Okay, so there's this trend lately at my school...

CDTGaticaW201

I posted this up in the "Things I hate most" thread, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. These people just make me irritated.

Currently, the gangster types are calling each other their fellow "soljah" and sporting *extremely* glossy dogtags (the kind you buy at the mall) with gang signs/group names/pictures engraved in them. Oh, and everyone's beginning to sport every camo you can buy from fubu to Abercrombie. It's getting ridiculous, and it's spreading like the plague.

What do you guys think?

Terrible, I can't believe Abercrombie has lowered thier standards that low. I hate it when kids wear camo to school. Same thing as with the so called "gangstas" who use military paraphernalia and terminology to further thier ridiculous act.

Hmmm......it's so sad, people can't even honor the American Military Uniform. I've seen girls wearing field jackets over swim bikinis at the pool. So sad..........................

The only people who should be able to wear camo to schools are people who are in Junior military groups (in the for of BDU's, and only if the instructers say it's okay), active military (Again, BDU's), or the instructors (For the third go, BDU's).

Also, if you're going to wear dog tags, wear real dog tags. My friend wears his dads old ones(in fact, he can recite the whole thing by heart).

its a trend. they come, they go and in the end the only people who are unfashionable are the people who are slaves to fashion
there are better things in this world to be annoyed at

It angers me also. I see it and want to yell at them that if they are going to wear camo, wear the uniform like it should. Its not more "gangstas" but more of the punks in my school. I only wear camoflague in 3 instances: Hunting, Paintball, Camping due to their practicality.

Only times I wear my cammies are paintballing, at Drills when prescribed, or whenever I'm doing work in the backwoods (pants only) because I don't really have anything else for that kind of yardwork and they were made to hold up against the elements.

I just hope it's a trend that doesn't stick around much longer. I could, however, sackride the trend and take'm all out with my fashion savviness....but yea, no.

Here it's really effecting all groups. The punks here still wear skate and black clothes, but the preppy people have adopted subdued wood-type patterns. Even the sports teams got matching shirts in camo. Now, the gangsters on the other hand, have decided to use the standard pattern with outrageous shades of pink, blue, red, etc.

LMAO
oh i just had a memory of the Ali G movie, where all the "brothas" turned up and each and everyone of them had a different camo style and then they couldn't start the car or something so they formed a human chain and the electric current passed through them and they did that dance move. oh lol that was a priceless moment.

why is it you are offended at people wearing camo? is it because it is part of military unifrom and you see them as using it when they dont deserve it as direspecting the uniform?its just clothing. its the patch, the special colored beret, the tab, whatever that you should be worried about people copying, not something that can be so easily mass produced

DlanoeG said:
I posted this up in the "Things I hate most" thread, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. These people just make me irritated.

Currently, the gangster types are calling each other their fellow "soljah" and sporting *extremely* glossy dogtags (the kind you buy at the mall) with gang signs/group names/pictures engraved in them. Oh, and everyone's beginning to sport every camo you can buy from fubu to Abercrombie. It's getting ridiculous, and it's spreading like the plague.

What do you guys think?

They're articles of clothing. Get over it.

I remember watching Method and Red one time where one of them was wearing a Marine Blues Jacket(I almost didn't recognize it for all the alterations). I wanted to laugh out loud because they probably didn't even know what they were wearing. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

silent driller said:
I remember watching Method and Red one time where one of them was wearing a Marine Blues Jacket(I almost didn't recognize it for all the alterations). I wanted to laugh out loud because they probably didn't even know what they were wearing. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I feel the same when a rapper wears a hockey jersey.

No, It's not okay. Men and Women have DIED in this uniform and people need to respect that. I have no problem with waering BDUS for paintballing, hunting, basically anything with the outdoors. :rambo:

silent driller said:

Actually, driller, they damn well know what it is. As Meth is from the Wu-Tang Clan. A lot of thier clothing style takes after military fashions. Like camo pants and the such. It always has been. Even before this 'trend'. Red hangs out with Meth and it is only natural that they style was handed down by Meth to Red. Including the philosophies and such. The warrior aspect (esspecially that of a Marine) is part of thier philosophies. They actually read a lot of books in Wu-Tang Clan. A lot of Eastern Influences, which naturally brings the warrior aspect to their style.

