The oldest Army recruit is ?????

--

October 11th, 2004  
CavScout

Topic: The oldest Army recruit is ?????

This may sound weird but at 36 with 3 years previous Army experience (1985-1988) I am considering quite seriously joining the Army Reserves. I am physically in very good shape with no major physical issues but I would have to go through basic and AIT again and the concern that I have is that I wouldn't be able to hack it, regardless of me being in good physical shape or not. Whats the oldest recruit you have ever seen and what happened to them? I feel as if my previous experience both in the Army and out could be beneficial in this day and age with the issues we have going on thie world. All feedback would be appreciated but don't pull any punches, say it like you think it might be. Thanks folks.

(I used the search engine but found nothing to cover this topic)
October 11th, 2004  
Goon

Well it is interesting that I saw this. I am 34 and a prior service Marine. I am headed to MEPS next week to enlist in the Army this time. Being a Marine means I do not have to go to Army Basic Training though. So I will head right to AIT I guess. I will find out and get back to you.
October 11th, 2004  
CavScout

How long were you in and how long have you been out? Let us know how it goes, ok?
--
October 14th, 2004  
Goon

I will. I was active for 5 years and EAS in 95. SO I have had quite a break. I am actually wondering if they will let me go to Basic to get used to how the Army does things. This should be interesting.
October 14th, 2004  
CavScout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon
I will. I was active for 5 years and EAS in 95. SO I have had quite a break. I am actually wondering if they will let me go to Basic to get used to how the Army does things. This should be interesting.
Personally, I am itching to do it...nevertheless, I want to get a little more conditioned before I try.
October 14th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Well it is interesting that I saw this. I am 34 and a prior service Marine. I am headed to MEPS next week to enlist in the Army this time. Being a Marine means I do not have to go to Army Basic Training though. So I will head right to AIT I guess. I will find out and get back to you.
I didn't have to go to Basic or AIT, had the 11B MOS when I joined the Army NG due to training while in the Corps, but was only out of the reserves a year before going into the guard. We had people joining in their 30's, so as long as you can hack the physical demands, the mental crap should be nothing for you. I think you can get some Ibuprofen and Naporsyn while in basic, it what keeps me working out now at 37
October 18th, 2004  
Goon

I am actually more excited about this than I have been about anything in a while. I will let everyone know how things go. I retook the ASVAB the other night. So weird being in a room with a whole bunch of nervous kids. I think their recruiters do not give them enough info about little things like the ASVAB. Hell there were kids there that did not know how it was even scored or that it was broken down into sections testing certain areas of knowledge. Had they never even tried a practice test? Well lets hope they all did well enough to get a shot at changing their lives.
October 22nd, 2004  
CavScout

Quote:
I am actually more excited about this than I have been about anything in a while. I will let everyone know how things go. I retook the ASVAB the other night. So weird being in a room with a whole bunch of nervous kids. I think their recruiters do not give them enough info about little things like the ASVAB. h**l there were kids there that did not know how it was even scored or that it was broken down into sections testing certain areas of knowledge. Had they never even tried a practice test? Well lets hope they all did well enough to get a shot at changing their lives.

How'd ya do?
October 28th, 2004  
Goon

I ended up with a 95. I go to MEPS tomorrow. I am going to have to do battle with the MEPS people to try and get an Opt. 40 contract. I will let you know how it goes.
October 28th, 2004  
CavScout

Quote:
I ended up with a 95. I go to MEPS tomorrow. I am going to have to do battle with the MEPS people to try and get an Opt. 40 contract. I will let you know how it goes.

What is an "Opt. 40" contract?

Update: I found out I think....is that an Airborne or Ranger training slot?