Old Man River

bent there, broke that. Got a buddy in the offshore arena who's teaching me to weld. I reckon 40% of my town's income comes from offshore work.

deerslayer said:
bent there, broke that. Got a buddy in the offshore arena who's teaching me to weld. I reckon 40% of my town's income comes from offshore work.

A Bud of mine just retired as a steam fitter. He lives in Gretna now.

Funny thing, every time a tour ended, the older guys would say "well, that's it for me, you won't see me again." The next time I boarded that boat, there was the same crew, multiple divorces and all. The river is a mistress of a sort, like the Sea.

What's the best part of the river? I wonder where I should have to go in order to see the most fascinating scenaries.

Last edited:
I have favorite parts for scenery. One is close to Helena, Arkansas. North of the bridge between Memphis, Tn and East Memphis, Ak. That is where some of the woodland parks start. Most of the lower river, Cairo, Il to Greenville, Ms looks alike, wide and slow moving with no locks. Above Illinois to St. Paul, Minn is beautiful in the Fall. Almost all of these areas have party or rental boats.

Most of these areas have opened after I left the river. It's a good map, just click on the State and Town to see what attractions each offer.

http://www.mississippiriverinfo.com/statemaps.htm

Last edited:
You're welcome IG but I wish the Mississip was back like she once was, wild. I've seen bald eagles following the boat going along Wisconsin. We were breaking 11 inch thick ice and they were looking for fish to come to the top. We've seen black bear, white tail deer, and every water animal like muskrat and beaver. Oh well, there has to be progress.

I understand your melancholic feelings, Missileer. I know there has to be progress but there's always a way to keep the environment as clean and respected as possible. As for "like she once was", or "things were most fascinating back then", I hope you won't let your memories die.

I'm reminded every time I smell deisel fuel burning. Once a river rat, always a river rat. We've got muddy water for blood.:)

Back