Pick up a book and read some time, it's fun ;-). (The Wu-Tang Manual, by The RZA)

Ok, just want to agree with all that has been said here, and ask your opinion on something. What do y'all think about someone wearing camo (as in a baseball hat or a t-shirt) not like the BDU type clothes being sportted by everyone now. 'Cause I wear stuff like that, but I do it to show my support for the armed forces. I have a hat that is woodland with the army seal, and I just love it. I think it's cute to wear, and I like being able to tell people I do all I can to support the troops, including the ones in Iraq. Y'all don't take offense to that do you? I mean I have tons of respect for the uniforum and I've lost a close friend this year, I've never gone with the trendy type stuff, it's like "who care's; wear what u want to wear and what u like the best not what all the preps are into". Anyway what's your opinion on civi's wearing camo to show their support?

I totaly disagree with what most are saying here about why kid shouldn't be wearing camo.

I think the kids should wear them, if they want. Its actually good!

This helps them to identify with the military and have affinity with them and think of soldiers as other people too, not just someone out there in uniform.

You don't believe me...

Look at the gangster fashion trend, it galmourizes gangsters and lets kids have someking of identification with them even though they are not.

And yes I do think this gangster wanna-be crap is really stupid.

If something like a fashion trend can be for something bad, why not something good.

bonnieblue716 said:
Ok, just want to agree with all that has been said here, and ask your opinion on something. What do y'all think about someone wearing camo (as in a baseball hat or a t-shirt) not like the BDU type clothes being sportted by everyone now. 'Cause I wear stuff like that, but I do it to show my support for the armed forces. I have a hat that is woodland with the army seal, and I just love it. I think it's cute to wear, and I like being able to tell people I do all I can to support the troops, including the ones in Iraq. Y'all don't take offense to that do you? I mean I have tons of respect for the uniforum and I've lost a close friend this year, I've never gone with the trendy type stuff, it's like "who care's; wear what u want to wear and what u like the best not what all the preps are into". Anyway what's your opinion on civi's wearing camo to show their support?

See, this shows the point that people can rock that stuff and still have respect, even massive respect, for the armed services.

the_13th_redneck said:
I hate gangsters.
I hate fake gangsters even more.
As a kid I wanted to be a police officer and bust up gangsters.

You don't even know what a 'gangster' is. You're going by what you see on TV. I grew up in the projects, and although I never got into it, I know most people turn to the crime side because they feel its the only way out. It kind of puts that impression on you, that you can't get out. You can never do anything, you never have any money, and to some kid's they're never told they can actually be something in life.

I agree though, I think people trying to be 'gangster' because they think it's cool/to fit in, is pretty damn stupid. It shouldn't be glorified. It's a bad life that some people feel they need to turn to.

If it's the fake camo then I don't give a rats @$$. But if it's the real stuff with the patches and all then it ercks me a bit. Unless it belonged to someone in their family who served. Yeah, the whole "I'm a 'gansta', homie" is getting really old really really fast. Definitely if you go to a high school that is located in a middle school in the ghettos. At least 99% of the kids at the middle school are "gansters" and really need a reality check. Or a busted nose. :D My bus is the bus from hell (that's putting it as a euphemism. no joke). Besides, who wants to talk ignorance? The reply I get the most "I'm represintin my heritage, dog" On the opposite end of the spectrum I see.

Focus Fate said:
the_13th_redneck said:
I hate gangsters.
I hate fake gangsters even more.
As a kid I wanted to be a police officer and bust up gangsters.

You don't even know what a 'gangster' is. You're going by what you see on TV. I grew up in the projects, and although I never got into it, I know most people turn to the crime side because they feel its the only way out. It kind of puts that impression on you, that you can't get out. You can never do anything, you never have any money, and to some kid's they're never told they can actually be something in life.

I agree though, I think people trying to be 'gangster' because they think it's cool/to fit in, is pretty damn stupid. It shouldn't be glorified. It's a bad life that some people feel they need to turn to.

Yes, but did they ever wear camo?

Back