco 1 2 0 3
43. Switzerland 1 1 2 4
44. Slovenia 1 1 1 3
45. Chinese Taipei 1 1 1 3
46. Latvia 1 1 0 2
47. Kuwait 1 0 2 3
48. Norway 1 0 1 2
49. Turkey 1 0 1 2
50. Angola 1 0 0 1
51. India 1 0 0 1
52. Lithuania 0 1 3 4
53. Argentina 0 1 1 2
54. Ireland 0 1 1 2
55. Palestine 0 1 1 2
56. U Arab Emirates 0 1 1 2
57. Bahrain 0 1 0 1
58. Macedonia 0 1 0 1
59. Panama 0 1 0 1
60. Portugal 0 1 0 1
61. Venezuela 0 1 0 1
62. Croatia 0 0 2 2
63. Serbia/Monteneg 0 0 2 2
64. Jamaica 0 0 1 1
65. Syrian Arab Rep 0 0 1 1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/disability_sport/medal_table/default.stm

lets face it, the americans should do well in any sporting competition because they have the money and the facilities to train anyone to an amazingly high standard. its helps that they have such a massive populations.
ditto china
ditto russia has the population, im not sure what the economic status is like
japan has the money, and the population
australia has a (comparitively) small population, but, per capita, i think we spend abt the same as USA and China.
its just that playing sports is ingrained in us, its a deep part or our national psyche (hell, if we *ever* lose the ashes im migrating!!!:D)
and lets face it, every now and again you come across some prodigious talent, who will do spectacularly, no matter what the sport.

Back