older recruite I am

bjackson911

Hello everyone

This is bulldogg's Younger brother but not by much. I availed myself unto a recruiter today and things sound promissing for this 33 year old Infantry wanna be. I am looking for advise of anykind in dealing with my recruiter in negotiations. I want Infantry, I want Airborne, maybe Ranger school. Is it a good idea to do them all in succesion? I was told that I may go in as a officer as I have thirty hours of college credit from a Fire Academy that I attended at my local community college. Is this just smoke? And is it a good idea to go in as a officer or not? I have another meeting with my recruiter on the 27th. Thanks for all the pearls you are about to impart. I am getting more and more excited the more I think on this. Always wanted to do this. Thanks again

Anybody out there got any pearls of wisdom for him? I've been out for 11 years so my info is pretty much outdated.

It will not be easy for you to be high-speed at that age. I can answer you questions about Ft. Benning and what to expect there. You can ask for airborne school, if the guy says no tell him you will find a recruiter that will. 75th regiment is probably impossible [Ranger unit]. I would say your only chance at Ranger school is if you become a Infantry officer. There are too many 25 year old studs out there who would kill for it and have the experience to deserve it. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Hey Z, take it from me, my lil bro can handle this and the 25 year old studs are no match. I have counseled him to go 11b, Airborne, get some experience and THEN put in for Ranger if he wants it.

11b1p is the way to go. Take it step by step, you might get to Benning and think "holy ****....." Dont let me discourage you, I am just being blunt. Its an attitude that you will grow fond of while being in the Infantry.

Last edited:
BD, you little bro is going to join the army and kick your butt... i talked to him today and your are in for big time trouble.

the funny thing is he asked me if they could be in the same unit together... oh that would just be a commanders nightmare

Hell they did it for the Tillman brothers. :) At least with us they get a couple warriors who will never whinge.

And as for the butt kicking, yeah, I figure he owes me a few and he's welcome to try.

Yup, I would love to go to basic with bd. Remember the assualt courses at Ft. Bengermin Harrison? Can't wait! Thanks for all the time Team Infidel. Much appriciated. Big Z nothing wrong with being blunt I appriciate your candor. I am sorta high speed as is, 100% effort and hart, and frequintly say holy ****. But I understand what you mean. Anything you can tell me about Fort Benning is greatly appreciated. Are you Infantry? Have you taken the route that I am considering? Thanks again everyone for the your time and wisdom. TI I will be giving you a call on or the day after the 27th to ask your opinion. You are two hours ahead of me I think so it may be the 28th as my meeting is at 19:30 my time. Thanks agian for all your help if you need any other info from me for the refferal let me know.

I forgot about that... but it wasn't an assault course, it was the confidence course. Fort Harrison was "chairborne" not airborne.

Yes I am a Infantryman, I am working on getting into a LRS unit now [airborne]. You have to pass a PT test on the spot with at least a 270 to even get looked at so I am working on that. I am in a dismounted recon unit now. Fort Benning sucks my friend... It was easily the most miserable 4 months of my life. It isnt hard though, you just need a strong mind to wade through all of the BS. It is a big mind ****, and the Drill Sgt's are pretty viscous there. It wouldnt be uncommon for someone to wake up in the middle of the night screaming and jump into the front leaning rest position. I have too much I could say about it, you would have to ask me specific questions. Be prepared to ruck out on a daily basis though.

A typical day....

Wake up at 0400
First formation 0445
PT from 0500 till 0630
Change into ACU's for 0700 morning chow
Ruck 2-7 miles to a range
Train in 100 degree heat for 6-10 hours
Ruck back/get transed if your lucky
If your back early enough you get hot chow
weapon/bay maintenance till 2100 lights out

**** up bad enough and you will get smoked for DAYS. My company spent the ENTIRE day at attention/front leaning rest position once because a private didnt stand at attention while talking to a LTC. My knees were shot after that....

Last edited:
How long have you been in Big Z? How old are you? (if you dont mind me asking?). How hard is it to get 270 on a fitness score? what is the highest you can score? Have you seen many guys my age (33) or older and how did they perform? How did the drill sgts treat them? Any worse then anyone else? Did you do your boot camp there in benning? give me an example of the three stages of boot camp? typical day of each. How did you get into recon? What do you like about it what do you hate about it.

If you are older or around my age how is it going through all your training with the younger recruits? Lotta baby sitting? What is your final goal? After jump school any other schooling? Thanks for all the info. Good luck on the airborne. I would love to hear about that as far as training and what not. Take care

I am getting ready to head out for turkey day. I will answer your questions later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks chief. I looked at your profile so I am aware of your age, no need to awnser that question. Have a great thanksgiving, hopefully it is with family. Take care and thanks again for all the advice.

Yes Sir. Am very fat and happy and ready for a long night sleep. Hope yours was a good one TI. Happy thanksgiving all.

I have been MOSQ'd for about 4 months, I just enlisted. My highest PT score at Benning was a 267 and that was PTing at least an hour every day. The highest PT score is a 300. There was a few guys above 30 in there, one of them was a former Marine, he did well. The DS's didnt really treat them any differently. You dont do Basic/AIT for Infantry, we do OSUT. One Station Unit Training I believe. It is one big stretch, you keep the same DS's the entire time so dont piss them off at the beggining... There really isnt stages, it is pretty consistant the whole way through. The Drills start to lighten up towards the end but they will scuff you up just as bad or worse in the later stages. The day I described in one of my previous post is what you would expect all the way through. My straight leg rifle company was just converted to a scout company so I cant really comment on how it will be. We will get some nice new toys and have better chances of getting into schools like sniper/Ranger. You are just trying to survive when you get there so everyone normally stays out of trouble. If one person screws up everyone pays the price so that keeps people straight. My goal is to be high-speed, get all of the schools and move up the food chain. I hope this helps you.

http://flyarmy.blogspot.com/

hey bjackson911, i posted this link because i thought it might be helpful to you. it is about a 40 year old man going through basic training. he isnt going for infantry, i think he was going as psy-ops, with the hopes of becoming a pilot at some point. anyway its a pretty good read, although it hasnt been updated in a while. scroll down and on the right you will find the archives.

Back