Old allies = new enemies?

GI_JOEJK

Are these old (pre 911) allies still friends or our enemies now?

Chechen Fighters
KLA/UCK from Kosovo
Mujahideen
from various countries

I think I wouldn't want them on my allies list to start of with! But seeming they are all muslim of some kind, I reckon that they aren't too friendly with the US these days.
Since more and more Chechen fighters turn up in Iraq.... well you do the math.

"A wealthy Saudi named Osama bin Laden was a prominent mujahideen organizer and financier; his Maktab al-Khadamat (MAK) (Office of Services) funnelled money, arms, and Muslim fighters from around the world into Afghanistan, with the assistance and support of the Saudi government. In 1988, bin Laden broke away from the MAK."

I guess not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mujahedeen

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2697219212819574923

After watching this video, I am not so sure who to call the "enemy". It seems as though the US Green Berets participated in the fighting along side the KLA/UCK and Mujahideen fighters (Who were stoned out of there minds) against fellow Christians. And then we get 911 as thanks :(

I blame Clinton for this.

Well, making a deal with the Mujadeen was truthfully like making a deal with the devil, but it was the only way that the Reagan administration would have been able to actively support oppostion to the USSR without direct intervention and the inherent risk of nuclear war.

godofthunder9010 said:
Well, making a deal with the Mujadeen was truthfully like making a deal with the devil, but it was the only way that the Reagan administration would have been able to actively support oppostion to the USSR without direct intervention and the inherent risk of nuclear war.
Most of the "devil" mujahedins in Afghanistan simply wanted to rid their land of foreign rule!

Agreed.

But sometime an alliance of nesecity has to be.

It was like being an ally with Stalin to fight Hitler. One was just as bad as the other, but hey you can't fight everyone at once.

GI_JOEJK said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2697219212819574923

After watching this video, I am not so sure who to call the "enemy". It seems as though the US Green Berets participated in the fighting along side the KLA/UCK and Mujahideen fighters (Who were stoned out of there minds) against fellow Christians. And then we get 911 as thanks :(

I blame Clinton for this.

I agree with you here too.

He had the penchant for going for the politically correct, rather than nesecary. Fighting and supporting the KLA Mujahideen who will no doubt cause future terrorist problems. While ignoring wholesale slaughter and enslavement by militant Muslims in Sudan.

I don't understand the bit about blaming Clinton. Anyone care to enlighten me? Yes, he partly is to blame for ignoring circumstances in Sudan. No, he was not yet president when the US worked with the Mujadeen in Afganinstan. So what did I miss?

Lol, everyone blames Ol' Slick Willy for lots of things. Military downsizing is pretty much the only thing for which I blame him, but what a doosy it is.

GI_JOEJK said:

Chechen Fighters
KLA/UCK from Kosovo
Mujahideen from various countries

I think, we need to understand a few things before calling somebody an ally.
1. To become an ally of yours, one has to have a common enemy with you.

What common enemy the Chechen fighters have with the US of A?
Russia?
I believe, we want to have her as our ally to fight the terrorists?

2. The level of cooperation between the two allies could be SO different!
Just compare how close were the USA and the UK during the WWII and the same countries with the USSR.
Another example - the islamists (e. g. Bin Laden) and the US.
He always has been an enemy. Bu he shared for a time the same goals with the US. He had different sponsors, different supply routes, just a common enemy...
As soon as this common enemy disappeared, his hostility could be channeled towards the US...

boris116 said:
I think, we need to understand a few things before calling somebody an ally.
1. To become an ally of yours, one has to have a common enemy with you.

What common enemy the Chechen fighters have with the US of A?
Russia?
I believe, we want to have her as our ally to fight the terrorists?

2. The level of cooperation between the two allies could be SO different!
Just compare how close were the USA and the UK during the WWII and the same countries with the USSR.
Another example - the islamists (e. g. Bin Laden) and the US.
He always has been an enemy. Bu he shared for a time the same goals with the US. He had different sponsors, different supply routes, just a common enemy...
As soon as this common enemy disappeared, his hostility could be channeled towards the US...

You'll get no argument from me. I have NEVER considered them as our Allies. What always irked me was this ridiculous admiration my fellow Americans had for these "freedom fighters".

So you think none of them were fighting for their freedom and all were fighting to establish sharia state? And if that's what they all want, isn't that freedom?

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
So you think none of them were fighting for their freedom and all were fighting to establish sharia state? And if that's what they all want, isn't that freedom?

I have no problem with Islam, and I respect all who respect me. I do have a problem when radical Islamic groups tried to spread their ideology to areas that never had it before. And speaking of "freedom", you are aware that in most Islamic countries there is no real freedom for non Muslims?

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Yes, some of them were.
However, even in the earlier, "romantic" period of their struggle, even before the war, they have committed horrendous atrocities against the ethnic Russians that lived in Chechnya.

Unfortunately for them, the Russian Government wasn't able to help them or even expose these atrocities to the world public opinion.

The almost independent Chechen state has become a criminal hideout, a centre of the kidnappings and financial crimes.

In the same time, I know a lot about all the injustices made to them by the Russians through the centuries, especially, the communists

GI_JOEJK said:

KLA/UCK from Kosovo

UCK as the organization we once knew it no longer exist, however the UCK veteran organization is active in the Drenas area but with limited capabilities though they make good coffee.

Former UCK soldiers were recruited by the UN to establish KPC (Kosovo Police Corps) and received civilian police training by UNMIK and make a good contribution to secure the future with a few exceptations as usual in Kosovo.

Last edited:
sunb! said:
UCK as the organization we once knew it no longer exist, however the UCK veteran organization is active in the Drenas area but with limited capabilities though they make good coffee.

Former UCK soldiers were recruited by the UN to establish KPC (Kosovo Police Corps) and received civilian police training by UNMIK and make a good contribution to secure the future with a few exceptations as usual in Kosovo.
If they don't recruit ethnic Serbs aswell, I this won't be very good when UN troops leave...
boris116 said:
Yes, some of them were.
However, even in the earlier, "romantic" period of their struggle, even before the war, they have committed horrendous atrocities against the ethnic Russians that lived in Chechnya.

Unfortunately for them, the Russian Government wasn't able to help them or even expose these atrocities to the world public opinion.

The almost independent Chechen state has become a criminal hideout, a centre of the kidnappings and financial crimes.

In the same time, I know a lot about all the injustices made to them by the Russians through the centuries, especially, the communists
I meant specifically Afghans fighting the Soviet troop deployment. But Chechnya is and was in pretty bad shape too (for ethnic civilian Russians and Chechnyans of course)

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
If they don't recruit ethnic Serbs aswell, I this won't be very good when UN troops leave...

No ethnic serbs recruited while I was around in the province, only UCK veterans and former police.

sunb! said:
No ethnic serbs recruited while I was around in the province, only UCK veterans and former police.
This will ensure aggressions against Serbian civilians, which in turn will increase their hatred for the Albanian-led government etc...

Back