Old ammo from World War II - Dangerous?

Granad111

Hi! I have found this little baby in forest. There was found a lot other stuff too, but not much anything like this. Some of these things what I have been found has year ''1944'' on them. Anyway,

what is this ammo and is this dangerous? Or can I keep this at memory? Tell anything about this to me plz: (And I think this is ISU-122 powder charge head, but is this dangerous?)

3159602585_3b7da34708.jpg

If you don't know exactly what it is,... Yes, it is dangerous.

Take it somewhere remote, dig a hole and light a big hot fire under it. Come back several hours later. If its in the ashes, it probably quite safe, also much of the rust will be gone.

If it's not there, buy yourself a lottery ticket.

Ermm.. I am not sure what to do.. It is so lovely and cool memor about WW II so I dont wanna lose it.. Or should I?

Well, it depends what you choose to gamble with,... your souvenir or your life.

Do as I said, it's the least dangerous option now that you have it in your possession.

To me it looks like a nose plug or fuse from a projectile of some kind, if it's the former it's as safe as houses and burning it will do it no harm at all, in fact it will loosen much of the rust, if it's the latter, it could easily kill you at any moment.

Last edited:
I don't think this piece would kill anybody, but it potentially is dangerous.
Looks like a detonator for a 60mm mortar or similar item.

Nothing short of a burn as suggested would make it safe.

Think of family or friends who might come into eventual contact with it.

An "experienced" civil war ordnance enthusiast died recently cutting into a projectile.
He did something dumb one too many times.

Seno got it right, only way to render it safe is to light a fire under it..
After you have lit it, step away from it.

If it is still there when you come back a few hours later it is safe.

Do not try to scrub any of the rust off before you have done this.
That could be potentially dangerous.

//KJ.

It is far easier to lose the dam thing where it wont hurt any one, or it could be dropped or knocked in side your house and wind up killing some one, the choice is yours

I don't think this piece would kill anybody, but it potentially is dangerous.
Looks like a detonator for a 60mm mortar or similar item.

Nothing short of a burn as suggested would make it safe.

Think of family or friends who might come into eventual contact with it.

An "experienced" civil war ordnance enthusiast died recently cutting into a projectile.
He did something dumb one too many times.

Yeah I heard that story. He used a blowtorch to remove rust from a 135 year old civil war cannonball he found. Except he cut too deeply into the ball and unbeknown to him there was some powder residue inside that was still active. One spark from the blowtorch hitting the residue...

Ka-boom! No more enthusiast.

Granad111

That isn't a toy or a souvenir you've got there, get it tested or get rid of it!

Last edited:
Yeah I heard that story. He used a blowtorch to remove rust from a 135 year old civil war cannonball he found. Except he cut too deeply into the ball and unbeknown to him there was some powder residue inside that was still active. One spark from the blowtorch hitting the residue...

Ka-boom! No more enthusiast.
1 guy was killed recently who had a remote underwater drill to drill into the shells. Had drilled 60-70 of them but something went wrong drilling a large diamiter naval shell & the remote drill wasn't quite remote enough for the situation.

Granad111,
if you're still there,
go for senojekips option.
Don't (DO NOT) store this item in your house until you're absolutely 100% sure this item is save!
Advise your domestic EOD about the whereabouts of your findings as soon as possible. Before there's little kids finding these (possible) dangerous items and go play around with them...

I would do what these others say because you never how deadly it is. Actually it reminds me of a story of a guy who went to France and bought an old Napoleonic shell that actually hadn't been deactivated. He then planned to go back through the Channel Tunnel to Britain with it. Somehow, I have no idea how, the officials found out, arrested him just before he entered the tunnel and he was charged with terrorism. The point this story is trying to make is, regardless of how old it is it can still do what it is designed to do which is to blow up and cause serious damage and death. Imagine how many people could have died if that shell accidentally went off in the tunnel?

Come to Egypt in (al'almen area) and u gonna find alot of weapons from ww2 (german and british weapons).but i agree with senojekips in his first post.

Last edited:
As a collector of WW1 debris found (by myself ) on battlefields, my reccomendation is to never touch or (worst) pick up anything that you do not know exactly what it is (including uncommon variants) and why it is there.

Some items could look innocent and still be lethal after one houndred years. Others could look extremely dangerous but would never explode.
I left untouched several findings that have a big value on collectors' market, and I do not regret having left them on the ground (well, actually in the ice), because I did not know enough about them to feel safe at handling. My life and that of my beloved ones comes well before any "collector's fever".
Luckily I learned a lesson when still a boy: I picked up a small brass tube less than 1 x 6 cm. It was a WW1 era detonator for mining works, ready to explode if simply hit with enough force. It wouldn't have killed me, but i'd have lost fingers and possibly an eye if not warned on time. As said by others, it made a nice "bang" when set in a fire by a competent adult.

By the way, I am more interested in equipment and personal belongings rather than in any kind of explosive device. Fact is that ammunition and unexploded (or even unused) handgrenades and shells are much more common to find than, say, a pair of glacier sunglasses, an intact glass bottle or an empty MG magazine.

The shell in the picture below is a "must have" for A-H shell collectors , but is still there in the ice... armed and ready to kill. It simply hit the target with a very low angle of impact and disappered under metres of snow. A good picture is enough as a souvenir.
piccoloau.jpg

Last edited:
Back