Old ammo from World War II - Dangerous?

--

July 24th, 2010  
Granad111

Topic: Old ammo from World War II - Dangerous?

Hi! I have found this little baby in forest. There was found a lot other stuff too, but not much anything like this. Some of these things what I have been found has year ''1944'' on them. Anyway,

what is this ammo and is this dangerous? Or can I keep this at memory? Tell anything about this to me plz: (And I think this is ISU-122 powder charge head, but is this dangerous?)

July 24th, 2010  
senojekips

If you don't know exactly what it is,... Yes, it is dangerous.

Take it somewhere remote, dig a hole and light a big hot fire under it. Come back several hours later. If its in the ashes, it probably quite safe, also much of the rust will be gone.

If it's not there, buy yourself a lottery ticket.
July 24th, 2010  
Granad111

Ermm.. I am not sure what to do.. It is so lovely and cool memor about WW II so I dont wanna lose it.. Or should I?
--
July 25th, 2010  
senojekips

Well, it depends what you choose to gamble with,... your souvenir or your life.

Do as I said, it's the least dangerous option now that you have it in your possession.

To me it looks like a nose plug or fuse from a projectile of some kind, if it's the former it's as safe as houses and burning it will do it no harm at all, in fact it will loosen much of the rust, if it's the latter, it could easily kill you at any moment.
July 28th, 2010  
MikeP

I don't think this piece would kill anybody, but it potentially is dangerous.
Looks like a detonator for a 60mm mortar or similar item.

Nothing short of a burn as suggested would make it safe.

Think of family or friends who might come into eventual contact with it.

An "experienced" civil war ordnance enthusiast died recently cutting into a projectile.
He did something dumb one too many times.
July 28th, 2010  
KJ

Seno got it right, only way to render it safe is to light a fire under it..
After you have lit it, step away from it.

If it is still there when you come back a few hours later it is safe.

Do not try to scrub any of the rust off before you have done this.
That could be potentially dangerous.

//KJ.
July 29th, 2010  
LeEnfield

It is far easier to lose the dam thing where it wont hurt any one, or it could be dropped or knocked in side your house and wind up killing some one, the choice is yours
July 30th, 2010  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP
I don't think this piece would kill anybody, but it potentially is dangerous.
Looks like a detonator for a 60mm mortar or similar item.

Nothing short of a burn as suggested would make it safe.

Think of family or friends who might come into eventual contact with it.

An "experienced" civil war ordnance enthusiast died recently cutting into a projectile.
He did something dumb one too many times.
Yeah I heard that story. He used a blowtorch to remove rust from a 135 year old civil war cannonball he found. Except he cut too deeply into the ball and unbeknown to him there was some powder residue inside that was still active. One spark from the blowtorch hitting the residue...

Ka-boom! No more enthusiast.

Granad111

That isn't a toy or a souvenir you've got there, get it tested or get rid of it!
July 31st, 2010  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Yeah I heard that story. He used a blowtorch to remove rust from a 135 year old civil war cannonball he found. Except he cut too deeply into the ball and unbeknown to him there was some powder residue inside that was still active. One spark from the blowtorch hitting the residue...

Ka-boom! No more enthusiast.
1 guy was killed recently who had a remote underwater drill to drill into the shells. Had drilled 60-70 of them but something went wrong drilling a large diamiter naval shell & the remote drill wasn't quite remote enough for the situation.
October 1st, 2010  
Cigarz

Granad111,
if you're still there,
go for senojekips option.
Don't (DO NOT) store this item in your house until you're absolutely 100% sure this item is save!
Advise your domestic EOD about the whereabouts of your findings as soon as possible. Before there's little kids finding these (possible) dangerous items and go play around with them...