Old School vs New

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Some of you can tell from my posts that I'm a big fan of some of the old school games.
Original Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six Raven Shield...
I borrowed a copy of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and I wasn't really impressed.
Not so much that the game itself was bad but the editing flexibility was awful. After plinging it out with some Chinese troops, I tried to get my hand into creating some custom missions and the limitations were just frustrating at best.
The only bad guys I could make were Chinese troops.
No civilians.
Scripting is hard as a hornet's constipated sh*t.

Let's not even get into those mindless COD: MW type games or the latest versions of Rainbow Six...

Why is it that no modern game is just exactly like the original Ghost Recon, only with updated graphics and engine?
It's not like that was a bad game. No, it was excellent and was award winning. Why abandon the winning formula?

You want old school? try Freespace, all eth Ghost recons and call of duty's to me are new school.

Because people who play games casually on consoles aren't willing to deal with the difficulty and thought required by realistic shooters. Considering how expensive it is to make a game these days, publishers aren't willing to experiment at all. They want Halo clones with regenerating health. That's why both of my favorite multiplayer games (Natural Selection and Red Orchestra) started as mods.

Don't be down though, there are plenty of good realisitic multiplayer shooters (though you obviously won't be scripting and creating your own scenarios unless you have level design skills). Red Orchestra, Insurgency, hopefully Hostile Intent: Pheonix Rising (if they ever find animators), and people still play Raven Shield.

Ever notice how everyone loves the FAMAS and L85 in Raven Shield multiplayer? They have well balanced stats and high firing rate, but I like to select weapons that have one distinct advantage. I use the FAL for powerful one hit kills and the MAC-11 for indoors maps, the 99 recovery and insane rate of fire make it a beast close up. I seem to be the only one who uses it as a primary weapon.

Some of you can tell from my posts that I'm a big fan of some of the old school games.
Original Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six Raven Shield...
I borrowed a copy of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and I wasn't really impressed.
Not so much that the game itself was bad but the editing flexibility was awful. After plinging it out with some Chinese troops, I tried to get my hand into creating some custom missions and the limitations were just frustrating at best.
The only bad guys I could make were Chinese troops.
No civilians.
Scripting is hard as a hornet's constipated sh*t.

Let's not even get into those mindless COD: MW type games or the latest versions of Rainbow Six...

Why is it that no modern game is just exactly like the original Ghost Recon, only with updated graphics and engine?
It's not like that was a bad game. No, it was excellent and was award winning. Why abandon the winning formula?

you might like MAG when it comes out, its realistic, with no regenerating health, and 256 players with commanders and the such. But not every one wonts a very realistic game, now i hate COD with a passion, but people like it because their just fun to play, for some people. Play COD on hardcore, its very realistic, no crosshairs, ammo amounts on screen or anything, and you die with one shot to the chest with most guns.

MAG will be a good game, and its a PS3 exclusive game.

Im going to get it when it comes out, its going to be a blast.

ah i know people that play the beta, no buddy cooperates and becuase no one on PSN have mics its impossible to coordinate. I think they should bundle the game with a mic, like socom. Also i love the old versus new school arguements, somehthing that is now old school was once new school, and then it became old, so its just a stupid arguement, everything evolves and changes it a fact of life.

Back